Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 28, 2012
9:39:02 AM
View profile
Can't send work email from home through POP3 / SMTP

I have a work email address that I need to be able to send from while at home.

I know all about the outbound.att smtp server deal.  The problems with that are:

1.  When I send from my work email using the ATT outgoing smtp server people receive it showing that it is from my personal att.net address.  That is not ok.

2.  When I configure my email client to use the outbound att smtp server and then return to my place of work - I can no longer send email as I'm not at my home internet source.  It cannot reach the att smtp server.

I need to be able to configure my work email as an account in mac mail that I can receive and send from without using att.net's outgoing server.

I've seen countless threads about this - all of which namely pointing to the idea that I need ATT to approve my work mail server as an authorized smtp server.  Tech support on the phone didn't seem to know about that.  They said I would have to pay money to talk to someone who might - said it could cost $50.

If that is the case I find it hard to believe that a company as large as ATT would require all of its users to send confidential work related emails through their server.

Again:

1.  I know about the outgoing att.net servers.

2.  This has nothing to do with my work ISP as the phone tech said it might.

It's a pretty standard procedure to add your work email to your home computer or mobile phone, so there must be a way that ATT allows this without compromising the security of businesses nationwide.

Can someone please help me to configure the email to use my work's smtp server?

I know all about the outbound.att smtp server deal.  The problems with that are:

1.  When I send from my work email using the ATT outgoing smtp server people receive it showing that it is from my personal att.net address.  That is not ok.

2.  When I configure my email client to use the outbound att smtp server and then return to my place of work - I can no longer send email as I'm not at my home internet source.  It cannot reach the att smtp server.

I need to be able to configure my work email as an account in mac mail that I can receive and send from without using att.net's outgoing server.

I've seen countless threads about this - all of which namely pointing to the idea that I need ATT to approve my work mail server as an authorized smtp server.  Tech support on the phone didn't seem to know about that.  They said I would have to pay money to talk to someone who might - said it could cost $50.

If that is the case I find it hard to believe that a company as large as ATT would require all of its users to send confidential work related emails through their server.

Again:

It's a pretty standard procedure to add your work email to your home computer or mobile phone, so there must be a way that ATT allows this without compromising the security of businesses nationwide.

Can't send work email from home through POP3 / SMTP

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 10:24:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have same problem. I have had uvers for several yrs. using macs. also set my parents up on uverse 1-2yrs ago. all worked well up untill 1-2wks ago. I could send out and recieve using my business emails thru my email provider (godady), but now can only recieve. Also, many times i am prompted for my password on the account. I have also tried sending out thru a couple open email severs like apple and my ISP's. Same problem with my parents accounts who live 50mi from me.

Called ATT over now a few days and get told I need to pay to get any help. They have obviosly blocked some ports or are monitoring outgoing emails through other services to try to get more money. Won't admit they are having server problems. I wonder if they are now sending any outgoing emails thru yahoo is doing the blocking. I do not want my emails to go thru att or yahoo as I do not trust either one in terms of privacy.

I am hoping this clears up. I can send emails out from my work using any email service I want, but not at home. After hrs or days emails sometimes go out. I've tried work arounds that I've read like closing mac mail and restarting. restarting my computer etc. and sometimes that helps, but when I need to send out important, time critical messages this is unaceptable

I have same problem. I have had uvers for several yrs. using macs. also set my parents up on uverse 1-2yrs ago. all worked well up untill 1-2wks ago. I could send out and recieve using my business emails thru my email provider (godady), but now can only recieve. Also, many times i am prompted for my password on the account. I have also tried sending out thru a couple open email severs like apple and my ISP's. Same problem with my parents accounts who live 50mi from me.

Called ATT over now a few days and get told I need to pay to get any help. They have obviosly blocked some ports or are monitoring outgoing emails through other services to try to get more money. Won't admit they are having server problems. I wonder if they are now sending any outgoing emails thru yahoo is doing the blocking. I do not want my emails to go thru att or yahoo as I do not trust either one in terms of privacy.

I am hoping this clears up. I can send emails out from my work using any email service I want, but not at home. After hrs or days emails sometimes go out. I've tried work arounds that I've read like closing mac mail and restarting. restarting my computer etc. and sometimes that helps, but when I need to send out important, time critical messages this is unaceptable

Re: Can't send work email from home through POP3 / SMTP

2 of 6 (2,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 5:26:24 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Mar 30, 2012 at 5:30:47 AM

toddbriggs wrote:

Again:

So, what do you know?

Do you know that if your work servers use port 25 you will have to call AT&T and get it unblocked?

Do you know that you can create two different accounts in your email client, one for at work and one for at home?

Not sure about your mail client but in outlook you have a default senders address but you can also pick an alternate senders address when you create a new message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

toddbriggs wrote:

Again:

So, what do you know?

Do you know that if your work servers use port 25 you will have to call AT&T and get it unblocked?

Do you know that you can create two different accounts in your email client, one for at work and one for at home?

Not sure about your mail client but in outlook you have a default senders address but you can also pick an alternate senders address when you create a new message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (2,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:46:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same or similar problem with the outbound.att since switching to U-verse internet.  I have been using Entourage for Mac 08 with no problems with DSL.  Now any email I send using at&t account just shows connecting to server. Nothing happens.   I've had to switch to the gmail account for sending.  Now everyone will see that email.  I do not want that.   How can this be fixed? 

I am having the same or similar problem with the outbound.att since switching to U-verse internet.  I have been using Entourage for Mac 08 with no problems with DSL.  Now any email I send using at&t account just shows connecting to server. Nothing happens.   I've had to switch to the gmail account for sending.  Now everyone will see that email.  I do not want that.   How can this be fixed? 

4 of 6 (985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 7:10:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, this is hijacking internet services by AT&T. I can use my outlook work email with Cox and Logix internet service just fine. AT&T does not let me use the same smtp server that works fine on Cox and Logix. I can't send email using work smtp when I am at home because AT&T Uverse internet connection does not allow it. This is WRONG! I have spent too much time trying to get it to work with AT&T. I would suggest that anyone with a laptop that use it at work and home stay away from AT&T Uverse, sign up with Logix or Cox.

Yes, this is hijacking internet services by AT&T. I can use my outlook work email with Cox and Logix internet service just fine. AT&T does not let me use the same smtp server that works fine on Cox and Logix. I can't send email using work smtp when I am at home because AT&T Uverse internet connection does not allow it. This is WRONG! I have spent too much time trying to get it to work with AT&T. I would suggest that anyone with a laptop that use it at work and home stay away from AT&T Uverse, sign up with Logix or Cox.

5 of 6 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 9:44:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Recently AT&T made some changes to their email settings.  This caused me a problem.  I was getting an error message 0x800cccof.  Everywhere that I searched for help with that message including AT&T and Microsoft etc.  the replies were that it was an anti-virus software problem and to turn off the firewall for email.  Well that was not the problem at all.  The POP server settings needed to be changed.  AT&T had been warning of the change but they never gave a clue of what was going to change.  Go to AT&T help and search for "POP server settings".  It worked for me when I made those changes.  I will try to paste the information here but I don't know how/if it will work. 

POP server settings

Want to access Yahoo Mail from an email program like Outlook or Mac Mail? Here's the settings you'll need.

Incoming Mail (POP) Server - Requires SSLSecure Socket Layer

• Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

• Port: 465 or 587

• Requires SSL: Yes

• Requires authentication: Yes

If your POP client doesn't offer TLS, you'll still be able to use SSL.

Login info - Requires authentication

• Email address: Your full email address (name@domain.com.)

• Password: Your account's password.

For additional assistance, or complete instructions on setting up POP, review the help pages for your email client or mobile device.

NOW BEFORE CHG 12-12/2013

Recently AT&T made some changes to their email settings.  This caused me a problem.  I was getting an error message 0x800cccof.  Everywhere that I searched for help with that message including AT&T and Microsoft etc.  the replies were that it was an anti-virus software problem and to turn off the firewall for email.  Well that was not the problem at all.  The POP server settings needed to be changed.  AT&T had been warning of the change but they never gave a clue of what was going to change.  Go to AT&T help and search for "POP server settings".  It worked for me when I made those changes.  I will try to paste the information here but I don't know how/if it will work. 

POP server settings

Want to access Yahoo Mail from an email program like Outlook or Mac Mail? Here's the settings you'll need.

Incoming Mail (POP) Server - Requires SSLSecure Socket Layer

• Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

• Port: 465 or 587

• Requires SSL: Yes

• Requires authentication: Yes

If your POP client doesn't offer TLS, you'll still be able to use SSL.

Login info - Requires authentication

• Email address: Your full email address (name@domain.com.)

• Password: Your account's password.

For additional assistance, or complete instructions on setting up POP, review the help pages for your email client or mobile device.

NOW BEFORE CHG 12-12/2013

6 of 6 (645 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments