Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2013
6:39:01 PM
View profile
IP not changing! NVG510

I need help changing my IP address! I am using a NVG510, and for weeks it hasn't changed! I've tried everything, and googled everything! Nothing works Smiley Sad, someone please help!

I need help changing my IP address! I am using a NVG510, and for weeks it hasn't changed! I've tried everything, and googled everything! Nothing works Smiley Sad, someone please help!

IP not changing! NVG510

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 9:33:44 PM
(0)
Guru
IP addresses do not change on uVerse. You are handed a semi-sarcastically IP Address. This has been the policy with a number of other ISPs as well.
IP addresses do not change on uVerse. You are handed a semi-sarcastically IP Address. This has been the policy with a number of other ISPs as well.
The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

Re: IP not changing! NVG510

2 of 6 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 10:23:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, it'll NEVER change..?

So, it'll NEVER change..?

3 of 6 (293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 10:38:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The only time it will change is if you get a new port in the VRAD, a tech changes the card in the VRAD that services your connection, or sometimes if you change your physical AT&T router.  Other than that it will remain the same.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

The only time it will change is if you get a new port in the VRAD, a tech changes the card in the VRAD that services your connection, or sometimes if you change your physical AT&T router.  Other than that it will remain the same.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 11:29:44 AM
(0)
Guru

I really don't understand why people get so worked up over not having a changing IP address.  Yes, I know... the barbarians are at the gate.  But, that's the point of the gateway, it's supposed to keep them at bay.

That's the whole idea of Network Address Translation, the technology that's working in the gateway.  A packet comes into the gateway from the Internet, the software in the gateway does a lookup in the NAT tables to see if the packet that came in is because a machine on the inside requested it.  It does this because when a machine on the inside requests data, the gateway makes note of this in the NAT table to make sure that a specific outside port in left open for it to allow data to come in and when that returning data comes in the gateway looks in the NAT table to see where in the internal network it's supposed to go.  Not only that but it also makes sure that any incoming data coming in on that external port is coming from an authorized machine on the outside, that's called Stateful Package Inspection.  That means if a packet comes in from an unauthorized machine that data is automatically dropped and sent to the bit bucket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT

Read that stuff, then you'll understand why changing your IP address all the time isn't something to be worried about.

I really don't understand why people get so worked up over not having a changing IP address.  Yes, I know... the barbarians are at the gate.  But, that's the point of the gateway, it's supposed to keep them at bay.

That's the whole idea of Network Address Translation, the technology that's working in the gateway.  A packet comes into the gateway from the Internet, the software in the gateway does a lookup in the NAT tables to see if the packet that came in is because a machine on the inside requested it.  It does this because when a machine on the inside requests data, the gateway makes note of this in the NAT table to make sure that a specific outside port in left open for it to allow data to come in and when that returning data comes in the gateway looks in the NAT table to see where in the internal network it's supposed to go.  Not only that but it also makes sure that any incoming data coming in on that external port is coming from an authorized machine on the outside, that's called Stateful Package Inspection.  That means if a packet comes in from an unauthorized machine that data is automatically dropped and sent to the bit bucket.

Read that stuff, then you'll understand why changing your IP address all the time isn't something to be worried about.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

5 of 6 (274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 7:46:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trparky wrote:

Yeah, but who knows what's already on his computer and sending out messages/requests, they'll be coming from his computer and will get right through.  Why I still run ZoneAlarm (and MSE) on mine. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

trparky wrote:

Yeah, but who knows what's already on his computer and sending out messages/requests, they'll be coming from his computer and will get right through.  Why I still run ZoneAlarm (and MSE) on mine. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (245 Views)