Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Oct 1, 2012
6:54:03 PM
View profile
DSL connectivity keeps dropping

We have had major issues with our internet connection for quite a while now.  It seems like it loses connection every few minutes.  We can "reboot" it by turning the router off and unplugging for the 'one minute', then re connecting it, but 5-10 min later, it drops again.  In the mornings, when I log on to my computer (or even my phone via wifi), it will drop, then a few times during the day it will drop.  Then at night, when my son is playing xbox live, it is a consistent thing to lose connection.  Could this possiblly be a problem with the router, that maybe we need to get a stronger router?  Thank you for any and all suggestions....

Cara

We have had major issues with our internet connection for quite a while now.  It seems like it loses connection every few minutes.  We can "reboot" it by turning the router off and unplugging for the 'one minute', then re connecting it, but 5-10 min later, it drops again.  In the mornings, when I log on to my computer (or even my phone via wifi), it will drop, then a few times during the day it will drop.  Then at night, when my son is playing xbox live, it is a consistent thing to lose connection.  Could this possiblly be a problem with the router, that maybe we need to get a stronger router?  Thank you for any and all suggestions....

Cara

DSL connectivity keeps dropping

15 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2012 10:46:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Seriously?  123 views, and no ideas or help?  Wow....

Re: DSL connectivity keeps dropping

2 of 16 (14,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 6:09:31 AM
(0)
Master

Cara43 wrote:

Sorry, I missed your original post.

What make and model modem/gateway are you using?

How old is the modem/gateway?

How long have you been experiencing this problem?

Are you using the filters that came with your modem/gateway?

Have you made any changes to your internal phone wiring like installing new wall jacks or adding an extension wire to an existing jack?

Have you added any new devices to your phone system like a new phone , fax machine, cable/satellite box, etc.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Cara43 wrote:

Sorry, I missed your original post.

What make and model modem/gateway are you using?

How old is the modem/gateway?

How long have you been experiencing this problem?

Are you using the filters that came with your modem/gateway?

Have you made any changes to your internal phone wiring like installing new wall jacks or adding an extension wire to an existing jack?

Have you added any new devices to your phone system like a new phone , fax machine, cable/satellite box, etc.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 16 (14,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 7:48:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue & have had it ever since I switched to AT&T from Earthlink.net.  I have jumped through every hoop of flame asked of me by every AT&T rep. that I've talked to over the last 2 years.  I have given up.  Now, when the DSL connectin drops, I just keep running the diagnostic tool for the modem/router until the darned thing passes it's diagnostic test.  It does -zero- good to call AT&T because they don't give a hoot nor do they have a clue what the REAL problem might be!  NOT ONE of them has been able to fix our issue in two years time. We've had them come out, we've changed the router, we've disconnected things, we've put filters on every line that goes into the wall jacks:  NOTHING WORKS.  I think it comes down to one thing; poor line conditions in our area that causes oise on the line & they aren't about to spend that much money to upgrade the cables just to satisfy a couple of people.

I have the same issue & have had it ever since I switched to AT&T from Earthlink.net.  I have jumped through every hoop of flame asked of me by every AT&T rep. that I've talked to over the last 2 years.  I have given up.  Now, when the DSL connectin drops, I just keep running the diagnostic tool for the modem/router until the darned thing passes it's diagnostic test.  It does -zero- good to call AT&T because they don't give a hoot nor do they have a clue what the REAL problem might be!  NOT ONE of them has been able to fix our issue in two years time. We've had them come out, we've changed the router, we've disconnected things, we've put filters on every line that goes into the wall jacks:  NOTHING WORKS.  I think it comes down to one thing; poor line conditions in our area that causes oise on the line & they aren't about to spend that much money to upgrade the cables just to satisfy a couple of people.

4 of 16 (14,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2012 7:19:42 AM
(0)
Master

mdituro wrote:

Have they run a new dedicated line from the modem/router to the NID (little grey box on side of house)?

You can send a message to Alex, and he, or someone on his team, will get in touch with you within a couple days to help you get a resolution to your problems. Alex is here to ensure issues are taken care of when standard Customer Service attempts have failed. To see his reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

mdituro wrote:

Have they run a new dedicated line from the modem/router to the NID (little grey box on side of house)?

You can send a message to Alex, and he, or someone on his team, will get in touch with you within a couple days to help you get a resolution to your problems. Alex is here to ensure issues are taken care of when standard Customer Service attempts have failed. To see his reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 16 (14,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2012 10:42:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Our DSL connection problems have only started occurring since 10/04/2012.   We have had very few issues for almost 12 years.  Those that did occur were short lived and usually the result of an AT&T technician showing up in the area.  This latest problem however is exactly as you and others have described.  The connection time is unpredictable but one thing that is predictable is that the connection will drop many times throughout a 24 hour period.  The situation has not improved over the past five days and appears to be getting worse.   The problem occurs with wireless router and direct connection to the DSL modem.  I'll give AT&T tech support an opportunity to resolve the issue but if it goes more than a week or two our relationship with AT&T will come to an end.  The main complaint that I have had with AT&T is the speed of the connection (1 - 1.5 Mbps) that has not improved since the connection was first established.  The speed I can live with but the dropped connections make working from home impossible and I can't live with that.  It may be interesting to see what happens in the days to come with the dropped connections.  Some of my co-workers that have experienced similar issues soon received notification of the availability of U-verse in their area.  I will not wait for that to happen though. 

Our DSL connection problems have only started occurring since 10/04/2012.   We have had very few issues for almost 12 years.  Those that did occur were short lived and usually the result of an AT&T technician showing up in the area.  This latest problem however is exactly as you and others have described.  The connection time is unpredictable but one thing that is predictable is that the connection will drop many times throughout a 24 hour period.  The situation has not improved over the past five days and appears to be getting worse.   The problem occurs with wireless router and direct connection to the DSL modem.  I'll give AT&T tech support an opportunity to resolve the issue but if it goes more than a week or two our relationship with AT&T will come to an end.  The main complaint that I have had with AT&T is the speed of the connection (1 - 1.5 Mbps) that has not improved since the connection was first established.  The speed I can live with but the dropped connections make working from home impossible and I can't live with that.  It may be interesting to see what happens in the days to come with the dropped connections.  Some of my co-workers that have experienced similar issues soon received notification of the availability of U-verse in their area.  I will not wait for that to happen though. 

6 of 16 (14,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2012 11:25:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

join the random droppage club, ATT doesnt care...

dont worry its YOUR modem YOUR computer YOUR wires YOUR wall jacks - but dont worry AT&T service guys can fix it all for  a very expensive fee...

join the random droppage club, ATT doesnt care...

dont worry its YOUR modem YOUR computer YOUR wires YOUR wall jacks - but dont worry AT&T service guys can fix it all for  a very expensive fee...

7 of 16 (14,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2012 8:22:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well I now have a new router, new filters, a few new wires, and now a new DSL modem.  The new modem could not get an IP address so I was forced to call AT&T technical support to ask them to clear out the MAC address of my old modem from their system.  She insisted that the MAC address of my modem was not stored on their system, so I played along and let the tech go through her checklist.  After taking me step by step through all of the steps that I had already tried before calling, she suggested that maybe I should let her send some AT&T technicians out to check out MY equipment.  I knew better and asked her to run a diagnostic on my line.  Guess what?  The new DSL modem got an IP address and the DSL light came on.   

Now all the dropouts would surely stop with all this new equipment.  WRONG!  I got maybe 45 minutes of surfing the web before it started up again.  I'll give AT&T a chance to fix THEIR problem.  If they can't then I'm gone.  

Well I now have a new router, new filters, a few new wires, and now a new DSL modem.  The new modem could not get an IP address so I was forced to call AT&T technical support to ask them to clear out the MAC address of my old modem from their system.  She insisted that the MAC address of my modem was not stored on their system, so I played along and let the tech go through her checklist.  After taking me step by step through all of the steps that I had already tried before calling, she suggested that maybe I should let her send some AT&T technicians out to check out MY equipment.  I knew better and asked her to run a diagnostic on my line.  Guess what?  The new DSL modem got an IP address and the DSL light came on.   

Now all the dropouts would surely stop with all this new equipment.  WRONG!  I got maybe 45 minutes of surfing the web before it started up again.  I'll give AT&T a chance to fix THEIR problem.  If they can't then I'm gone.  

8 of 16 (14,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2012 9:07:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

LOL told ya so!

Id start lookin for another provider.

LOL told ya so!

Id start lookin for another provider.

9 of 16 (14,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2012 7:46:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by BrettMT on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:07:59 PM

First let me say I DON"T have a choice of providers in this area, ATT is the only one.

I've been fooling with them for about 3 months now, (ever since they worked on the main panel that connects more than just our house) over losing a connection every 5-10 minutes, faithfully. We HAVE;

Jumped through the hoops of disconnecting wait, plug back in and all the other normal hoops about a dozen times

changed modems 3 times

changed ALL the cords

disconnected and taken the batteries out of cordless phones

shut down and disconnected all but one computer

ran a separate, and only phone line, (bought from ATT as outside line) right down the middle of the empty spare room to the outside box. As in that puppy is suspended in the air, in the middle of the room, from the router to the window. NO it's not to close to "electrical hot spots"

Unplugged the TVs, the refrigerator and the microwave-yes those were "the problem" for days at a time

Made calls upon calls to att, made every adjustment to the router settings that can be made.

They have sent repair out 3 times, each did something new.

You know what the end result was? Our 4th "router was bad" too. Mind you I can walk any of these routers one door down to my neighbors, connect it, and it works just fine.

And here we are still paying the same for service that comes and goes. My neighbor 6 doors down has the uverse that "is NOT available" to us. So I don't have a choice of which provider my son has to do his online school lessons. Lessons that should take 10 minutes take over an hour.

Now I read back, and for over a year people have been complaining about this very same issue, which tells me ATT overloaded their butt and took on to many costumers, and the equipment can't handle it. They have so many areas locked in as the only provider that they don't care one bit if every one of you go elsewhere, WE have no choice and will continue to pay for whatever we can get.

Hey AT&T!! I tell every military family I sponsor coming in, to go one town over in either direction to get comcast. And, we ask them to do the same when they sponsor other families. When visitors ask us how we like living here we tell them all about you, and how badly we are treated, how robotic your helpless desk is, and inform them getting someone to speak ENGLISH is a challenge, and how you disconnect on friday night and CLOSE FOR THE WEEKEND! I hope I'm reaching enough people at the visitor center where I volunteer!! I make it known our beautiful area has a blight-YOU!

[Inappropriate content removed]

First let me say I DON"T have a choice of providers in this area, ATT is the only one.

I've been fooling with them for about 3 months now, (ever since they worked on the main panel that connects more than just our house) over losing a connection every 5-10 minutes, faithfully. We HAVE;

Jumped through the hoops of disconnecting wait, plug back in and all the other normal hoops about a dozen times

changed modems 3 times

changed ALL the cords

disconnected and taken the batteries out of cordless phones

shut down and disconnected all but one computer

ran a separate, and only phone line, (bought from ATT as outside line) right down the middle of the empty spare room to the outside box. As in that puppy is suspended in the air, in the middle of the room, from the router to the window. NO it's not to close to "electrical hot spots"

Unplugged the TVs, the refrigerator and the microwave-yes those were "the problem" for days at a time

Made calls upon calls to att, made every adjustment to the router settings that can be made.

They have sent repair out 3 times, each did something new.

You know what the end result was? Our 4th "router was bad" too. Mind you I can walk any of these routers one door down to my neighbors, connect it, and it works just fine.

And here we are still paying the same for service that comes and goes. My neighbor 6 doors down has the uverse that "is NOT available" to us. So I don't have a choice of which provider my son has to do his online school lessons. Lessons that should take 10 minutes take over an hour.

Now I read back, and for over a year people have been complaining about this very same issue, which tells me ATT overloaded their butt and took on to many costumers, and the equipment can't handle it. They have so many areas locked in as the only provider that they don't care one bit if every one of you go elsewhere, WE have no choice and will continue to pay for whatever we can get.

Hey AT&T!! I tell every military family I sponsor coming in, to go one town over in either direction to get comcast. And, we ask them to do the same when they sponsor other families. When visitors ask us how we like living here we tell them all about you, and how badly we are treated, how robotic your helpless desk is, and inform them getting someone to speak ENGLISH is a challenge, and how you disconnect on friday night and CLOSE FOR THE WEEKEND! I hope I'm reaching enough people at the visitor center where I volunteer!! I make it known our beautiful area has a blight-YOU!

[Inappropriate content removed]

[ Edited ]
10 of 16 (14,512 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2012 8:38:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

wow that sucks...they got you by the you know whats dont they....

wow that sucks...they got you by the you know whats dont they....

11 of 16 (14,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2012 9:01:24 AM
(0)
Contributor
And they know it, they bought up the little guys in the area..
And they know it, they bought up the little guys in the area..

12 of 16 (14,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 12:20:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

Problem solved.  Fortunately I do have choices.  Made a deal with the devil aka Time Warner Cable.  Fortunately about ten years have passed since I told a TWC rep in my driveway that I would not sign up for their service until Lucifer's crib (AT&T would not let me post the four letter word)  l froze over.   So far so good.  Speed tests using speakeasy.net are reporting anywhere from 21+Mbps to 6+Mbps vs. 1.5-Mbps with DSL.  Guess I lied when I said that I would give AT&T a chance to solve the problem because I didn't.  I have been logged on for hours now without issues.  The only equipment that I have taken out of my setup is the DSL modem. The new Netgear modem that I bought was actually pretty sweet, too bad the ISP could not provide.

Even if TWC was not available I was prepared to seek other options. Huges Satellite is an option even though the speed is not so hot.  My sister-in-law uses that service and it is usable.   I have quite of few trees on my property that might make hooking up to that serivce difficult but that is what chainsaws are for.  Tethering via the mobile phone is also an option.  I have done that before with pretty good results.  I guess we will have see how it goes until TWC attempts to put broadband caps on me.  

Problem solved.  Fortunately I do have choices.  Made a deal with the devil aka Time Warner Cable.  Fortunately about ten years have passed since I told a TWC rep in my driveway that I would not sign up for their service until Lucifer's crib (AT&T would not let me post the four letter word)  l froze over.   So far so good.  Speed tests using speakeasy.net are reporting anywhere from 21+Mbps to 6+Mbps vs. 1.5-Mbps with DSL.  Guess I lied when I said that I would give AT&T a chance to solve the problem because I didn't.  I have been logged on for hours now without issues.  The only equipment that I have taken out of my setup is the DSL modem. The new Netgear modem that I bought was actually pretty sweet, too bad the ISP could not provide.

Even if TWC was not available I was prepared to seek other options. Huges Satellite is an option even though the speed is not so hot.  My sister-in-law uses that service and it is usable.   I have quite of few trees on my property that might make hooking up to that serivce difficult but that is what chainsaws are for.  Tethering via the mobile phone is also an option.  I have done that before with pretty good results.  I guess we will have see how it goes until TWC attempts to put broadband caps on me.  

13 of 16 (14,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 10:07:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Oh I so miss TWC 13 years and never a problem... I wish I could afford satelite, but here it's a bundle only package, nothing under $99 for the first year of a 2 year plan. You really get nailed on the second year..Hmmm Just the way ATT nailed me after 3 months. I was quoted one price, and I got that price, then suddenly the bill shows 20 bucks more a month. Why? The salesperson "misquoted me" I was getting a rate that people who had other services with them received. Would they honor the price I agreed to and turned service on for? NO! I spent an hour on the phone and that answer stayed the same right up the line. Then when I tell them I might just as well turn the service off they remind me I have a 2 year contract...
Oh I so miss TWC 13 years and never a problem... I wish I could afford satelite, but here it's a bundle only package, nothing under $99 for the first year of a 2 year plan. You really get nailed on the second year..Hmmm Just the way ATT nailed me after 3 months. I was quoted one price, and I got that price, then suddenly the bill shows 20 bucks more a month. Why? The salesperson "misquoted me" I was getting a rate that people who had other services with them received. Would they honor the price I agreed to and turned service on for? NO! I spent an hour on the phone and that answer stayed the same right up the line. Then when I tell them I might just as well turn the service off they remind me I have a 2 year contract...

14 of 16 (14,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 4:32:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

You are not alone.  I have had the same problem with at&t for a few years.  I have given up calling their support people.  I could repeat their dialogue word for word now.  I have told the support techs.. There is nothing wrong with my wiring.  This is an old account.  I used to challenge the support techs and ask them... why do I have to connect my modem directly to my compurter.  It is not an easy task and it is not going to prove anything.  Yes, I have filters on all my wall jacks.  No, I have not added anything new to my computer in a long time.  One guy actually did say something new.. He told me he was going to load a patch on my port.  I haven't a clue how you would do that. ,, but I said okay.. he did his thing and it cleared up for about 1 week and then back to the same old thing.  so now...  instead of calling at&t I run a small network program that senses a drop in speed and whenever that happenes it causes my modem to reboot and this will usually bring back my speed.  Not to full speed, but to an acceptable level.  I have given on at&t support.  What is worse is,  we have no other provider we can go to.  I called Verizon and they told me they could not come into my area because if belonged to at&t.   Sure sounds like a monopoly to me.  Oh. and don't think that changing over to dslextreme or any of the other competing providers, because guess what.  Tjhey all use at&t lines and the same problem exists there.  

So to the OP.. I am afraid you are stuck with what you have.  When your speed drops your best bet is just reboot your modem and hope for the best.

You are not alone.  I have had the same problem with at&t for a few years.  I have given up calling their support people.  I could repeat their dialogue word for word now.  I have told the support techs.. There is nothing wrong with my wiring.  This is an old account.  I used to challenge the support techs and ask them... why do I have to connect my modem directly to my compurter.  It is not an easy task and it is not going to prove anything.  Yes, I have filters on all my wall jacks.  No, I have not added anything new to my computer in a long time.  One guy actually did say something new.. He told me he was going to load a patch on my port.  I haven't a clue how you would do that. ,, but I said okay.. he did his thing and it cleared up for about 1 week and then back to the same old thing.  so now...  instead of calling at&t I run a small network program that senses a drop in speed and whenever that happenes it causes my modem to reboot and this will usually bring back my speed.  Not to full speed, but to an acceptable level.  I have given on at&t support.  What is worse is,  we have no other provider we can go to.  I called Verizon and they told me they could not come into my area because if belonged to at&t.   Sure sounds like a monopoly to me.  Oh. and don't think that changing over to dslextreme or any of the other competing providers, because guess what.  Tjhey all use at&t lines and the same problem exists there.  

So to the OP.. I am afraid you are stuck with what you have.  When your speed drops your best bet is just reboot your modem and hope for the best.

15 of 16 (9,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 5:31:19 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

16 of 16 (9,570 Views)