Enter network password problem in Outlook 2003

Tutor

Enter network password problem in Outlook 2003

Having a problem with Outlook 2003 and the highly annoying "Enter Network Password" message?  DON'T waste your time on the phone with customer service, who will give you no clue as to the problem.  The REAL problem is an internal one generated by the yahoo.com server which keeps rejecting the password.

The "fix" is a very simple one, not told by customer support.  Go online to the att (yahoo) website where you can access your mail ONLINE, not using Outlook.  Log in to your e-mail account AND read (or look) at at least one e-mail.  Close the webmail (log off) and THEN start Outlook.  All of a sudden, Outlook works as expected.  DO NOT let customer service tell you that it's YOUR FAULT it doesn't work.  The REAL problem lies in their server!

Message 1 of 6 (3,081 Views)

Re: Enter network password problem in Outlook 2003

pc1540 wrote:

Having a problem with Outlook 2003 and the highly annoying "Enter Network Password" message?  DON'T waste your time on the phone with customer service, who will give you no clue as to the problem.  The REAL problem is an internal one generated by the yahoo.com server which keeps rejecting the password.

The "fix" is a very simple one, not told by customer support.  Go online to the att (yahoo) website where you can access your mail ONLINE, not using Outlook.  Log in to your e-mail account AND read (or look) at at least one e-mail.  Close the webmail (log off) and THEN start Outlook.  All of a sudden, Outlook works as expected.  DO NOT let customer service tell you that it's YOUR FAULT it doesn't work.  The REAL problem lies in their server!

Another fix I found was to reset your Winsock Catalog.

Go to your "Start Menu" ---> "Accessories", find the icon for "Command Prompt". Right click the icon and choose "Run As Administrator"

When the command Prompt window opens, type the following:  netsh winsock reset catalog 

then hit "Enter", then reboot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 6 (3,056 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I've tried both solutions mentioned here: opening a message on the server (but I didn't log out of the server) and resetting the winsock catalog. I'm running Outlook 2003 under Windows XP SP3, and I've also tried Microsoft's solutions: creating a new profile and deleting the subkey under HKCU/Protected Storage System Provider key. None of it has worked. I still get periodic "Enter Network Password" dialog box prompts. Isn't there any way to stop this???

I'll try logging out of web mail and leaving Outlook to run now. Perhaps staying logged in to the web mail causes the issue. It never used to, but I'll try that.

Message 3 of 6 (2,911 Views)
Tutor

Logging out of att/yahoo web mail didn't help. So the problem continues. Must be something on the server side. None of the "solutions" I've seen and tried has eliminated the issue.
Message 4 of 6 (2,901 Views)
Contributor

Thank you. This appears to have actually worked for me. I had the same situation where I kept getting the popup for network password, inbound and outbound. Changed passwords several times, but each time kept encountering the same frustration with Outlook. Hope this works tomorrow.

Message 5 of 6 (2,403 Views)
Scholar

Does anyone else have a solution to fix this annoying problem?

Message 6 of 6 (1,669 Views)