DSL Configuration Issues

Contributor

DSL Configuration Issues

Dear ATT,

I had ATT DSL service in Dallas, and was told that I could use the same DSL modem
(Netopia, marked 3347-02-1002, S/N 32683792, MAC 00:0F:CC:F2:B7:10 with labels
on the modem, software version 7.6.1r7 and product ID 1225 according to the modem
home page) for my ATT DSL service in Austin.

In Dallas, my DSL service was configured for a static public IP address, which required
that the modem configuration address be changed from the default 192.168.1.254 to
99.18.123.6  Although the modem still responds to ping at this address (indicating that
the problem is not with the local network configuration) I have been unable to access
the modem configuration either thru the web interface or via telnet, neither will connect.
Note that while in Dallas I had no problem accessing the web configuration via the
99.18.123.6 address. 

The only resolution to this I can see is to do the hardware reset (by pressing the recessed
button on the rear of the modem).  Before I do this, I would like to find out what, if any,
settings particular to ATT DSL service (ie, which were changed by ATT before the modem
was delivered) will be lost and need to be restored before attempting to connect the
modem to the phone line for initial DSL service setup. The only documentation I have
been able to find for this modem refers to a different firmware version (7.7.4) and is unclear
on the effect of doing the hardware reset:

"If you press the factory default button for 1 second, when you release it, the Gateway
will perform a factory reset, clear all settings and configurations, and reboot. Do not
hold the button down too long (5 –10 seconds). This will destroy any saved default
settings as well." 
(Administrator’s Handbook Embedded Software Version 7.7.4 Motorola Netopia 2200,
3300 and 7000 Series Gateways, page 206)

There is no explanation of the difference between "settings and configurations" and
"saved default settings".  I would guess that any ATT service specific settings would be
part of the "saved default settings", but I would like to find out for sure before proceeding.

Also, I will require the modem to operate in "bridge mode" ie, passing the public IP address
which it obtains via DHCP (note, my Austin service is DHCP and not static public IP address)
thru to a firewall device on my local network which will handle NAT and local network DHCP.
I assume that this can be accomplished by means of the Ethernet Bridge/Enable System Bridge
setting in the modem configuration (page 105 of above referenced documentation), and that
this will need to be configured before connecting the modem to the phone line for initial DSL
service setup.  If these assumptions are incorrect and/or incomplete, please advise.

Jim Lehnert

Message 1 of 3 (286 Views)
Community Manager

Re: DSL Configuration Issues

Hello, Jim In Austin!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having DSL configuration issues. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (249 Views)
Administrator

Re: DSL Configuration Issues

Follow these instructions to learn how to configure your AT&T DSL modem to work with a router.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (120 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.