Email bots

Contributor

Email bots

Can someone tell me how to completely get rid of the unauthorized emails that are being send from my account? I have changed the password but it appears they are still being sent.

This is the 4th time I've had these bots. I have Norton 360 but it does not seem to be detecting them.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Re: Email bots

mtmfs wrote:

Can someone tell me how to completely get rid of the unauthorized emails that are being send from my account? I have changed the password but it appears they are still being sent.

This is the 4th time I've had these bots. I have Norton 360 but it does not seem to be detecting them.

Thanks

They (spammers, scammers, and ne'er do wells) do not have to hack you or your account. All they have to do is type your address in the FROM: field of the email program they're using to send the spam.

If people in your contacts (address book) are receiving the spams, it could be that one of the people in your contact list has a compromised computer.

If, when you send emails, you use "send to all" or "reply to all", then the people you send to have a copy of your address as well as the addresses of all of your contacts. If they decide use "Forward to all", then your address (and all of your contacts addresses) get sent to all of their contacts, and so on and so on. Potentially your address and your contacts could end up on thousands of other peoples computers by the end of the day. Any of which could be compromised.

If I want to send a message to more than one person I will either send multiple messages, or use BCC (blind carbon copy).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

I am considering closing this email account and using another to stop this from happening.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 4

mtmfs wrote:

I am considering closing this email account and using another to stop this from happening.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, there is no way to 100% stop this from happening in the future, and more than likely the spam will continue from your old account name for a quite a while.

If you were able to change your password, more than likely your ATT/Yahoo account has not been compromised and the emails are not being sent through your ATT/Yahoo account. Otherwise you would more than likely not be able to change your password and/or ATT/Yahoo would suspend your acccount due to spamming.

Besides following the suggestions I've already stated about "send to all" and "reply to all", another step you can take is never use the "Keep me signed in" or "Remember me" options when you sign into your ATT/Yahoo account. When you use those options, the website puts cookies on your computer so that it knows your computer is you and you're signed in. The problem with that is if your computer gets compromised, those cookies can be stolen (copied) and can be used to access your account.

If you do not want to change you address you can help your mail recipients differentiate your mail from the spam by inserting a keyword in the subject line to verify that the mail is from you, like "this is not spam" or "it's me". Any messages from your address without the keyword(s) should be deleted immediately without being opened (or previewed). If they are opened, the spammers know they have reached a live account.

Last suggestion I have is to not use the ATT/Yahoo website at all for your email. Use a third party POP email client, like Outlook. This will allow you to keep all your contacts and email messages on your computer instead of on the ATT/Yahoo website/servers, and protects you from getting locked out of your account and losing access to your contacts and messages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support