Changing MAC Address on Uverse

Contributor

Changing MAC Address on Uverse

Before switching to Uverse, I used a Linksys router and cable modem.  When I'd get blocked from various media web sites, I'd change the MAC address through the router and be back online without my other devices being affected.  I'm still using the same Linksys router with the RG -- not sure how it works or is set up, as the technician did it all on install.  Does anyone know a way to accomplish the same result of changing the MAC address?  When I try to do the same thing that I used to do through the Linksys router, it doesn't work any more.  Many thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 3 (927 Views)

Re: Changing MAC Address on Uverse

stottle4375 wrote:

Before switching to Uverse, I used a Linksys router and cable modem.  When I'd get blocked from various media web sites, I'd change the MAC address through the router and be back online without my other devices being affected.  I'm still using the same Linksys router with the RG -- not sure how it works or is set up, as the technician did it all on install.  Does anyone know a way to accomplish the same result of changing the MAC address?  When I try to do the same thing that I used to do through the Linksys router, it doesn't work any more.  Many thanks for any advice!

Well, I think you're talking about the IP address as your MAC address should not be visible to anyone on the internet.

With old style DSL you could change your IP address usually by just disconnecting and reconnecting you modem/router. With Uverse that process will not get you a different IP address. The IP addresses are what they call "sticky". Still considered dynamic, but hardly ever changes.

My suggestion is to stop doing stuff that gets you banned from websites.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 3 (914 Views)
Tutor

Re: Changing MAC Address on Uverse

I'm having the same issue, looking for advice and 

"My suggestion is to stop doing stuff that gets you banned from websites."

is certainly not helpful advice on how to fix the problem.  I've been locked out of my work's website therefore leaving me unable to access my email on the online server.  As much as I'd love to stop working... that is not really an option right now.

Several forums I read suggested changing the MAC address but when I log into my router it doesn't give an option to make any changes.  

Message 3 of 3 (724 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.