Importing email folders

Tutor

Importing email folders

Hi! I've got Uverse internet now and would like to switch my primary email account from the old sbcglobal.net address to my new att.net one. I can't seem to find a way to import email folders between the two, however. Is there a way this can be done? Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 6 (393 Views)

Re: Importing email folders

evie5 wrote:

Hi! I've got Uverse internet now and would like to switch my primary email account from the old sbcglobal.net address to my new att.net one. I can't seem to find a way to import email folders between the two, however. Is there a way this can be done? Thanks in advance for any help!

If you still have an AT&T account, there is no real reason to switch your email account.

That being said, there is no process provided on the website to export your messages and message folders, but you can export your contacts.

You can use a third party POP email client (like Outlook) to download all your messages. Or you can continue using the email client and not have to go to the website again, as well as not seeing ads plastered on your email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 6 (377 Views)
Contributor

A related question.  Is there a way to export emails from Outlook?  I just set up Outlook 2007 for my wife to use with her SBCglobal email account.  I got it set up fine, but once I did, all of her old emails disappeared from her SBC account when she accesses it from her iPad or directly through the ATT portal.  Has Outlook deleted all of that mail from the server?  Is there any way to get it back, since she uses her iPad most often to check her email?  Can I export those emails from Outlook and get them back to the server?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 3 of 6 (333 Views)

RobGob wrote:

A related question.  Is there a way to export emails from Outlook?  I just set up Outlook 2007 for my wife to use with her SBCglobal email account.  I got it set up fine, but once I did, all of her old emails disappeared from her SBC account when she accesses it from her iPad or directly through the ATT portal.  Has Outlook deleted all of that mail from the server?  Is there any way to get it back, since she uses her iPad most often to check her email?  Can I export those emails from Outlook and get them back to the server?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ouch, you're in trouble. Let me see if I can get you out of the doghouse

Yup, theres a setting in the account set up in Outlook that says something like "leave copy of message on server". You'll have to check that or Outlook will suck down all the messages.

Outlook does have an export function, but as far as I know there's no way to "reimport" them to the AT&T servers.

What you could do (and this is gonna take a little work) is first thing make sure that Outlook setting I mentioned earlier is set to "leave messages on server". Then create a new email/user sub-account for your wife, and set it up in Outlook. Now, using Outlook, forward all the messages that got sucked down back to your wife's original email address, but use the new sub-account as the sender. That should put all the messages back on the server.

Hope this makes sense. Let us know how it goes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 4 of 6 (324 Views)
Contributor

Thank you Joe for helping me get out of the doghouse!  What you suggest makes perfect sense.  My only question - could adding an extra email address to Outlook somehow endanger the emails that are there?  Since those are now the only copies of those emails I am reticent to do anything that could endanger them.  Would it also work for me to forward them from Outlook (which is tied to her main ATT account) to a disposable email address tied to her original account?  It seems like it might achieve the same end without endangering the email contained in Outlook.  Thanks again for you help!

Message 5 of 6 (313 Views)
Highlighted

RobGob wrote:

Thank you Joe for helping me get out of the doghouse!  What you suggest makes perfect sense.  My only question - could adding an extra email address to Outlook somehow endanger the emails that are there?  Since those are now the only copies of those emails I am reticent to do anything that could endanger them.  Would it also work for me to forward them from Outlook (which is tied to her main ATT account) to a disposable email address tied to her original account?  It seems like it might achieve the same end without endangering the email contained in Outlook.  Thanks again for you help!

With Outlook you can have and manage multiple accounts. I have six set up in mine. You can also "send and receive" all accounts simultaneously, or individually. When forwarding in Outlook, it does not send the originals, so they will be safe

I don't know if the disposable email address will work if the messages are sent by the same account that the disposable address forwards to.

Message 6 of 6 (304 Views)