Helpful Links

DSL Service Problems

DSL Service Problems

April 7, 2011

AT&T Feedback.

I have been an AT&T DSL customer for more than seven years.  I lived in Kingston Springs, TN and had the fastest DSL service your company offered.  I never had any problems in Kingston Springs.  Five years ago I moved to Shelbyville, TN.  I was assured by your business office that I could have the same service when I moved to Shelbyville, TN.  Oh, what a dream.  My troubles began on day one.  I had no DSL service.  After several calls to your trouble desk, and promises of a technical visit, I finally caught a service technician inspecting my phone box.  I questioned him about my problem.  He said they were never able to get the high speed internet working this far out and offered no alternatives.  I called your business office to have my service disconnected.  The person there wound up offering me about six months free service and a couple more at half price if I would continue my service.   Reminding her that all the free service in the world is no good if the system does not work, I finally got her to agree to discontinue my service. 

Sometime later, I began receiving letters from your business office assuring me that the problems had been resolved in my area and begging me to return to AT&T.  Since the dial up alternative was driving me insane, I finally succumbed to their entreaties and again signed up for DSL.  The problems began again almost immediately.  My system limped along on one leg   After five years, innumerable trouble calls, and I thought, lowering my service to the lowest DSL speed you offered, my service was going kaput every time it rained in middle Tennessee.  It seems the Shelbyville repair service was tiring of me, so on my next to last trouble call, they sent a young technician from Murfreesboro, TN, a neighboring town.  He told me I was trying to operate at 3Meg  for which I lived two far from the tower and my only choice was DSL light.  Thinking I was already on DSL Light.  I called the business office and had the speed of my service lowered once again.  Still when it rained I lost DSL.  Finally, I checked with a neighbor, found out he has a higher speed DSL from your company, lives farther from the tower than I do and almost never has problems when it rains.  After watching my service go down with every drizzle, I checked to see if my neighbor’s service was ok and it was.  I then placed what was to be a most fortuitous call to your trouble desk.   A MS Ethyl  was very helpful and had a service technician ringing my door bell  that same afternoon.  In five years I have never had same day service before.  Mr. Michael actually listened to me, including the part about my neighbor’s service working perfectly, and the fact that squirrels had chewed into the wiring years before.  After a coupled of tests He pointed to my overhead cable, about six hundred feet long, which ran from across the street.  It seems the squirrels had been chewing again and the overhead cable was not actually the best installation technique.  After replacing the short length of cable the squirrels had chewed on with a more animal resistant shielded cable, he then installed a shielded underground cable from my front fence to my house.  Of course, the cable lay on top of the ground  through a torrential downpour Monday when we had severe thunderstorms and threats of tornadoes in the area.  My DSL, which had been operating at 228kbps on a dry day and would not operate at all on a rainy day, operated at 768 kbps during some of the worst weather I have seen in this part of Tennessee.  The cable has since been buried and my system continues to operate faster than it has since I moved here.   Please issue one “attaboy” each to MS Ethyl and Michael and an “Aw, Shucks” to the rest of your service department, especially the Shelbyville, TN repair crew and all of your overseas trouble desk operators.  The Shelbyville crew’s brilliant solution is for my wife and meto move closer to the tower.  The overseas people usually promise to call back in two hours (which they never do), have a supervisor call me (which never happens), or insist I need a new modem.  I have two used but operable modems for sale if anyone wants them. 

The American operators are much better, but have me go through the same checklist over and over again.  There must be some way to shorten the checks for a repeat problem and get a service technician to the site. 

You might consider a retired English speaking American to work from his home.  I happen to have a degree in Electronics Technology and another in Vocational ED.  I am also a Master Instructor and a certified Master Electronics Technician with forty five years experience in Electronics Service.  One of my seven certifications is in Customer Support.  It seems to me, your staff could use some training in both Customer Relations and Electronics.  Thank you for your attention.

Frank 

Shelbyville, TN 37160-5001

{Personal content removed for safety}

Message 1 of 14
Mentor

Re: DSL Service Problems

Quote: "It seems to me, your staff could use some training in both Customer Relations and Electronics"

Amen to that!

Message 2 of 14

Ye too, Brutai?

Message 3 of 14
Contributor

We have been having the exact same problem for over a year, interent goes out whenever it rains.  Have had technicians work on it 4 times already and problem still not resolved.  They are supposed to be out again this week-end (it's been down for 4 days now...) and I have printed off your issue to give to them, perhaps the squirrels are an issue in our neighborhood as well.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 14

I hope it helps.

Message 5 of 14
Contributor

I have been struggling with poor speeds and dropping DSL connections for years.  Everything was fine until we got rid of our landline and now we have nothing but trouble.  The most recent problem has grown increasingly worse over the last several months and the dropping connections happen so often that it's impossible to access the internet at all sometimes. 

The weird thing is that early in the morning and late at night our connection appears to be fine or at least stays up for more than a few minutes.  During the day, we lose connectivity on average every two minutes.  By the time we get the connection back and the router is ready to go again, the connection drops.  Something as simple as a Google search is impossible and I'm paying for the fastest speed available in my area (AT&T DSL HSI Elite N).

I dread calling AT&T support.  Every time I do I'm on the phone for hours.  We had a technician come out a couple weeks ago and he said he fixed the problem (replaced the box on our house), but the next day our problems were back and getting increasingly worse.  I know I'll have to call support again, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem where the connection only works during certain times of the day.

I'm considering canceling my service, but I my only other option is Charter Cable and I would prefer to stay with AT&T if they can fix the problem.  If they can't fix it in the next month, then I guess I will also have a couple of lightly used, AT&T-store-acquired 2WIRE routers for sale that cost me way more than I'll have to sell them for.

Message 6 of 14
Teacher

Wow.  I wish I could talk to MS Ethyl!  

I dread calling every few weeks to complain about the same problem over and over.  I always ask that my call be elevated to the next level of tech support representatives but I'm always refused.  I don't know why.  I have to jump through the silly little hoops like resetting the modem and router and restarting my computer.  The problem is the slow connection on EVERY computer in the house.  

I am so frustrated right now.  I have a technician coming on Saturday.  Of course, AT&T hasn't inconvenienced me enough already so now I have to cancel plans and sit at home while I wait on a technician.  They can't even give you an exact time which is absurd.  After all of the trouble with the service (or lack thereof), you would think that they would at least offer a discount on the bill of a free month of service, but OH NO!!!

The minute another ISP is available to me, I'm ripping AT&T lines out of my property.  

Message 7 of 14

It sounds as if you may be trying to operate too fast for the local service during peak usage times.  Do you have underground or over head phone line?  If above ground, insist they install an underground shielded cable.  You might try a slower DSL speed if you can afford the wait.  No matter how hard it is, play their silly games and call for service each time it messes up.  Insist they sent out a technician.  Then call the business oddice to complain.  They will knock some off your bill to keep from losing your business.  I have always had at least a month's DSL service for free when I was having problems with the squirrells and the rain.  Also, they will give you some of the specials they offer new customers if you complain enough.  i questioned my bill a while back.  They doubled my DSL speed and halved the cost for six months.  I have had no more DSL problems since they repaired the squirrell damage and replaced my above ground cable with an underground cable.  Good luck.

Message 8 of 14

See my post above. Same applies. jTell business office what you intend to do.
Message 9 of 14
Tutor

Yeah, this is what's happening to me also! My download speed for my DSL Elite service usually stays constant during midnight or in the morning but during peek hours and later at night my download speeds goes all the way to 1 Mbps! This is absurd! I am supposedly paying for a service that it should be at least 3 Mbps - 6 Mbps! However, what I find ironic about it is that I used to have the same DSL Elite internet service from Att about 4 years ago and during my 2 years with them, before I switch to comcast, my Download speed was always reliable and constant! I never experience this slow dowload speed issue during peek hours! And so now that I am back with Att again, I ask myself.... is Att not able to deliver a reliable and constant service anymore due to their DSL infrastructure being to crowed? Or is it a way to make us DSL constumers switch to their Uverse service? If so, then screw you Att, I rather go back to Comcast and pay more. At least with these guys, I won't suffer from slow speeds and the download and upload speeds will be way faster!

Anyhow, I going to give Att a chance, since they were at least kind enough to give me a month free of service, and see if they can come with a definite solution to my problem!

Message 10 of 14
Contributor

did you ever get your problem resolved??

we're going through some similar issues

Message 11 of 14
Mentor

debisavannah wrote:

did you ever get your problem resolved??

we're going through some similar issues

The best way to solve your problem is switch providers. Seriously...I went thru this problem for months and was never fixed. It's not worth the hassle, headaches, and frustration. I pay a little more for DSL now but having 18-25Mbs all day everyday with no issues is so worth it.

Message 12 of 14
Contributor

I will switch but they are the only providers of internet in my community.

Message 13 of 14
Teacher

Well it's been over 2 years now and I still have the problem......except it's worse now.  I've been patient and have given AT&T every opportunity to make things right. They've done nothing.  I did get a $10 credit on my bill which is laughable.  I feel sorry for the customer service agents that work there.  It's not their fault that AT&T doesn't care about customers.  A technician told me recently that they have been sent out and told to appease customers as much as possible but the problems are not going to be fixed.  

Message 14 of 14
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support