Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2012
3:16:06 PM
Conversion from ATT dialup email account to ATT free email account. Possible?

I've got a heritage "Worldnet" (dialup) email account that has dindled down to just an email service  (dialup and personal webspace has long gone).  I've been paying $7.xx a month in order for ATT (via Yahoo) to maintain this account.  If I go to ATT.net, I can create a free ATT.net email account, so why would anyone continue to pay $7.xx a month for something you can get for free.

The last time I checked with ATT, they said I could not keep the same username ... I'd have to abandon my current username in order to get a new free account username.

I've had this email name ( xxxx@att.net ) since my dial up days (over 10 years) and would like to keep it. It is also my primary (preferred) address.

OK ATT, I'm challenging you to "Rethink Possible"  ... can you convert my old (Worldnet dialup) account to a free account and allow me to retain the same email name in the free account.

As a motivator to get the free account, I recently received a notice from ATT that the cost for maintaining this account will soon go from $7.xx a month to $10.xx.  More reason to convert to free account.

Question:  I want to convert my old worldnet dialup ATT email account (xxxx@att.net) to a free ATT email account and retain the same username (xxxx@att.net).  What's the first step?

Thanks, Dave

I've got a heritage "Worldnet" (dialup) email account that has dindled down to just an email service  (dialup and personal webspace has long gone).  I've been paying $7.xx a month in order for ATT (via Yahoo) to maintain this account.  If I go to ATT.net, I can create a free ATT.net email account, so why would anyone continue to pay $7.xx a month for something you can get for free.

The last time I checked with ATT, they said I could not keep the same username ... I'd have to abandon my current username in order to get a new free account username.

I've had this email name ( xxxx@att.net ) since my dial up days (over 10 years) and would like to keep it. It is also my primary (preferred) address.

OK ATT, I'm challenging you to "Rethink Possible"  ... can you convert my old (Worldnet dialup) account to a free account and allow me to retain the same email name in the free account.

As a motivator to get the free account, I recently received a notice from ATT that the cost for maintaining this account will soon go from $7.xx a month to $10.xx.  More reason to convert to free account.

Question:  I want to convert my old worldnet dialup ATT email account (xxxx@att.net) to a free ATT email account and retain the same username (xxxx@att.net).  What's the first step?

Thanks, Dave

Conversion from ATT dialup email account to ATT free email account. Possible?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 6:48:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same, or similar, question.  But my monthly service charge is going up to $19/mo. per a notice I received 12/31/12.  Did the only service I'm using, email, become free when this at&t email became Yahoo Mail?  I haven't had the landline service that this dialup account started with for over two years.  I have kept (automatically) paying because I don't want to lose all the email bank that I have (all the files etc.).  Is there a way to keep it, not lose all the emails I have saved, but not keep paying?  Have I been paying unnecessarily for these many months?  Thank you!

I have the same, or similar, question.  But my monthly service charge is going up to $19/mo. per a notice I received 12/31/12.  Did the only service I'm using, email, become free when this at&t email became Yahoo Mail?  I haven't had the landline service that this dialup account started with for over two years.  I have kept (automatically) paying because I don't want to lose all the email bank that I have (all the files etc.).  Is there a way to keep it, not lose all the emails I have saved, but not keep paying?  Have I been paying unnecessarily for these many months?  Thank you!

Re: Conversion from ATT dialup email account to ATT free email account. Possible?

2 of 10 (2,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 7:40:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

The $19.xx service is/was to maintain dial up access.  The $7.xx service is the same less dialup service ... Which has gone away anyway.   You must have an alternate method of connecting (DSL, etc).   Because Att usually doesn't openly offer customers ideas on how to reduce their bills, they will let you continue to pay for the higher cost service and not offer you the lower/lesser service.  I had to dig deep into the Att website to find that I could convert my account from the $19.xx to the $7.xx service ( which is being increased to $10.xx/mo).  And then I had to contact them To make the change.  They will not voluntarily offer the option.

Now that ATT has handed email process over to Yahoo and one can get free email accounts from both, why would anyone continue to pay for an email account.   I am in the same boat as you. This old email account ( mainly the name and domain ) is my primary email ID and would like to keep it.   And as long as you keep sending ATT money each month, they're not going to say a word about it. 

As a customer, what I'd like to happen is to have a free account with the same name and domain as my old billed account.  Obviously, one could just cancel the old account and create a new free account however one would probably not get the same email name/ID.

So, instead of the quit and create method,  we're asking for a conversion process that allow us to keep the old name and domain.

Still "rethinking possible".   Thx, Dave

The $19.xx service is/was to maintain dial up access.  The $7.xx service is the same less dialup service ... Which has gone away anyway.   You must have an alternate method of connecting (DSL, etc).   Because Att usually doesn't openly offer customers ideas on how to reduce their bills, they will let you continue to pay for the higher cost service and not offer you the lower/lesser service.  I had to dig deep into the Att website to find that I could convert my account from the $19.xx to the $7.xx service ( which is being increased to $10.xx/mo).  And then I had to contact them To make the change.  They will not voluntarily offer the option.

Now that ATT has handed email process over to Yahoo and one can get free email accounts from both, why would anyone continue to pay for an email account.   I am in the same boat as you. This old email account ( mainly the name and domain ) is my primary email ID and would like to keep it.   And as long as you keep sending ATT money each month, they're not going to say a word about it. 

As a customer, what I'd like to happen is to have a free account with the same name and domain as my old billed account.  Obviously, one could just cancel the old account and create a new free account however one would probably not get the same email name/ID.

So, instead of the quit and create method,  we're asking for a conversion process that allow us to keep the old name and domain.

Still "rethinking possible".   Thx, Dave

Re: Conversion from ATT dialup email account to ATT free email account. Possible?

3 of 10 (2,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 9:19:55 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:07:47 AM

I just called **** and converted from my soon-to-be-$19 account to the soon-to-be-$10 one.  And the CSR says we CAN change our account to free and keep our email and all the stored ones in it.  She said that the $7.95/$10 fee is for technical support, "like if it's hacked".  No help if not paying this.  I have to think about that.  Could be pretty lame.  Never needed it or knew it was included in what I was paying for before.  She did apologize for at&t not letting me know when free became possible.  Which is pretty lame. 

Thanks, Dave, for pointing me in the right direction.  I hope this helps you, and anyone watching, get closer to closure.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I just called **** and converted from my soon-to-be-$19 account to the soon-to-be-$10 one.  And the CSR says we CAN change our account to free and keep our email and all the stored ones in it.  She said that the $7.95/$10 fee is for technical support, "like if it's hacked".  No help if not paying this.  I have to think about that.  Could be pretty lame.  Never needed it or knew it was included in what I was paying for before.  She did apologize for at&t not letting me know when free became possible.  Which is pretty lame. 

Thanks, Dave, for pointing me in the right direction.  I hope this helps you, and anyone watching, get closer to closure.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (2,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 5:38:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

rmulhaupt wrote:

If you convert to a free att.net/Yahoo e-mail account you will LOSE POP3 access to the account.

The current $7.95 dial account is going up to $12.95 per month effective 2/2013.

Dear AT&T Dial Internet Service Member,

We're writing to let you know about a change in price for your AT&T Dial Internet service. In an effort to continue providing you with the high level of quality, service, and features you've come to expect from AT&T, starting with your February 1, 2013 bill, the monthly rate for your AT&T Dial Internet plan will increase from $7.95 to $10.95 per month.

rmulhaupt wrote:

If you convert to a free att.net/Yahoo e-mail account you will LOSE POP3 access to the account.

The current $7.95 dial account is going up to $12.95 per month effective 2/2013.

Dear AT&T Dial Internet Service Member,

We're writing to let you know about a change in price for your AT&T Dial Internet service. In an effort to continue providing you with the high level of quality, service, and features you've come to expect from AT&T, starting with your February 1, 2013 bill, the monthly rate for your AT&T Dial Internet plan will increase from $7.95 to $10.95 per month.

5 of 10 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 5:43:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

dtipton_1 wrote:

If you convert to a free att.net/Yahoo e-mail account you will LOSE POP3 access to the account.  You will also lose any account access support you currently have.

dtipton_1 wrote:

If you convert to a free att.net/Yahoo e-mail account you will LOSE POP3 access to the account.  You will also lose any account access support you currently have.

6 of 10 (2,284 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 6:50:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I can live with loosing POP3.  I access the account at att.net via the browser anyway.

Would this affect the "mail" apps running on tablets?  Would I loose this access?  Hard to believe since I can access my Yahoo email via apps and its free too.

As far as not providing support to a free account ... I have to wonder ... for everyone who signs up to get a free att email account ... ATT provides no tech support at all for them?  Thats hard to believe.

I can live with loosing POP3.  I access the account at att.net via the browser anyway.

Would this affect the "mail" apps running on tablets?  Would I loose this access?  Hard to believe since I can access my Yahoo email via apps and its free too.

As far as not providing support to a free account ... I have to wonder ... for everyone who signs up to get a free att email account ... ATT provides no tech support at all for them?  Thats hard to believe.

7 of 10 (2,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 2:48:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by apollozip on Jan 6, 2013 at 2:48:52 PM

dtipton_1 wrote:

I'm not sure about the mail apps. Create a free att.net accoint and test with it.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413592&cv=804#fbid=4vaPenJwzdC

Learn about my free att.net email account

Your free AT&T email account includes more than just email. You also have access to the att.net site. Although your free email account does not include all of the features available with AT&T High Speed Internet Service1, you'll still enjoy:

• Email - Stay in touch using your AT&T email ID, address book, calendar, and more. Plus access your att.net email on your AT&T mobile phone.2
  • Great content- Stay entertained and informed - from any Internet connection - with the latest news, stocks, sports, weather, and more.
  • Exciting Entertainment- Play daily games, watch movies and TV shows, listen to music and more.
  • Free Software - Get the AT&T Toolbar, Instant Messenger, and Parental Controls - Free!

If you need help resetting your password, please refer to our Password Reset article.

If you need help with other email-related issues, please visit to our Free Email Support website.

Important Note

Because live customer support is not available with free email accounts, it is important that you keep your account security and contact information up-to-date. This information is necessary to validate that you are the account holder, should you ever need to make changes to your account, including resetting your password. If you don't know the answers to those questions or you don't have a current alternate contact email address on file, you could permanently lose access to your account and have to create a brand new email address. Learn how to update your security and contact information.

1Some features, including the Internet Security Suite (McAfee), free AT&T Wi-Fi access, and live customer support, are not available with free AT&T email accounts.

2If you created your free att.net email account after June 2011, your free account does not allow you to create subaccounts or POP/FWD mail.

dtipton_1 wrote:

I'm not sure about the mail apps. Create a free att.net accoint and test with it.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413592&cv=804#fbid=4vaPenJwzdC

Learn about my free att.net email account

Your free AT&T email account includes more than just email. You also have access to the att.net site. Although your free email account does not include all of the features available with AT&T High Speed Internet Service1, you'll still enjoy:

• Email - Stay in touch using your AT&T email ID, address book, calendar, and more. Plus access your att.net email on your AT&T mobile phone.2
  • Great content- Stay entertained and informed - from any Internet connection - with the latest news, stocks, sports, weather, and more.
  • Exciting Entertainment- Play daily games, watch movies and TV shows, listen to music and more.
  • Free Software - Get the AT&T Toolbar, Instant Messenger, and Parental Controls - Free!

If you need help resetting your password, please refer to our Password Reset article.

If you need help with other email-related issues, please visit to our Free Email Support website.

Important Note

Because live customer support is not available with free email accounts, it is important that you keep your account security and contact information up-to-date. This information is necessary to validate that you are the account holder, should you ever need to make changes to your account, including resetting your password. If you don't know the answers to those questions or you don't have a current alternate contact email address on file, you could permanently lose access to your account and have to create a brand new email address. Learn how to update your security and contact information.

1Some features, including the Internet Security Suite (McAfee), free AT&T Wi-Fi access, and live customer support, are not available with free AT&T email accounts.

2If you created your free att.net email account after June 2011, your free account does not allow you to create subaccounts or POP/FWD mail.

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (2,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 2:10:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I converted to the free email account and it still works.  However, the statement that you can add subaccounts if you had your att account before June 2011 is not true.  I have had my att email for over 10 years and moved to a free account last year.  I was unable to set up a new subaccount today.  The technical support people said that my account is not eligible and that there was nothing more they can do to help me.  There is no escalation path.  So just beware if you move to "free" you are likely to lose this option.  Also, don't expect great support.  The phone team does the best they can, however, the on-line support pages are a maze of FAQs and most solutions don't answer the questions that you have.  Needless to say, I'm glad it's free because I would not be happy if I was paying for it.

I converted to the free email account and it still works.  However, the statement that you can add subaccounts if you had your att account before June 2011 is not true.  I have had my att email for over 10 years and moved to a free account last year.  I was unable to set up a new subaccount today.  The technical support people said that my account is not eligible and that there was nothing more they can do to help me.  There is no escalation path.  So just beware if you move to "free" you are likely to lose this option.  Also, don't expect great support.  The phone team does the best they can, however, the on-line support pages are a maze of FAQs and most solutions don't answer the questions that you have.  Needless to say, I'm glad it's free because I would not be happy if I was paying for it.

9 of 10 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 7:40:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I think I'm missing something in this thread  How did you go about converting your fee based xxx@att.net email to a free email?

I think I'm missing something in this thread  How did you go about converting your fee based xxx@att.net email to a free email?

10 of 10 (1,323 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments