Can't Access the Config Page of a Wireless Modem Bridged(?) to a Gateway

Re: Can't Access the Config Page of a Wireless Modem Bridged(?) to a Gateway

[ Edited ]

Hamilton09 wrote:
Terrific help. Hopefully this will help others too. Plan is clear. Will likely a strong as possible n vdsl router because the original problem was signal strength.

@Hamilton09 

Ok, just so I know we're on the same page, you're going to replace the i38HG with a retail wireless router (without an integrated modem)?

Another thought I had is, if you call the Retention Department and explain that the installer used the wrong equipment and you would like it rectified, they may come out and fix it free of charge. Let them know you want to have the Motorola NVG589 installed.

The quickest way in is to call the 800-288-2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts (be persisent) and it will connect you to a real human within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 16 of 30 (2,948 Views)
Teacher

Yes. Just the i38HG.

Tending towards getting a best in class router for homes which is not the Motorola. However if the 3801 limits thru put then I will stay with the Motorola. The question; would you know if I will see a signal strength boost if I went with a new asus vdsl router (eg the 68U currently at $212) in place of the Motorola? I am trying to solve for signal strength and control of my configuration.
Message 17 of 30 (2,942 Views)
Teacher

And yes just the router.
Message 18 of 30 (2,938 Views)

Hamilton09 wrote:
Yes. Just the i38HG.

Tending towards getting a best in class router for homes which is not the Motorola. However if the 3801 limits thru put then I will stay with the Motorola. The question; would you know if I will see a signal strength boost if I went with a new asus vdsl router (eg the 68U currently at $212) in place of the Motorola? I am trying to solve for signal strength and control of my configuration.

If money's no object, then yes that one should do quite well.

Maybe a little overkill though.Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 19 of 30 (2,935 Views)
Teacher

Question.

If I use the 3801 as my modem and the ngv589 as my wireless router, what configuration page will I see on 192.168.1.254?
Message 20 of 30 (2,921 Views)

Hamilton09 wrote:
Question.

If I use the 3801 as my modem and the ngv589 as my wireless router, what configuration page will I see on 192.168.1.254?

Sorry I guess I must have been unclear on that. The Motorola NVG589 would replace the 3801. The 3801 is AT&T's second generation modem/router for VDSL, the NVG589 is the third generation, and it has better wireless than the 3801.

If, as I stated earlier, you can get the retention department to replace the 3801 with the 589 free of charge, then you may not have to buy anything.

Message 21 of 30 (2,916 Views)
Teacher

So it seems the new config could be simpler than I thought. It seems to be:

1. Toss or return the ihg86.
2. Replace the 3801 with the modem - router ngv589
3. Toss or return the 3801
4. Use extenders if needed, which I already have

First, please let me know if the above is correct.

It does not appear anymore to me that I can use a nonATT modem or nonATT router for my uverse vdsl service but I am still willing to hear more.

Message 22 of 30 (2,903 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hamilton09 wrote:
So it seems the new config could be simpler than I thought. It seems to be:

1. Toss or return the ihg86.
2. Replace the 3801 with the modem - router ngv589
3. Toss or return the 3801
4. Use extenders if needed, which I already have

First, please let me know if the above is correct.

It does not appear anymore to me that I can use a nonATT modem or nonATT router for my uverse vdsl service but I am still willing to hear more.

@Hamilton09 

Ok,

The 3801 is a modem and wireless router.

The 589 is a modem and wireless router.

The ASUS you were looking at is just a wireless router and does not have an integrated modem.

You can use the ASUS or any other off-the-shelf retail router (that does not have an integrated modem) in conjuntion with either the 3801 or the 589 to enhance wireless coverage (as an extender or the only wireless access point).

I'm hoping that once you get the 3801 swapped out with the 589 that you may not need any extenders.

You can not do the 3801 to 589 swap yourself, you must call AT&T for that. It's just a matter of whether they charge you for it or not.

Message 23 of 30 (2,887 Views)
Teacher

Learned today that my account although triple play is not eligible to get the ngv589. So I need to pay for the 45mps bandwidth to simply get a simple freeking n wireless signal in my home.

Therefore. As a last resort before just switching to cable.

Could I just get a vdsl2 router modem that replaces this ancient att garbage while i contemplate switching to cable?
Message 24 of 30 (2,867 Views)

Hamilton09 wrote:
Learned today that my account although triple play is not eligible to get the ngv589. So I need to pay for the 45mps bandwidth to simply get a simple freeking n wireless signal in my home.

Therefore. As a last resort before just switching to cable.

Could I just get a vdsl2 router modem that replaces this ancient att garbage while i contemplate switching to cable?

@Hamilton09 

Forget "VDSL modem" completely, you can not replace/upgrade the 3801 with anything other than the 589, sorry.

You do not necessarily need to spend $212 to replace the i38HG either. I use a DLink DIR-655 and it has excellent coverage in my 2300 sqft ranch on both the ground floor and in the finished basement as well as ~100 feet out in the back yard. You can probably find one for around $50.

You mentioned something about another wireless extender. Was that something you were using before you got Uverse?

Message 25 of 30 (2,859 Views)
Teacher

To your question, No. I had it ever since uverse was installed. The G wifi from the iHG86 was too weak to reach all parts of my house. In fact the signal from a neighbors router was stronger in my house. He uses cable service wifi equipment.

You mentioned your dlink. My plan, while thinking about moving to cable, is to get a strong signal N router that works behind the att required 3801.

Can you therefore kindly send me your steps on how you configured your dlink behind your att required equipment? If reasonably simple, The steps will help me decide on what to do next.
Message 26 of 30 (2,849 Views)
Highlighted

Hamilton09 wrote:
To your question, No. I had it ever since uverse was installed. The G wifi from the iHG86 was too weak to reach all parts of my house. In fact the signal from a neighbors router was stronger in my house. He uses cable service wifi equipment.

You mentioned your dlink. My plan, while thinking about moving to cable, is to get a strong signal N router that works behind the att required 3801.

Can you therefore kindly send me your steps on how you configured your dlink behind your att required equipment? If reasonably simple, The steps will help me decide on what to do next.

@Hamilton09 

Unfortunately, my setup will not help you. I am on ADSL with PPPoE, so I just have an old speedstream modem in bridge mode.

It's not that difficult to configure a router for your purposes though, so if you're gonna get a router to replace the i38HG, go ahead and get one and we can go from there. It will be easier to instruct you when we know exactly what router you end up with.

Message 27 of 30 (2,842 Views)
Teacher

Going with the asus router 66u given moderate price, features, and lots of references to it within uverse systems. Will have time in about 7 days to work on it. Want a wifi N router that I can control so to speak.

Again thanks. Learned more than I ever wanted to Smiley Happy.
Message 28 of 30 (2,827 Views)

Hamilton09 wrote:
Going with the asus router 66u given moderate price, features, and lots of references to it within uverse systems. Will have time in about 7 days to work on it. Want a wifi N router that I can control so to speak.

Again thanks. Learned more than I ever wanted to Smiley Happy.

@Hamilton09 

I'm assuming you mean the ASUS RT-AC66U.

For about $20 more, the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000), gives you a higher max through-put in the "N" band, and a USB 3.0 port for an external hardrive.

Message 29 of 30 (2,814 Views)
Teacher

No, I am going with the now cheaper N router (ASUS RT-N-66U), which will be suitable for my wifi devices and is used by others (based on internet search) within Uverse set-ups. And it seems to be a top benchmark for N signal strength. Once I can spend time on it in about 7-days, I plan to  revert back to this stream. 

Message 30 of 30 (2,807 Views)