Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 26, 2012
9:19:39 AM
View profile
Intermittent DSL Outages

I have an ongoing issue with AT&T's DSL service to my home.

I have fiber-optic service feeding my home DSL connection. during the last couple of months I have had recurrent outages that have been occuring in the middle of the day. The rest of the time (as far as I can tell), the service is fine.

I am disabled and work from home, and last month, I start getting outages in my connection, while I was working. At first, they were only for about 10 to 15 minutes, but now they are lasting an hour to an hour and a half, usually about the same time of day.

I have had four (4) AT&T techs come out to my home, and they have confirmed that my equipment is working fine and have changed a number of things on the line feeding my home (pair, connection at debarcation point and connection at the DSL service card at their junction case, etc.), but have been unable to resolve the issue.

I am at the point where I think I need to change my ISP, unless this issue is resolved immediately.

I have been unable to work a complete shift, every day that it went out, last week.

AT&T tells me that since they have been unable to be here when the issue is presenting itself, that there is nothing else that they can do. They are sending another tech out, today, to try and see if he can observce the issue while it occurs.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this issue, please let me know.

Egar

I have an ongoing issue with AT&T's DSL service to my home.

I have fiber-optic service feeding my home DSL connection. during the last couple of months I have had recurrent outages that have been occuring in the middle of the day. The rest of the time (as far as I can tell), the service is fine.

I am disabled and work from home, and last month, I start getting outages in my connection, while I was working. At first, they were only for about 10 to 15 minutes, but now they are lasting an hour to an hour and a half, usually about the same time of day.

I have had four (4) AT&T techs come out to my home, and they have confirmed that my equipment is working fine and have changed a number of things on the line feeding my home (pair, connection at debarcation point and connection at the DSL service card at their junction case, etc.), but have been unable to resolve the issue.

I am at the point where I think I need to change my ISP, unless this issue is resolved immediately.

I have been unable to work a complete shift, every day that it went out, last week.

AT&T tells me that since they have been unable to be here when the issue is presenting itself, that there is nothing else that they can do. They are sending another tech out, today, to try and see if he can observce the issue while it occurs.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this issue, please let me know.

Egar

Intermittent DSL Outages

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 10:33:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue. 

I live in an apartment complex with Fiber to the prem. There are multiple times a week where, when I log into ATT.com, there is an outage in my area. For the past couple months, it seems as though our equipment is going out as well. The cable box takes 3-5 minutes to fully turn on, with the light coming on after the first minute, the sound coming in a minute after that, and the picture finally coming up 1-3 minutes after that. 

Our Internet takes a large hit for a majority of the middle of the day. In fact, the only time we're getting our advertised 10mbs is after 8pm. I've ran a lot of speed tests throughout the day to verify this. Many times I'm recieving around 0.53mbs with an upload speed of ~1.19mbs, which is very wierd. 

Egar, are you able to contact ATT reliably? I ask this because every number I call, I respond successfully to all the IVR questions and as soon as it connects me to an agent, the call fails, I get a dead dialtone, or it cannot be completed.

I honestly believe the issue to be server-side conjestion. If so that needs to be taken care of in a timely manner.

I am experiencing the same issue. 

I live in an apartment complex with Fiber to the prem. There are multiple times a week where, when I log into ATT.com, there is an outage in my area. For the past couple months, it seems as though our equipment is going out as well. The cable box takes 3-5 minutes to fully turn on, with the light coming on after the first minute, the sound coming in a minute after that, and the picture finally coming up 1-3 minutes after that. 

Our Internet takes a large hit for a majority of the middle of the day. In fact, the only time we're getting our advertised 10mbs is after 8pm. I've ran a lot of speed tests throughout the day to verify this. Many times I'm recieving around 0.53mbs with an upload speed of ~1.19mbs, which is very wierd. 

Egar, are you able to contact ATT reliably? I ask this because every number I call, I respond successfully to all the IVR questions and as soon as it connects me to an agent, the call fails, I get a dead dialtone, or it cannot be completed.

I honestly believe the issue to be server-side conjestion. If so that needs to be taken care of in a timely manner.

Re: Intermittent DSL Outages

2 of 12 (3,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 3:49:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

The issue is routing related.  I was on with AT&T tech today at about 2:00 EST in NC and we went the typical rond and round with the service, the modem, etc...  I was told that it is my PC that has the issue.  I have been in the technology indstry as an Engineer since 1989.  I have installed and supported the most complex networks on the planet, from the very first Cisco routers (MGX) through FDDI, ATM (OC-3), Frame-relay, BGP, OSPF, RIP, CCNP, CCDP, VCP, etc etc etc alphabet soup.

Dear AT&T:  Its NOT my "PC"...

When I can NSLOOKUP your DNS with a ~20MS response time and I cant get the Google splash to load, its NOT my cookies and cache.

Well, after nearly an hour of verifying that PPPoE authentication is INDEED WORKING and rebuilding my ATM VCI/VPI in the DSLam...  The Tech decided that the only way to resolve this issue is to roll the local truck, with a BellSouth engineer (miss you guys, much love) to my house to hook p his PC to check to see if his Google works. 

Now, this is not the only time that this has happened...  NO.  I have been disconnected FOR NO REASON.  One day, its just gone...  Service cancelled.  I even had to pay a DEPOSIT once to reinstate services.  LOL.  I have been using this crap for 3 1/2 years and never missed a payment.  I have had over 10 lines assigned to my account over the years so that I can expedite the reinstallation process.  To this day I stil have 3 on my account and only two actually show up on the statement.

Once, I contacted the office of the President of the company, and after a nice call back, was assured that I wod have 8 MB service the very next day.  They provisioned the service up to the C/O in my podunk town and never engineered it to my house.  Today, they removed it.  Apparently, I have been paying for the service after the free period at an 8 MB rate and still only have 3 MB service.  It seemed slow, but when I looked at the Modem interface, it shows clearly 8 MB.  Speakeasy says I get between 2 and 3 MB.  I dont rock the boat when its working.  Honestly, thats all I care about.  I wold rather pay the additional 5 bucks not to have AT&T "help" me again.

This is the absolute worst service from a technology company EVER. 

I complained again today and received my $25 shutup offer, and let the sales person go on about upgrading me for free again.  I told her that if I have 8 MB by Friday, I will buy ALL OF AT&Ts SERVICES!  Good luck, lady.  Things look rosey from your Sales office in Atlanta, Orlando or wherever they are hiring fresh college grads now.

The real story is that I lost an opportunity to work today, and each person that I was unable to reach today now knows how bad AT&T services are.  Its all downhill from here.

Why on earth do I have this service you might ask?  Because Time Warner cable refuses to extend its cable to my house 1500 feet up the road.  Neither really need my money anyway and thats fine.  When I move next month to my new house, I will pick someone other than the companies listed in my post.

1.  Call Customer service and ask for a manager.  Get them to credit a month

2.  Call the Office of the President and demand better attention to your account

3.  Tell everyone yo know abot your experiences

4.  Post every single one of them on AT&T's forum

AT&T...  One day I will fire you and it will be permanent... until then, please dont fire the only person in your company that knows what they are doing...  or BellSouth Engineers that you bought but can never full have.

Stan

The issue is routing related.  I was on with AT&T tech today at about 2:00 EST in NC and we went the typical rond and round with the service, the modem, etc...  I was told that it is my PC that has the issue.  I have been in the technology indstry as an Engineer since 1989.  I have installed and supported the most complex networks on the planet, from the very first Cisco routers (MGX) through FDDI, ATM (OC-3), Frame-relay, BGP, OSPF, RIP, CCNP, CCDP, VCP, etc etc etc alphabet soup.

Dear AT&T:  Its NOT my "PC"...

When I can NSLOOKUP your DNS with a ~20MS response time and I cant get the Google splash to load, its NOT my cookies and cache.

Well, after nearly an hour of verifying that PPPoE authentication is INDEED WORKING and rebuilding my ATM VCI/VPI in the DSLam...  The Tech decided that the only way to resolve this issue is to roll the local truck, with a BellSouth engineer (miss you guys, much love) to my house to hook p his PC to check to see if his Google works. 

Now, this is not the only time that this has happened...  NO.  I have been disconnected FOR NO REASON.  One day, its just gone...  Service cancelled.  I even had to pay a DEPOSIT once to reinstate services.  LOL.  I have been using this crap for 3 1/2 years and never missed a payment.  I have had over 10 lines assigned to my account over the years so that I can expedite the reinstallation process.  To this day I stil have 3 on my account and only two actually show up on the statement.

Once, I contacted the office of the President of the company, and after a nice call back, was assured that I wod have 8 MB service the very next day.  They provisioned the service up to the C/O in my podunk town and never engineered it to my house.  Today, they removed it.  Apparently, I have been paying for the service after the free period at an 8 MB rate and still only have 3 MB service.  It seemed slow, but when I looked at the Modem interface, it shows clearly 8 MB.  Speakeasy says I get between 2 and 3 MB.  I dont rock the boat when its working.  Honestly, thats all I care about.  I wold rather pay the additional 5 bucks not to have AT&T "help" me again.

This is the absolute worst service from a technology company EVER. 

I complained again today and received my $25 shutup offer, and let the sales person go on about upgrading me for free again.  I told her that if I have 8 MB by Friday, I will buy ALL OF AT&Ts SERVICES!  Good luck, lady.  Things look rosey from your Sales office in Atlanta, Orlando or wherever they are hiring fresh college grads now.

The real story is that I lost an opportunity to work today, and each person that I was unable to reach today now knows how bad AT&T services are.  Its all downhill from here.

Why on earth do I have this service you might ask?  Because Time Warner cable refuses to extend its cable to my house 1500 feet up the road.  Neither really need my money anyway and thats fine.  When I move next month to my new house, I will pick someone other than the companies listed in my post.

1.  Call Customer service and ask for a manager.  Get them to credit a month

2.  Call the Office of the President and demand better attention to your account

3.  Tell everyone yo know abot your experiences

4.  Post every single one of them on AT&T's forum

AT&T...  One day I will fire you and it will be permanent... until then, please dont fire the only person in your company that knows what they are doing...  or BellSouth Engineers that you bought but can never full have.

Stan

Re: Intermittent DSL Outages - ITS NOT YOU

3 of 12 (3,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 7:00:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by stanyarbrough on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:01:59 AM

Here we are on day 5...   Still no service from a regional outage on Monday.

We have come full circle.  I have been on the phone constantly trying to push the AT&T customer service rope.  Never got a call back from the saleshole that "upgraded" my service.  I now have more problems than I had before - typical for this garbage.  It seems that the order processing and provisioning systems are STILL separated and not interfaced properly even though BellSouth was acquired by AT&T over 6 years ago.  Its the same old story about too many managers and not enough employees with an IQ north of 90.

I think that I might have a clue as to the nature of the problem, so we will see how long it takes AT&T to figure it out.  During the day, there is absolutely NO speed.  I think that they are using multiple bridged devices on my line.  Using an example from the routing/switching world, this is acting like a spanning-tree problem or an ARP issue.  When there is no contention with other lines, I have about 2MB of speed (last night and this AM) but as soon as daylight breaks and others are on the mux, my service crawls, except for DNS.  Odd.  Since DNS and the PPPoE service is located in the large city 30 miles away, this tells me that the return route from the head-in to my device is either flapping (doubtful) or that the inbound packets/frames are being dropped at the bridge device.  So, when there is nothing going on, I am using one device in the bridge and most packets/frames are delivered...  When there is contention, I am discarding.  That is why DNS rocks (single frame) and all other traffic greater the single frame size of 1492 bytes is slow.  It could also be a reassembly problem with the modem but I only see a single VCI referenced in the config.  The log is showing discards but its not really easy to tell what that means or if it is expected or not.

So...  I'm blinking red today, which tells me that a highly trained tier-3 tech is once again troubleshooting my DSL line.  Thats not the problem, son.  The DSL line runs clean.  It is a framing problem upstream or with the DSLAM or mux.  When I get the call asking me to test my dead connection again, I will go ballistic and AT&T will give me "we are sorry that YOU are having issues with your computer equipment".  I will clear my cookies and cache, and all the other nonsense steps again and roll the dice that someone, anyone, in AT&T with some technical engineering capacity will take my ticket.

Yesterday, in vain desperation, I demanded a conference call with the tier 3 engineer working my ticket.  I was informed that "engineers do no talk directly to customers".  It is sad.  Its a sad thing that the qualified individuals are purposefully separated from their customers.  My guess is that the culture of zero-accountability that is so obvious in my interactions with the customer-facing organizations is pervasive throughout the DSL group.  I challenge you, AT&T board monkeys, to call your managers and take a stand for your customers.  After reading the content of this board, I would resign just on principle.  I'll bet that there is so much turnover and stagnation in this company, that it is impossible to get anyone to do anything.  BUT, I have the same BellSouth engineer working the fibermux on my road that I have had for years.  And, like you would expect, toes the company line working hard for that pension, because the fire to stick up for the customer that was extinguished in 2006 is gone.  You might as well try to light a rock.

Here we are on day 5...   Still no service from a regional outage on Monday.

We have come full circle.  I have been on the phone constantly trying to push the AT&T customer service rope.  Never got a call back from the saleshole that "upgraded" my service.  I now have more problems than I had before - typical for this garbage.  It seems that the order processing and provisioning systems are STILL separated and not interfaced properly even though BellSouth was acquired by AT&T over 6 years ago.  Its the same old story about too many managers and not enough employees with an IQ north of 90.

I think that I might have a clue as to the nature of the problem, so we will see how long it takes AT&T to figure it out.  During the day, there is absolutely NO speed.  I think that they are using multiple bridged devices on my line.  Using an example from the routing/switching world, this is acting like a spanning-tree problem or an ARP issue.  When there is no contention with other lines, I have about 2MB of speed (last night and this AM) but as soon as daylight breaks and others are on the mux, my service crawls, except for DNS.  Odd.  Since DNS and the PPPoE service is located in the large city 30 miles away, this tells me that the return route from the head-in to my device is either flapping (doubtful) or that the inbound packets/frames are being dropped at the bridge device.  So, when there is nothing going on, I am using one device in the bridge and most packets/frames are delivered...  When there is contention, I am discarding.  That is why DNS rocks (single frame) and all other traffic greater the single frame size of 1492 bytes is slow.  It could also be a reassembly problem with the modem but I only see a single VCI referenced in the config.  The log is showing discards but its not really easy to tell what that means or if it is expected or not.

So...  I'm blinking red today, which tells me that a highly trained tier-3 tech is once again troubleshooting my DSL line.  Thats not the problem, son.  The DSL line runs clean.  It is a framing problem upstream or with the DSLAM or mux.  When I get the call asking me to test my dead connection again, I will go ballistic and AT&T will give me "we are sorry that YOU are having issues with your computer equipment".  I will clear my cookies and cache, and all the other nonsense steps again and roll the dice that someone, anyone, in AT&T with some technical engineering capacity will take my ticket.

Yesterday, in vain desperation, I demanded a conference call with the tier 3 engineer working my ticket.  I was informed that "engineers do no talk directly to customers".  It is sad.  Its a sad thing that the qualified individuals are purposefully separated from their customers.  My guess is that the culture of zero-accountability that is so obvious in my interactions with the customer-facing organizations is pervasive throughout the DSL group.  I challenge you, AT&T board monkeys, to call your managers and take a stand for your customers.  After reading the content of this board, I would resign just on principle.  I'll bet that there is so much turnover and stagnation in this company, that it is impossible to get anyone to do anything.  BUT, I have the same BellSouth engineer working the fibermux on my road that I have had for years.  And, like you would expect, toes the company line working hard for that pension, because the fire to stick up for the customer that was extinguished in 2006 is gone.  You might as well try to light a rock.

[ Edited ]
4 of 12 (2,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 9:13:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

Here we are exactly 1 week later and still the same unpredictable service, only now with twice the u/s and d/s bandwidth.  The top and bottom numbers on my ADSL are exactly twice what they were before but neither is a service size that AT&T supports.  The upstream is either 320 or 512 and the down is either between 2Mb and 3Mb or 4Mb and 6Mb (6Mb get provisioned at 8Mb on the modem but all frames/packets above 6Mb are best effort).  I now have 2.5 Mb down and 1124 up.  That and the fact that there were TWO trucks at my local fiber box all day on Friday tells me that I now have bonded service.  That also tell me that there is an unidentified line issue between my NTI and the C/O.  Layer 3 still drops on occaison but it is less often and Speedtest shows a throttling after the first few seconds of 100% utilization. 

So the spit, bailing wire and bandaids are holding me together and I have yet to hear back from my technical support rep.  She called on Friday to le tme know that my equipment is the cause of the problem because the line test was clean again.  hate to say I told you so, but...  She says that there is one other engineering group that can take a look, but there is no indication from our conversation whom that might be.  I am thinking that there is probably an internal customer retention or advocacy group that has access to engineers above tier 3. 

Let's see what happens...  I am thinking that I will never hear from AT&T and that my ticket is closed.  Since I am not calling every 15 minutes (you have to dial repeatidly because the IVR dumps you 50% of the time after convincing the robot that you REALLY REALLY mean "tech support"), I will not hear anything until the next local or regional outage. 

Reiterate:  It's not you.  Outages are a result of completely disparate OSS/BSS systems, seemingly inacurate billing systems, and a complete inability to staff DSL Operations with people who can properly navigate these systems nor solve the inherent broken business processes.

Randy and John, hit me up on PM if you would like for me to come fix it for you.

Here we are exactly 1 week later and still the same unpredictable service, only now with twice the u/s and d/s bandwidth.  The top and bottom numbers on my ADSL are exactly twice what they were before but neither is a service size that AT&T supports.  The upstream is either 320 or 512 and the down is either between 2Mb and 3Mb or 4Mb and 6Mb (6Mb get provisioned at 8Mb on the modem but all frames/packets above 6Mb are best effort).  I now have 2.5 Mb down and 1124 up.  That and the fact that there were TWO trucks at my local fiber box all day on Friday tells me that I now have bonded service.  That also tell me that there is an unidentified line issue between my NTI and the C/O.  Layer 3 still drops on occaison but it is less often and Speedtest shows a throttling after the first few seconds of 100% utilization. 

So the spit, bailing wire and bandaids are holding me together and I have yet to hear back from my technical support rep.  She called on Friday to le tme know that my equipment is the cause of the problem because the line test was clean again.  hate to say I told you so, but...  She says that there is one other engineering group that can take a look, but there is no indication from our conversation whom that might be.  I am thinking that there is probably an internal customer retention or advocacy group that has access to engineers above tier 3. 

Let's see what happens...  I am thinking that I will never hear from AT&T and that my ticket is closed.  Since I am not calling every 15 minutes (you have to dial repeatidly because the IVR dumps you 50% of the time after convincing the robot that you REALLY REALLY mean "tech support"), I will not hear anything until the next local or regional outage. 

Reiterate:  It's not you.  Outages are a result of completely disparate OSS/BSS systems, seemingly inacurate billing systems, and a complete inability to staff DSL Operations with people who can properly navigate these systems nor solve the inherent broken business processes.

Randy and John, hit me up on PM if you would like for me to come fix it for you.

5 of 12 (2,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 11:57:32 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting and sharing your experiences.  I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble. For assistance with account specific questions/concerns, please send me a Private Message (click hyperlink to send me a PM) with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting and sharing your experiences.  I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble. For assistance with account specific questions/concerns, please send me a Private Message (click hyperlink to send me a PM) with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 12 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 6:13:18 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ATTAlexCM on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:38:16 AM

OK, AT&T CM Alex...  I am glad to confirm that I am indeed an AT&T customer.  I will PM you my account information and give you an opportunity to affect a better outcome.  If there is anything I DONT like; its being called out.  I also dont appreciate trolls that spew and leave the target no recourse...  So here we go.

Update Day 8...  Unscheduled and UNANOUNCED, an AT&T engineer was at my house today.  Typically, I would expect a heads up so that I can be there to understand what services are being given.  Nope.  No one was home...

To keep you from having to scroll up to the details of my previous post; yesterday I was tracking a little over 2.5Mb / 1100k after 7 days of recovering from a regional outage, which was explained by AT&T technicians to be a reslt of my browser's cache and cookies.  Today, I am 2.7Mb and 410k and the engineer left a door notice that provides ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER as to why he was on my property today.  The only thing that is communicated (in pencil no less - thank goodness it didnt rain) is the correct date, and the words "Speed Upgrade" at the top.  There are precisely 12 check boxes with pre-selected service information that would CLEARLY and CONCISELY communicate the purpose of the service call.  But not one checkbox has a scrawl of pencil.  What I DO know is that the purpose of the visit was not provide a SPEED UPGRADE.   If I were to submit something like this to a customer, drop it on the doorstep and run, I would not only be FIRED, but I would never work in my industry again.

For the rest of those participating by proxy in your own individual dissatified hells....  Here is a image of my account status.  As you can clearly see, my account is paid and reflects a $25 credit to the typical $110 that I have to pay ahead to keep my service from being accidentally cancelled and uninstalled by a pencil-carrying enigma or a Cache-and-cookies technical support rep somewhere so detached from my circumstance that it cannot even make the first drop in a very large and incompetent bucket.

{Content edited for security}

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated and dissatisfied I am with this arrangement.  I feel absolutely unimportant and disrespected by this arrangement. 

Absolutely the WORST service ever.  Bar none.  And I shop Goodwill, Baby.

OK, AT&T CM Alex...  I am glad to confirm that I am indeed an AT&T customer.  I will PM you my account information and give you an opportunity to affect a better outcome.  If there is anything I DONT like; its being called out.  I also dont appreciate trolls that spew and leave the target no recourse...  So here we go.

Update Day 8...  Unscheduled and UNANOUNCED, an AT&T engineer was at my house today.  Typically, I would expect a heads up so that I can be there to understand what services are being given.  Nope.  No one was home...

To keep you from having to scroll up to the details of my previous post; yesterday I was tracking a little over 2.5Mb / 1100k after 7 days of recovering from a regional outage, which was explained by AT&T technicians to be a reslt of my browser's cache and cookies.  Today, I am 2.7Mb and 410k and the engineer left a door notice that provides ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER as to why he was on my property today.  The only thing that is communicated (in pencil no less - thank goodness it didnt rain) is the correct date, and the words "Speed Upgrade" at the top.  There are precisely 12 check boxes with pre-selected service information that would CLEARLY and CONCISELY communicate the purpose of the service call.  But not one checkbox has a scrawl of pencil.  What I DO know is that the purpose of the visit was not provide a SPEED UPGRADE.   If I were to submit something like this to a customer, drop it on the doorstep and run, I would not only be FIRED, but I would never work in my industry again.

For the rest of those participating by proxy in your own individual dissatified hells....  Here is a image of my account status.  As you can clearly see, my account is paid and reflects a $25 credit to the typical $110 that I have to pay ahead to keep my service from being accidentally cancelled and uninstalled by a pencil-carrying enigma or a Cache-and-cookies technical support rep somewhere so detached from my circumstance that it cannot even make the first drop in a very large and incompetent bucket.

{Content edited for security}

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated and dissatisfied I am with this arrangement.  I feel absolutely unimportant and disrespected by this arrangement. 

[ Edited ]
7 of 12 (2,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:36:26 AM
(0)
Community Manager

stanyarbrough wrote:

Thank you stanyarbrough.  I'm sorry about the poor experience. I received your Private Message and replied. Since this is account specific, please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

stanyarbrough wrote:

Thank you stanyarbrough.  I'm sorry about the poor experience. I received your Private Message and replied. Since this is account specific, please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

8 of 12 (2,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 9:15:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:19:28 AM

Day 10 - Apparently AT&T hides the smart techs in Orange Park FL at the DSL Escalation Support Team.  With a single push of the button, Debbie was able to immediately fix my provisioning issues.  Literally, with a 10 second line reset.  Thank you Debbie, Tammy and Alex for you efforts.  It worked.

Now, all of the positivity that I am feeling at the moment while I continuously pressing the SpeakEasy test button in astonishment that there is a clean 6MB DSL line to my house, I still feel inclined to wonder why it took 2 years of promises, calls to the company president, series of escalations, unannounced visits from the pencil-toting enigmatic engineers, essay posting on this forums, 6 different techs in the Metarie, LA office, and countless sales people, to arrive at one moderately-trained and quite perky DSL escalation service person to press a single button on an internal software tool?  Why do the rest of AT&T's DSL technical support people not have Debbie's magical button?  And, how many other people who have to deal with this terrible customer service will never reach Debbie in 2 years?

Experience post mortem:

1.  Post your complaints on this forum and PM a moderator - They send your comments and information to an issue resolution team and ultimately to an escalation team that has the "fix it" button

3.  Do not assume that when you place an upgrade or a service request that your service will remain ON during the execution of the repair or change.

4.  Immediately ask for an escalation regardless of the circumstance

5.  Contact the office of the president and demand performance on your customer agreement.

Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO

San Antonio, TX 78205

I will hold my breath until Debbie calls me back to verify that I am still operational.  If I dont post again...  I am still breathing.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Day 10 - Apparently AT&T hides the smart techs in Orange Park FL at the DSL Escalation Support Team.  With a single push of the button, Debbie was able to immediately fix my provisioning issues.  Literally, with a 10 second line reset.  Thank you Debbie, Tammy and Alex for you efforts.  It worked.

Now, all of the positivity that I am feeling at the moment while I continuously pressing the SpeakEasy test button in astonishment that there is a clean 6MB DSL line to my house, I still feel inclined to wonder why it took 2 years of promises, calls to the company president, series of escalations, unannounced visits from the pencil-toting enigmatic engineers, essay posting on this forums, 6 different techs in the Metarie, LA office, and countless sales people, to arrive at one moderately-trained and quite perky DSL escalation service person to press a single button on an internal software tool?  Why do the rest of AT&T's DSL technical support people not have Debbie's magical button?  And, how many other people who have to deal with this terrible customer service will never reach Debbie in 2 years?

Experience post mortem:

1.  Post your complaints on this forum and PM a moderator - They send your comments and information to an issue resolution team and ultimately to an escalation team that has the "fix it" button

3.  Do not assume that when you place an upgrade or a service request that your service will remain ON during the execution of the repair or change.

5.  Contact the office of the president and demand performance on your customer agreement.

San Antonio, TX 78205

I will hold my breath until Debbie calls me back to verify that I am still operational.  If I dont post again...  I am still breathing.

[ Edited ]
9 of 12 (2,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 1:19:54 PM
(0)
Community Manager

stanyarbrough wrote:

Experience post mortem:

San Antonio, TX 78205

Glad to hear that it appears to be resolved and thank you for the feedback.  If we can help further, since this is account specific, please send me a Private Message and we'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

stanyarbrough wrote:

Experience post mortem:

San Antonio, TX 78205

Glad to hear that it appears to be resolved and thank you for the feedback.  If we can help further, since this is account specific, please send me a Private Message and we'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible

10 of 12 (2,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 9:50:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:54:19 AM

Day 26 - Today, AT&T I fire you.

After 3 Years...    I now get to fire you, right after you finally figured out my account issues.

You Suck...  Good Riddance.  You are irrelevent.   Keep my balance/deposit.

Below is a screen shot from my brand new shiny cable provider.  Note: they are also handling my phone account.  Notice the unplanned commentary from SpeakEasy; DONE!

Day 26 - Today, AT&T I fire you.

After 3 Years...    I now get to fire you, right after you finally figured out my account issues.

You Suck...  Good Riddance.  You are irrelevent.   Keep my balance/deposit.

Below is a screen shot from my brand new shiny cable provider.  Note: they are also handling my phone account.  Notice the unplanned commentary from SpeakEasy; DONE!

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (2,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 8:35:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by rogergresham on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:42:21 PM

looks like AT&T is finally headed in a good direction. Looks like higher speeds and finally a more solid conection even if we have to jump a distance to the new Ip service. Look up the current news of AT&T. It seems all the confusion the past couple of years has been leading to this. No wonder they all seemed so confused, they were. Im excited. Looking forward to faster speeds. I actually have new phone lines creeping towards our area, Just saw them today.

looks like AT&T is finally headed in a good direction. Looks like higher speeds and finally a more solid conection even if we have to jump a distance to the new Ip service. Look up the current news of AT&T. It seems all the confusion the past couple of years has been leading to this. No wonder they all seemed so confused, they were. Im excited. Looking forward to faster speeds. I actually have new phone lines creeping towards our area, Just saw them today.

[ Edited ]
12 of 12 (1,145 Views)