Helpful Links

Email account hacked, can't reset PW because sec. quest. changed, but can prove account=mine. Help!

Contributor

Email account hacked, can't reset PW because sec. quest. changed, but can prove account=mine. Help!

I received an email on Sunday (a few days ago) saying that one of my att.net sub-accounts was hacked.

Note: I was checking my primary att.net email address, which was not hacked in any way, and I saw an email from AT&T saying that the email address of one of my sub-accounts was hacked.

It just so happens that this sub-account is the one that I use the most; I use it for everything, and I have some critically important messages in it. And I'm job hunting now, and I've allready send out about 50 resumes with that email address on it.

I can't access this account anymore because the hacker changed the password. And I can't reset the password online because the answer to one of my security questions was also changed. When I called support, I could tell that the guy was really trying to help me, but in the end he couldn't do very much. He even told me that since it's a free account, their policy is to to provide only "very limited" support (I actually understand this policy and don't disagree with it, but I think that they should make an exception in the case of hacking).

Super-Important Note Here----->> I can prove that this account is mine by using simple logic and common sense. I can access the primary account/email account just fine, so doesn't this prove that the sub-account is mine too? The only person who can possibly create a sub-account is the person who controls the primary account. If you work for AT&T then please think about this, and add it to the fact that I can answer one of my security questions, and I can give you all of the previous passwords going back about a decade. When you consider all of this together, I think it's rock solid proof that I own this sub-account. 

Can someone please help me? What can I/we do to take my email address away from whoever hacked it? I opened another email account yesterday, but I still need access to this one because of all of the critically-important messages in it.          

Message 1 of 9
Former Employee

Re: Email account hacked, can't reset PW because sec. quest. changed, but can prove account=mine. He

Hello, davictvc15!

I'm so sorry you're having trouble recovering your hacked e-mail account. I know how frustrating that must be. If you don't mind sending us a private message with your information, we can definitely try to help. Simply click here to send the message, and be sure to include your name, your primary e-mail address (the one you still have access to), your phone number, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response!

In the meantime, let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Message 2 of 9
Community Support

Re: Email account hacked, can't reset PW because sec. quest. changed, but can prove account=mine. He

Hi davictvc15,

We received your private message, and I have responded. Please check the blue envelope in the upper right corner of your screen for my response.

Thanks!

Nicole K. 

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please send us a private message.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

Re: Email account hacked, can't reset PW because sec. quest. - I am having the same exact Problem

I have had a Bellsouth account for over 10 years, It seems others have had the same problem with not being able to access their account over the past few days and the password not working along with the security questions being changed.

I hope to get some help on this as well. I have sent a private email. Please help!!!!!

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Tutor

Hi Davictvc15

Where you able to get access again to your account??

Please advise.

Thx

Message 5 of 9
Former Employee

Hello, Timelord1! Love your user name, by the way.

If you are experiencing the same issues as davictvc15, I recommend that you send us a private message with your information, so we can try to help. Simply click here to send the message, and be sure to include your name, your primary e-mail address (one that you can still access and check), your phone number, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response!

In the meantime, let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Thanks!

-Mariana

Message 6 of 9
Tutor

Hi Mariana,

Thanks for the follow up post. I have sent an email. It is 3:32 EST standard time and have not received a follow up or reply yet.

Message 7 of 9
Former Employee

Hi, Timelord1!

You can expect a reply from a member of the ATTCustomerCare team within two business days, typically.

Let me know if that helps!

Message 8 of 9
Tutor

No this is unacceptable.  I need someone to contact me today!!!!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support