Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jan 11, 2014
10:39:34 PM
View profile
Incoming fax goes to answering machine rather than receive fax.

I have a Samsung sl-m2870fw/xac. I have my fax on ans/fax. i have connected the fax straight to the phone jack on the wall and have my telephone connected to the EXT port on the back. most of the time if not all the time when i get a call to receive a fax the answering machine goes on after X amount of calls and I do not receive the fax. My phone line is not U-verse voice but my internet is I do not know if that is relevant. I have Analog telephone which I think is called POTS. I know my whole has a built in filter that U-VERSE technician installed. I put another filter from the jack going to the printer just because I was trying to fix this issue, so i was trying different things. I know it is not hardware as far as the printer goes because i have replaced the machine with a brand new one and same issue happens. Contacted samsung over 10 times they have no answers for me. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I have a Samsung sl-m2870fw/xac. I have my fax on ans/fax. i have connected the fax straight to the phone jack on the wall and have my telephone connected to the EXT port on the back. most of the time if not all the time when i get a call to receive a fax the answering machine goes on after X amount of calls and I do not receive the fax. My phone line is not U-verse voice but my internet is I do not know if that is relevant. I have Analog telephone which I think is called POTS. I know my whole has a built in filter that U-VERSE technician installed. I put another filter from the jack going to the printer just because I was trying to fix this issue, so i was trying different things. I know it is not hardware as far as the printer goes because i have replaced the machine with a brand new one and same issue happens. Contacted samsung over 10 times they have no answers for me. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Incoming fax goes to answering machine rather than receive fax.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 5:08:21 AM
(0)
Employee
Does the fax work when phone is not plugged in?

To verify you do not have VOIP line, unplug the RG (residential gateway, modem).
Does your phone still work? Yes...POTS, No...Voip.
If Voip is fax approved for Voip (digital phone) as POTS is analog.

Number of rings before picks up setting is most likely issue. (4, 5, 6)
If answering machine is scheduled to pickup first then fax never will unless answering unit turned off.
If change order fax will always pick up first, no answering machine.

Solution need a second phone line or use email instead of fax.
Does the fax work when phone is not plugged in?

To verify you do not have VOIP line, unplug the RG (residential gateway, modem).
Does your phone still work? Yes...POTS, No...Voip.
If Voip is fax approved for Voip (digital phone) as POTS is analog.

Number of rings before picks up setting is most likely issue. (4, 5, 6)
If answering machine is scheduled to pickup first then fax never will unless answering unit turned off.
If change order fax will always pick up first, no answering machine.

Solution need a second phone line or use email instead of fax.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Incoming fax goes to answering machine rather than receive fax.

2 of 6 (293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 8:28:08 AM
(0)
Master

likethiis24 wrote:

I think you want to utilize the "Receive Mode" feature on your fax machine.

Press   (fax) >   (Menu) > Fax Setup > Receiving on the control panel.

When you know you're expecting a fax, set the Receive mode to "Fax", and it should pick up on first ring.

Otherwise set it to "Tel" and the fax should not pick up at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

likethiis24 wrote:

I think you want to utilize the "Receive Mode" feature on your fax machine.

Press   (fax) >   (Menu) > Fax Setup > Receiving on the control panel.

When you know you're expecting a fax, set the Receive mode to "Fax", and it should pick up on first ring.

Otherwise set it to "Tel" and the fax should not pick up at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 6 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 12:29:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
I do have POTS also the ring to answer on the fax machine is set to 2 and my telephone is 5 i still get 5 rings whether it is a fax coming in or a normal phone call. Also something new that happens is when i am on a phone call the fax randomly goes on and interrupts the call.
I do have POTS also the ring to answer on the fax machine is set to 2 and my telephone is 5 i still get 5 rings whether it is a fax coming in or a normal phone call. Also something new that happens is when i am on a phone call the fax randomly goes on and interrupts the call.

4 of 6 (246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 5:50:54 AM
(0)
Master

likethiis24 wrote:

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a phone line splitter, plug that into the wall, then plug the fax machine and the phone into the splitter, instead of having the phone plugged into the back of the fax machine.

likethiis24 wrote:

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a phone line splitter, plug that into the wall, then plug the fax machine and the phone into the splitter, instead of having the phone plugged into the back of the fax machine.

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 6 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 7:00:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
Ive plugged the phone into the wall straight and the issue still persists. Can it be something with my telephone line?
Ive plugged the phone into the wall straight and the issue still persists. Can it be something with my telephone line?

6 of 6 (221 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments