Posted Aug 22, 2013
5:13:50 AM
Internet access dropping intermittently once I added ASUS Router behind Gateway

I have Uverse with the 2Wire Gateway.  I added the Asus RT-N66U about a month ago as I need the bandwidth of an N wireless network for the various devices I have (multiple IP cameras, NAS, etc) and for future expansion.  It was a seamless install, but I have been losing internet access once or twice a week since adding the ASUS Router.  The only fix I’ve found has been to do a reboot within the ATT Gateway control panel.  Resetting the IP or resetting the broadband options do not work—only rebooting the system will work.

Here are some interesting things that I’ve observed while the network is down:

-Laptops and tablets will not able to access the internet and any page I request will eventually time out after 30 seconds or so.  This is consistent across four laptops, a tablet and a couple cell phone internet browsers when the cell phone is connected to the WIFI.

-The IP cameras attached to the network still function.  I know this because I can view and control the live cams on my cell phone while it’s on the 4G network—all the while the internet is inaccessible on the computers.

-The wireless Roku boxes still work whenever the internet is inaccessible on the computers.

-The ASUS Router control panel still indicates that it is “connected” to the internet.

Any suggestions?

Internet access dropping intermittently once I added ASUS Router behind Gateway

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 7:19:59 AM
(0)
Employee
How did you connect the Asus to the RG?
If you're only using the ASUS for a wireless access point, then you should plug the LAN Ethernet port of the RG to the LAN Ethernet port of the ASUS. You'll also need to disable DHCP on the ASUS and the wireless services on the RG.

By connecting LAN-to-LAN, the ASUS becomes the wireless access extension of the RG's LAN.
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Internet access dropping intermittently once I added ASUS Router behind Gateway

2 of 5 (297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 1:32:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My first thought in reading your description is a DHCP lease renewal failure between the ASUS and the RG.  Your symptioms don't totally line up with that.

However, ScottMac's suggestion is a good one.  It would remove that issue as a possibility.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Internet access dropping intermittently once I added ASUS Router behind Gateway

3 of 5 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 5:55:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you guys.  Would setting the Asus router as an AP reduce any functionality?  Like USB hard drive, NAS, Aircloud, IP Cameras using port forwarding, etc etc?  In other words, are there any downsides to using AP mode?

4 of 5 (223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 7:11:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It removes the need to set up port forwarding in the ASUS.  It means you'd have to set up the port forwarding in the RG instead.

Basically, the ASUS no longer performs any routing functions.  I'm not sure about the Aircloud functionality, but the NAS should work fine.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (212 Views)