Posted Jan 31, 2014
7:49:08 AM
View profile
Constantly rebooting modem, running AT&T diagnostic tool, or re-entering modem password in router.

I've assisted in helping a friend get setup with their AT&T internet connection a few years ago. In the last two years they've starting having problems with being unable to access the internet every few months. Their setup is a Siemens SpeedStream 4100 modem connected to a Netgear Wndr3400v2 router runing firmware Firmware v1.0.0.38_1.0.61. The modem is setup in bridge mode and it functions properly for a few months without issues but the internet connection will just stop functioning for all connected devices.

The resoultion to the connection problems can usually be resolved one of three ways.

1) Usually it's a matter of just power cycling the modem.

2) Running the AT&T troubleshoot and resolve tool. This is the most common solution and the process usually involves the tool having to re-activate the modem for the account as if the modem had never been activated before.

3) Re-entering the modem access password in the router's PPPoE connection settings.

I've never experienced so many problems with an internet connection before. We've replaced the modem and the router and the same issues persist so I don't see how it could be a hardware problem.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I've assisted in helping a friend get setup with their AT&T internet connection a few years ago. In the last two years they've starting having problems with being unable to access the internet every few months. Their setup is a Siemens SpeedStream 4100 modem connected to a Netgear Wndr3400v2 router runing firmware Firmware v1.0.0.38_1.0.61. The modem is setup in bridge mode and it functions properly for a few months without issues but the internet connection will just stop functioning for all connected devices.

The resoultion to the connection problems can usually be resolved one of three ways.

1) Usually it's a matter of just power cycling the modem.

2) Running the AT&T troubleshoot and resolve tool. This is the most common solution and the process usually involves the tool having to re-activate the modem for the account as if the modem had never been activated before.

3) Re-entering the modem access password in the router's PPPoE connection settings.

I've never experienced so many problems with an internet connection before. We've replaced the modem and the router and the same issues persist so I don't see how it could be a hardware problem.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Constantly rebooting modem, running AT&T diagnostic tool, or re-entering modem password in router.

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 1:02:41 PM
(0)
Employee

1) Make sure you power cycle the modem for at least 2 minutes. (power and dsl cable) this would insure good power discharge. you want to do this on both the router and modem.

2) Would not work since modem is in bridge mode and speedstream is to old to be reprogrammed automatically.

3) If you have you have to reenter password on router, there may be a problem with router. 

4) You should call tech support since there maybe be a line quality issue and only att can see such problem and could cause temporary lost of authentication. 

5) Call att and ask for a replacement modme, yours is out of warrant for sure. They will charge for it, but you can always ask for the retention department to see if they can help with the price, thats if you have the PRO package or above.

Luck to you.

1) Make sure you power cycle the modem for at least 2 minutes. (power and dsl cable) this would insure good power discharge. you want to do this on both the router and modem.

2) Would not work since modem is in bridge mode and speedstream is to old to be reprogrammed automatically.

3) If you have you have to reenter password on router, there may be a problem with router. 

4) You should call tech support since there maybe be a line quality issue and only att can see such problem and could cause temporary lost of authentication. 

5) Call att and ask for a replacement modme, yours is out of warrant for sure. They will charge for it, but you can always ask for the retention department to see if they can help with the price, thats if you have the PRO package or above.

Luck to you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Constantly rebooting modem, running AT&T diagnostic tool, or re-entering modem password in r

2 of 4 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 5:04:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had this problem twice in the last few years. In both instances I try to troubleshoot through the website and then finally speak to a representative.  I was told it was more than likely a hardware issue and did I wish to purchase a modem.  After taking the modem to the ATT store the first time, it was suggested that it could be the power cord.  As a means of continuing to troubleshoot, I bought the power cord, took it home and voila.. I have a good connection.

Both times replacing the power cord ($10.00 at the AT&T store) has solved the issue.

I hope this helps.

I've had this problem twice in the last few years. In both instances I try to troubleshoot through the website and then finally speak to a representative.  I was told it was more than likely a hardware issue and did I wish to purchase a modem.  After taking the modem to the ATT store the first time, it was suggested that it could be the power cord.  As a means of continuing to troubleshoot, I bought the power cord, took it home and voila.. I have a good connection.

Both times replacing the power cord ($10.00 at the AT&T store) has solved the issue.

I hope this helps.

Re: Constantly rebooting modem, running AT&T diagnostic tool, or re-entering modem password in r

3 of 4 (261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 4:27:50 PM
(0)

After having the connection problems twice in one week I inquired about the age of the powerstrip and the wiring in the walls. The power strip is about ten years old but the writing is significantly older.

Just rebooting the modem and then the router everything came back online so it's most likely a power problem as Joelja mentioned. The power strip has been replaced so well have to wait to see if that amends the issue. If out well have to move the modem and router to a room that has new wiring.

After having the connection problems twice in one week I inquired about the age of the powerstrip and the wiring in the walls. The power strip is about ten years old but the writing is significantly older.

Just rebooting the modem and then the router everything came back online so it's most likely a power problem as Joelja mentioned. The power strip has been replaced so well have to wait to see if that amends the issue. If out well have to move the modem and router to a room that has new wiring.

4 of 4 (213 Views)