Ask a question

Highlighted
Posted Jan 26, 2013
8:06:23 AM
View profile
Having to reset modem every time I restart computer

Beginning on 1/12, every time my computer was off for any length of time, my modem's internet light would stay off (power, ethernet and DSL lights remained green) and if I tried to connect to the internet, I'd get the modem page...if I logged in from there OR if I unplugged and replugged the modem, it would then work just fine....until I turned off the computer again. On 1/17, I called tech support who checked the line (which caused it to work again until the next time I shut down) and told me the modem was defective. I replaced the modem (with Motorola 3360 from the local AT&T store - used for one desktop with DSL), connected it and continued to have the same problem. On 1/22, I called tech support again and was told they don't see anything wrong with my line and my modem is defective. I find it hard to believe the new modem has exactly the same problem as the old modem, so tried replacing the DSL filter and internet cable. This appeared to resolve the problem - until this morning when it happened again.

I have not called tech support yet today since they told me they cannot find anything unless I call them when it's not working. It seems almost like something is happening intermittently on the line (or in the phone jack?) which shuts it down, but there's no way to know when it's happening and no way for tech support to find it because by the time I come back to my computer, it's working fine as long as I reset the modem... (I asked them what they suggest and they just told me to call back next time it happens)

So, if tech support can't find anything and I've replaced modem, cable, and filter (and nothing had been changed recently as far as connections, settings, etc. that could have caused this)....what do I do to get this resolved?

Having to reset modem every time I restart computer

10 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 9:44:01 AM
(0)

rabrenne,

"This appeared to resolve the problem - until this morning when it happened again."

How long did it work correctly for, a few hours or days?

Does it ever shut down while your online, or only when you turn your computer off?

If you find yourself unable to get this resolved please feel free to send a Private Message to one of our ATTCustomer Support Team by following the link below. Please include you name, email address, phone number and the best time you can be reached, please also allow up to 48 hrs for a team member to reach out to you.

Private Message

Here is a start guide for your modem.

DSL Modem 3360

James

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Having to reset modem every time I restart computer

2 of 11 (1,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 10:01:58 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by rabrenne on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:49:42 AM

It worked correctly again for a few days - since Saturday, however, it has gone back to doing this every time the computer is off for more than an hour or so (does not happen if I simply shut down and restart the computer right away).  I have not had it happen while I am online.

I did call tech support again yesterday.  They had me reset my modem using the reset button on the back (although I feel like we've ruled out the modem being the problem at this point!) and assigned a new modem password and said they'd call me back today to see if it was working correctly.  It is not.

A couple things that may (or may not) be significant: 

1.  The day before this originally started, we had heavy rain in the area; last Friday - the day before it started again - we also had heavy rain in the area.

2.  When I try to get online and am redirected to the modem check connection page, it shows that everything passed until PPPoE, which failed.  The details under that show that PPPoE connection to internet, PPP connection to PPPoE, and PPPoE server connectivity all passed and it was PPPoE server session that failed.

Thanks for responding - if you have any further input, that would be great, or, if not, I'll message the Customer Support Team.

Editing to add that now that I think about it, it did happen one time when the computer was on, but I was not online - since I am rarely on the computer without being online for very long, there probably haven't been many opportunities for that to happen.

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (1,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 10:53:08 AM
(0)

rabrenne,

I would definitely  get a message to the ATTCustomer care team. I feel it's more than a coincidence that this issue arises after a rain. What's strange is that it only interferes with your service when your computer is off. If the rain is indeed causing this issue I feel  it would cause consistent problems. If a technician is dispatched make sure they're aware of the possible link. Good luck with this issue and if you have the time after this is resolved please post how the issue was resolved.

Thank you for your time,

James

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 11 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 12:04:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks - I have sent a private message, so maybe will be on the right track now.  I will post if we ever get this resolved.

(I just had a call back from yesterday's discussion with tech support - when I told him it was still not working correctly, he told me I probably need to replace my modem....*sigh*)

5 of 11 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 7:54:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

The exact same thing is happening to me word for word. What was the problem and resolution?

6 of 11 (966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 8:05:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think we finally changed the modem setting to "keep alive" instead of "connect on demand".  This made it work correctly, although did not ever really determine what caused the problem.  (AT&T still felt it was not the line and I still felt it was.)  Since then, I have moved to a new house where they offer Uverse, but not AT&T DSL, so I am no longer using the modem anyway.  It did work like it's supposed to for several months before I moved once that setting was changed.

7 of 11 (960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 1:22:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem with modem going out every day. OP says setting change seems to have helped. How do I change modem setting to "keep alive"?

8 of 11 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 2:14:09 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Do you know what model modem you're using?

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 11 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 12:30:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

My modem is a Motorola 2210.  

10 of 11 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 8:19:58 AM
(0)
Community Manager

In your web browser go to 192.168.1.254, this should bring you to a modem set-up page. It might ask you for a username and password, they should be written on your modem.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (676 Views)