Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jan 21, 2014
6:46:30 PM
View profile
Can't Access the Config Page of a Wireless Modem Bridged(?) to a Gateway
Edited by Hamilton09 on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:47:09 PM

Too complex for me...

My 2Wire unit downstairs configured as a gateway is connected (by Cat 5e wire) to an upstairs 2Wire unit that is configured as a wireless modem. Reason for this configuration was that the wireless signal was too weak to cover both floors of my home if the signal originates from downstairs. 

Problem: I cannot access the modem's configuration page. I can access the configuration page (192.168.1.254) of the unit configured as the gateway, but I cannot access the unit configured as the modem. Both are Pace/2Wire. The modem can be seen as an IP address on the network (192.168.1.xx). 

Question: for a configuration of this type (forget about model numbers, etc) -- how can I access the modem's configuration page? The modem has it's own SSID, different from the SSID of the gateway. But neither the modem's IP address or it's 192.168.1.254 will open it's configuration page.

Reason: Given the somewhat cobbled config, I want to record the settings of both, when and if I lose the configuration through power loss (etc).

Help?

Too complex for me...

My 2Wire unit downstairs configured as a gateway is connected (by Cat 5e wire) to an upstairs 2Wire unit that is configured as a wireless modem. Reason for this configuration was that the wireless signal was too weak to cover both floors of my home if the signal originates from downstairs. 

Problem: I cannot access the modem's configuration page. I can access the configuration page (192.168.1.254) of the unit configured as the gateway, but I cannot access the unit configured as the modem. Both are Pace/2Wire. The modem can be seen as an IP address on the network (192.168.1.xx). 

Question: for a configuration of this type (forget about model numbers, etc) -- how can I access the modem's configuration page? The modem has it's own SSID, different from the SSID of the gateway. But neither the modem's IP address or it's 192.168.1.254 will open it's configuration page.

Reason: Given the somewhat cobbled config, I want to record the settings of both, when and if I lose the configuration through power loss (etc).

Help?

Can't Access the Config Page of a Wireless Modem Bridged(?) to a Gateway

[ Edited ]
29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(29)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 8:40:51 PM
(0)
Employee
I believe your upstairs unit is the i38hg.
This unit was designed for the 3812 inid bonded RG to provide an Indoor Unit (IU) that offered both ethernet and wireless connection to the OU (outdoor unit, inid, 3812).
The inid was designed to support several i38hg as access point with only one being primary, rest were slaves.

To access the i38hg need the password found on the Power Supply (PS) of the inid.
As you do not have an inid install (do you?) Then there is no way to acquire the information.

Basically the tech should not have done what they did (if your not an inid install).
You need to purchase your own router and set up behind the original RG
or purchase a wifi range extender such as the Netgear 3000RP.
I believe your upstairs unit is the i38hg.
This unit was designed for the 3812 inid bonded RG to provide an Indoor Unit (IU) that offered both ethernet and wireless connection to the OU (outdoor unit, inid, 3812).
The inid was designed to support several i38hg as access point with only one being primary, rest were slaves.

To access the i38hg need the password found on the Power Supply (PS) of the inid.
As you do not have an inid install (do you?) Then there is no way to acquire the information.

Basically the tech should not have done what they did (if your not an inid install).
You need to purchase your own router and set up behind the original RG
or purchase a wifi range extender such as the Netgear 3000RP.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can't Access the Config Page of a Wireless Modem Bridged(?) to a Gateway

2 of 30 (2,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 6:14:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Many thanks. I think I am getting somewhere, but need to understand a little more what you have described.

1. first, what I don't understand is your mention of indoor and outdoor. Do you mean that inid configurations are intended to serve customers who have outdoor applications (i.e., outside patios etc etc?)

2. what are the definitions of "inid" and what is "bonded" and "RG". Cracking that code will help me understand a lot more Smiley Happy

3. let's just assume for the moment that I have an "inid install" and I could see the password on the power supply of the "inid". Does that mean that I would be able to access the configuration page of the upstairs unit from a browser? To confirm, the downstairs unit is accessible by typing in 192.168.1.254

Yes, by the way, I am using extenders. Even by bringing up the signal to the upstairs, the signal was excessively weak on the opposite side of the house. And if I cannot control or sufficiently understand what I have from ATT, yes, I will get my own router.

Many thanks. I think I am getting somewhere, but need to understand a little more what you have described.

1. first, what I don't understand is your mention of indoor and outdoor. Do you mean that inid configurations are intended to serve customers who have outdoor applications (i.e., outside patios etc etc?)

2. what are the definitions of "inid" and what is "bonded" and "RG". Cracking that code will help me understand a lot more Smiley Happy

3. let's just assume for the moment that I have an "inid install" and I could see the password on the power supply of the "inid". Does that mean that I would be able to access the configuration page of the upstairs unit from a browser? To confirm, the downstairs unit is accessible by typing in 192.168.1.254

Yes, by the way, I am using extenders. Even by bringing up the signal to the upstairs, the signal was excessively weak on the opposite side of the house. And if I cannot control or sufficiently understand what I have from ATT, yes, I will get my own router.

3 of 30 (2,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 7:35:18 AM
(0)
Employee
History lesson....
When Uverse was first released in 2006, he original IPTV (internet protocol Tv) was the 3800, non tv 3600.
As Uverse is primary fiber to a certain point in the neighborhood (FTTN) then connects to copper telephone lines the remaining distance. Signal over copper results loss, the longer the copper the more the loss, till a point is reached where signal is too weak to provide service. The copper drop wire terminates at the side of home normally to a box called the NID (network interface device).

The NID connects outside wiring to inside wiring and is the point at which responsibility changes....telco to building owner. In POTS (plain old telephone service) if had a problem with phone, you could take the phone to the NID, plug in phone, if still problem exists telco responsibility, if no problem customer wiring or equipment is issue, customer responsibility, could pay telco to send tech to repair IW (inside wire)

The first customer to receive Uverse had to be fairly close to the connection box.
Question is how to reach more customers without placing more boxes.
The next RG (residential gateway aka modem/router) was the 3801, this used a different chip set to be more sensitive to a weak signal allowing Uverse iinstalls up to around 3200 feet (6/10 of a mile).

On the problems encountered was not only wiring to house distance but also wiring inside home added distance and loss of signal strength, so the inid (3812 RG) was released fall 2010. The inid used two pairs of phone wires (bonded) versus the single pair required with 3600, 3800, 3801. By combining the pairs and effectively pushing the signal down both pairs and adding them together yielded the ability to now deliver Uverse up to 6000 feet (about 1.15 miles) from same FTTN box. This resulted in Uverse being know as fiber to last mile, versus FTTP (fiber to the premise) where fiber is switched to copper wiring at house.

The inid (intelligent NID) combines the function of the NiD (connect IW to OW) plus places the RG at the point of IW and is referred to as the Outdoor Unit (OU).
Requires a big power supply (PS) and internet connection provided by a separate unit placed in the home (IU...indoor unit)

In an inid install there is one primary IU, i38hg, however the inid can support up to 8 such units. The oother units are just WAP (wireless access points) but cannot change settings as they are dummies to primary unit that can be changed via 192.168.1.254 . On an inid install while can access the page for i38hg to make a change requires a passcode that is tied to the front door of the PS. Without this code cannot change primary settings.

As you stated (or I assumed) could access homepage and make changes without passcode from PS, I believed you had a single pair install (3600, 3800, or 3801 RG) and a tech added the i38hg to provide increased wifi coverage, but again this is only a dummy not accessible to make changes.

End of lesson....your thougts appreciated.
History lesson....
When Uverse was first released in 2006, he original IPTV (internet protocol Tv) was the 3800, non tv 3600.
As Uverse is primary fiber to a certain point in the neighborhood (FTTN) then connects to copper telephone lines the remaining distance. Signal over copper results loss, the longer the copper the more the loss, till a point is reached where signal is too weak to provide service. The copper drop wire terminates at the side of home normally to a box called the NID (network interface device).

The NID connects outside wiring to inside wiring and is the point at which responsibility changes....telco to building owner. In POTS (plain old telephone service) if had a problem with phone, you could take the phone to the NID, plug in phone, if still problem exists telco responsibility, if no problem customer wiring or equipment is issue, customer responsibility, could pay telco to send tech to repair IW (inside wire)

The first customer to receive Uverse had to be fairly close to the connection box.
Question is how to reach more customers without placing more boxes.
The next RG (residential gateway aka modem/router) was the 3801, this used a different chip set to be more sensitive to a weak signal allowing Uverse iinstalls up to around 3200 feet (6/10 of a mile).

On the problems encountered was not only wiring to house distance but also wiring inside home added distance and loss of signal strength, so the inid (3812 RG) was released fall 2010. The inid used two pairs of phone wires (bonded) versus the single pair required with 3600, 3800, 3801. By combining the pairs and effectively pushing the signal down both pairs and adding them together yielded the ability to now deliver Uverse up to 6000 feet (about 1.15 miles) from same FTTN box. This resulted in Uverse being know as fiber to last mile, versus FTTP (fiber to the premise) where fiber is switched to copper wiring at house.

The inid (intelligent NID) combines the function of the NiD (connect IW to OW) plus places the RG at the point of IW and is referred to as the Outdoor Unit (OU).
Requires a big power supply (PS) and internet connection provided by a separate unit placed in the home (IU...indoor unit)

In an inid install there is one primary IU, i38hg, however the inid can support up to 8 such units. The oother units are just WAP (wireless access points) but cannot change settings as they are dummies to primary unit that can be changed via 192.168.1.254 . On an inid install while can access the page for i38hg to make a change requires a passcode that is tied to the front door of the PS. Without this code cannot change primary settings.

As you stated (or I assumed) could access homepage and make changes without passcode from PS, I believed you had a single pair install (3600, 3800, or 3801 RG) and a tech added the i38hg to provide increased wifi coverage, but again this is only a dummy not accessible to make changes.

End of lesson....your thougts appreciated.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 30 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 7:35:24 AM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

OK, the model numbers of the other equipment does matter.

What Mythoughts is refering to is a type of service install. Your DSL signal (If you actually have DSL and not Uverse internet) comes in on the phone line. The distance (length of the wire) between your home and the "source" of the signal (Central Office) dictates the connect speed and stability of the signal.

With Uverse internet, to extend that distance, they will use two phone lines (pair bonding) to your home. When that is done they will use a device called an iNID (intelligent network interface device or OU) which replaces the standard NID (little grey box on side of house that the phone lines normally connect to). The iNID (i3812V) takes the two phone lines and combines their signals into a single line. Then there will be an i38HG (IU) inside your home. The i38HG is the actual wireless access point and router. The first i38HG connected to the iNID becomes the "master" router. If better wireless coverage is needed they can install up to five i38HGs (i think). Each additional i38HG installed becomes a slave to the first i38HG (as a wireless repeater/extender) and is automatically configured by the first i38HG. All settings in the first i38HG are automatically propagated to all other i38HGs.

That being said, If you just have standard DSL or Uverse Internet (not bonded pair) the i38HG should never have been installed. As well it is not intended to be installed the way it was (with CAT5).

So, do you have an iNID (i3812V)?

What model is your "main" router?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

OK, the model numbers of the other equipment does matter.

What Mythoughts is refering to is a type of service install. Your DSL signal (If you actually have DSL and not Uverse internet) comes in on the phone line. The distance (length of the wire) between your home and the "source" of the signal (Central Office) dictates the connect speed and stability of the signal.

With Uverse internet, to extend that distance, they will use two phone lines (pair bonding) to your home. When that is done they will use a device called an iNID (intelligent network interface device or OU) which replaces the standard NID (little grey box on side of house that the phone lines normally connect to). The iNID (i3812V) takes the two phone lines and combines their signals into a single line. Then there will be an i38HG (IU) inside your home. The i38HG is the actual wireless access point and router. The first i38HG connected to the iNID becomes the "master" router. If better wireless coverage is needed they can install up to five i38HGs (i think). Each additional i38HG installed becomes a slave to the first i38HG (as a wireless repeater/extender) and is automatically configured by the first i38HG. All settings in the first i38HG are automatically propagated to all other i38HGs.

That being said, If you just have standard DSL or Uverse Internet (not bonded pair) the i38HG should never have been installed. As well it is not intended to be installed the way it was (with CAT5).

So, do you have an iNID (i3812V)?

What model is your "main" router?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 30 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 10:36:38 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK, will return back with a listing of equipment and connections. I have Uverse, btw.

OK, will return back with a listing of equipment and connections. I have Uverse, btw.

6 of 30 (2,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 4:42:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

Equipment is:

1. 3801HGV downstairs connected to "DSL" (I have Uverse). SSID 1234 (example). The black "DSL" (Uverse) line is connected to the jack in the 3801HGV.

2. i38HG upstairs, connected to my LAN by Cat 5e. SSID 5678 (example)

3. I do not appear to have an inid outside on the wall of my home.

This how my set-up works. I can access the web page of SSID 1234 at 192.168.1.254 -- using it's password. I cannot access SSID 5678 thru a browser (I cannot see it's web page) but it is on my network at 192.168.1.72. As a final detail, it is SSID 5678 that my laptops etc see as the wireless signal.

So .... is  my config is a common set-up (?), or should  it should be modified to include the inid? Trying to get what I should get from ATT. The original problem was that the signal was too weak to have one unit operating as a router-modem downstairs.

If not, I am going to punt and get my own hardware that I can both understand better and configure easily. Would Netgear's D6200 modem router for DSL work on this type of Uverse system? And it's signal strength appears to be strong, based on what I have read.

Equipment is:

1. 3801HGV downstairs connected to "DSL" (I have Uverse). SSID 1234 (example). The black "DSL" (Uverse) line is connected to the jack in the 3801HGV.

This how my set-up works. I can access the web page of SSID 1234 at 192.168.1.254 -- using it's password. I cannot access SSID 5678 thru a browser (I cannot see it's web page) but it is on my network at 192.168.1.72. As a final detail, it is SSID 5678 that my laptops etc see as the wireless signal.

So .... is  my config is a common set-up (?), or should  it should be modified to include the inid? Trying to get what I should get from ATT. The original problem was that the signal was too weak to have one unit operating as a router-modem downstairs.

If not, I am going to punt and get my own hardware that I can both understand better and configure easily. Would Netgear's D6200 modem router for DSL work on this type of Uverse system? And it's signal strength appears to be strong, based on what I have read.

7 of 30 (2,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 8:02:10 PM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

Equipment is:

Yup, that's not a normal setup. The iNID as I said is only required if your home is to far from the source. You can not get one unless it's required to provide your service.

If they're charging you for the i38HG I would have it removed from your account and send it back to them and get your own decent wireless router. The 3801HGV indicates you have Uverse VDSL, not ADSL, so the wireless router you get does not need an integrated modem.

If you get a decent wireless router and locate it centrally in your home, you should be able to just turn off the cheesy wireless on the 3801HGV and use your router for wireless.

Once you get your router, pop back here and we can help you get it set up if you need.

Hamilton09 wrote:

Equipment is:

Yup, that's not a normal setup. The iNID as I said is only required if your home is to far from the source. You can not get one unless it's required to provide your service.

If they're charging you for the i38HG I would have it removed from your account and send it back to them and get your own decent wireless router. The 3801HGV indicates you have Uverse VDSL, not ADSL, so the wireless router you get does not need an integrated modem.

If you get a decent wireless router and locate it centrally in your home, you should be able to just turn off the cheesy wireless on the 3801HGV and use your router for wireless.

Once you get your router, pop back here and we can help you get it set up if you need.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 30 (2,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 7:39:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks - very much.

I will shortly outline my plan to convert to my own equipment.

But in case I decide otherwise: is there criteria to get an INID (e.g., over a given "x" distance from what type of source?)

Thanks - very much.

I will shortly outline my plan to convert to my own equipment.

But in case I decide otherwise: is there criteria to get an INID (e.g., over a given "x" distance from what type of source?)

9 of 30 (2,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 2:13:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here's two plans -- to help close this trail of learning.

Your Comments?

Plan A

The first question: Is this plan called a bridge configuration?

1. get a VDSL wireless router. Place it centrally (upstairs)

2. connect by cat5e from a LAN port on the VDSL router to any LAN port of the 3801HGV acting as the modem and pre-configured for enabling a bridge. Will leave it downstairs, connected to the Uverse line.

Plan B.  

It's my alternative plan. Preferred especially if thesignal speed and performance is expected to go up. It sure seems easier to maintain.

1. get a better (stronger) VDSL wireless router-modem combination unit. Leave it downstairs. Connect it to the Uverse line.

2. use an extender as needed, which I already have.

Your Comments?

Plan A

2. connect by cat5e from a LAN port on the VDSL router to any LAN port of the 3801HGV acting as the modem and pre-configured for enabling a bridge. Will leave it downstairs, connected to the Uverse line.

Plan B.  

It's my alternative plan. Preferred especially if thesignal speed and performance is expected to go up. It sure seems easier to maintain.

1. get a better (stronger) VDSL wireless router-modem combination unit. Leave it downstairs. Connect it to the Uverse line.

10 of 30 (2,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 6:08:34 AM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

Your Comments?

Plan A

Plan B.  

You can not have two "modems" connected to your service. Leave the 3801 where it's at. If you have VDSL service you are not supposed to relocate/rewire the modem (in this case the 3801).

Go out and spend at least 50 or 60 bucks on a decent wireless router (without modem) connect it (LAN port to LAN port) to the 3801 with CAT5 and locate it centrally in your home and use it as the only wireless acces point for your home and turn off the wireless on the 3801.

Once you have your new router pop back here and we can help you get it set up.

Hamilton09 wrote:

Your Comments?

Plan A

Plan B.  

You can not have two "modems" connected to your service. Leave the 3801 where it's at. If you have VDSL service you are not supposed to relocate/rewire the modem (in this case the 3801).

Go out and spend at least 50 or 60 bucks on a decent wireless router (without modem) connect it (LAN port to LAN port) to the 3801 with CAT5 and locate it centrally in your home and use it as the only wireless acces point for your home and turn off the wireless on the 3801.

Once you have your new router pop back here and we can help you get it set up.

neon_sign.jpg

11 of 30 (2,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 11:42:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

For clarity...

1. The 3801 is not providing the wireless signal, in contrast to what I think you may be saying. It is the SSID of the i38HG that my wireless devices see, not the SSID of the 3801. 

Please confirm that I could replace the i38HG for a stronger/better signal and that I should NOT replace the 3801 which is acting as the modem. ASUS & Netgear router-only products for VDSL look good...

2. But I want a one-box (router-modem) system if possible. What is the downside to replacing the 3801 when being serviced with a UVerse system....?

For clarity...

1. The 3801 is not providing the wireless signal, in contrast to what I think you may be saying. It is the SSID of the i38HG that my wireless devices see, not the SSID of the 3801. 

Please confirm that I could replace the i38HG for a stronger/better signal and that I should NOT replace the 3801 which is acting as the modem. ASUS & Netgear router-only products for VDSL look good...

2. But I want a one-box (router-modem) system if possible. What is the downside to replacing the 3801 when being serviced with a UVerse system....?

12 of 30 (2,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 5:20:08 PM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

For clarity...

Ok, yeah, I thought both devices were broadcasting.

As far as replacing the 3801 with a retail modem, sorry not gonna happen. You can not use a non-AT&T modem.

I'm not sure when you had your install, but they probably should have installed the Motorola NVG589, because it appears to have better wireless specs than the 2WIRE 3801HGV. The 3801 is 2nd generation and only has "G" wireless, whereas the 589 is 3rd generation and has "N" wireless. You might be able to call in and have them come and swap them out ($99 I think)

Otherwise your stuck with the 3801 and a regular (but quality) wireless router.

Hamilton09 wrote:

For clarity...

Ok, yeah, I thought both devices were broadcasting.

As far as replacing the 3801 with a retail modem, sorry not gonna happen. You can not use a non-AT&T modem.

I'm not sure when you had your install, but they probably should have installed the Motorola NVG589, because it appears to have better wireless specs than the 2WIRE 3801HGV. The 3801 is 2nd generation and only has "G" wireless, whereas the 589 is 3rd generation and has "N" wireless. You might be able to call in and have them come and swap them out ($99 I think)

Otherwise your stuck with the 3801 and a regular (but quality) wireless router.

neon_sign.jpg

13 of 30 (2,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:26:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

14 of 30 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:28:56 AM
(0)
Teacher
Terrific help. Hopefully this will help others too. Plan is clear. Will likely a strong as possible n vdsl router because the original problem was signal strength.
Terrific help. Hopefully this will help others too. Plan is clear. Will likely a strong as possible n vdsl router because the original problem was signal strength.

15 of 30 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 11:46:11 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Feb 1, 2014 at 11:58:20 AM

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Ok, just so I know we're on the same page, you're going to replace the i38HG with a retail wireless router (without an integrated modem)?

Another thought I had is, if you call the Retention Department and explain that the installer used the wrong equipment and you would like it rectified, they may come out and fix it free of charge. Let them know you want to have the Motorola NVG589 installed.

The quickest way in is to call the 800-288-2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts (be persisent) and it will connect you to a real human within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Ok, just so I know we're on the same page, you're going to replace the i38HG with a retail wireless router (without an integrated modem)?

Another thought I had is, if you call the Retention Department and explain that the installer used the wrong equipment and you would like it rectified, they may come out and fix it free of charge. Let them know you want to have the Motorola NVG589 installed.

The quickest way in is to call the 800-288-2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts (be persisent) and it will connect you to a real human within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
16 of 30 (2,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:15:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes. Just the i38HG.

Tending towards getting a best in class router for homes which is not the Motorola. However if the 3801 limits thru put then I will stay with the Motorola. The question; would you know if I will see a signal strength boost if I went with a new asus vdsl router (eg the 68U currently at $212) in place of the Motorola? I am trying to solve for signal strength and control of my configuration.
Yes. Just the i38HG.

Tending towards getting a best in class router for homes which is not the Motorola. However if the 3801 limits thru put then I will stay with the Motorola. The question; would you know if I will see a signal strength boost if I went with a new asus vdsl router (eg the 68U currently at $212) in place of the Motorola? I am trying to solve for signal strength and control of my configuration.

17 of 30 (2,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:27:41 PM
(0)
Teacher
And yes just the router.
And yes just the router.

18 of 30 (2,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 2:20:13 PM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:
Yes. Just the i38HG.

If money's no object, then yes that one should do quite well.

Maybe a little overkill though.Smiley Wink

Hamilton09 wrote:
Yes. Just the i38HG.

If money's no object, then yes that one should do quite well.

Maybe a little overkill though.Smiley Wink

neon_sign.jpg

19 of 30 (2,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 6:50:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
Question.

If I use the 3801 as my modem and the ngv589 as my wireless router, what configuration page will I see on 192.168.1.254?
Question.

If I use the 3801 as my modem and the ngv589 as my wireless router, what configuration page will I see on 192.168.1.254?

20 of 30 (2,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:53:03 PM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:
Question.

Sorry I guess I must have been unclear on that. The Motorola NVG589 would replace the 3801. The 3801 is AT&T's second generation modem/router for VDSL, the NVG589 is the third generation, and it has better wireless than the 3801.

If, as I stated earlier, you can get the retention department to replace the 3801 with the 589 free of charge, then you may not have to buy anything.

Hamilton09 wrote:
Question.

Sorry I guess I must have been unclear on that. The Motorola NVG589 would replace the 3801. The 3801 is AT&T's second generation modem/router for VDSL, the NVG589 is the third generation, and it has better wireless than the 3801.

If, as I stated earlier, you can get the retention department to replace the 3801 with the 589 free of charge, then you may not have to buy anything.

neon_sign.jpg

21 of 30 (2,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 10:20:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
So it seems the new config could be simpler than I thought. It seems to be:

1. Toss or return the ihg86.
2. Replace the 3801 with the modem - router ngv589
3. Toss or return the 3801
4. Use extenders if needed, which I already have

First, please let me know if the above is correct.

It does not appear anymore to me that I can use a nonATT modem or nonATT router for my uverse vdsl service but I am still willing to hear more.

It does not appear anymore to me that I can use a nonATT modem or nonATT router for my uverse vdsl service but I am still willing to hear more.

22 of 30 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 4:57:48 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:41:02 AM

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Ok,

The 3801 is a modem and wireless router.

The 589 is a modem and wireless router.

The ASUS you were looking at is just a wireless router and does not have an integrated modem.

You can use the ASUS or any other off-the-shelf retail router (that does not have an integrated modem) in conjuntion with either the 3801 or the 589 to enhance wireless coverage (as an extender or the only wireless access point).

I'm hoping that once you get the 3801 swapped out with the 589 that you may not need any extenders.

You can not do the 3801 to 589 swap yourself, you must call AT&T for that. It's just a matter of whether they charge you for it or not.

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Ok,

The 3801 is a modem and wireless router.

The 589 is a modem and wireless router.

The ASUS you were looking at is just a wireless router and does not have an integrated modem.

You can use the ASUS or any other off-the-shelf retail router (that does not have an integrated modem) in conjuntion with either the 3801 or the 589 to enhance wireless coverage (as an extender or the only wireless access point).

I'm hoping that once you get the 3801 swapped out with the 589 that you may not need any extenders.

You can not do the 3801 to 589 swap yourself, you must call AT&T for that. It's just a matter of whether they charge you for it or not.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
23 of 30 (2,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 7:43:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Learned today that my account although triple play is not eligible to get the ngv589. So I need to pay for the 45mps bandwidth to simply get a simple freeking n wireless signal in my home.

Therefore. As a last resort before just switching to cable.

Could I just get a vdsl2 router modem that replaces this ancient att garbage while i contemplate switching to cable?
Learned today that my account although triple play is not eligible to get the ngv589. So I need to pay for the 45mps bandwidth to simply get a simple freeking n wireless signal in my home.

Could I just get a vdsl2 router modem that replaces this ancient att garbage while i contemplate switching to cable?

24 of 30 (2,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 9:38:03 AM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Forget "VDSL modem" completely, you can not replace/upgrade the 3801 with anything other than the 589, sorry.

You do not necessarily need to spend $212 to replace the i38HG either. I use a DLink DIR-655 and it has excellent coverage in my 2300 sqft ranch on both the ground floor and in the finished basement as well as ~100 feet out in the back yard. You can probably find one for around $50.

You mentioned something about another wireless extender. Was that something you were using before you got Uverse?

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Forget "VDSL modem" completely, you can not replace/upgrade the 3801 with anything other than the 589, sorry.

You do not necessarily need to spend $212 to replace the i38HG either. I use a DLink DIR-655 and it has excellent coverage in my 2300 sqft ranch on both the ground floor and in the finished basement as well as ~100 feet out in the back yard. You can probably find one for around $50.

You mentioned something about another wireless extender. Was that something you were using before you got Uverse?

neon_sign.jpg

25 of 30 (2,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 1:17:20 PM
(0)
Teacher
To your question, No. I had it ever since uverse was installed. The G wifi from the iHG86 was too weak to reach all parts of my house. In fact the signal from a neighbors router was stronger in my house. He uses cable service wifi equipment.

You mentioned your dlink. My plan, while thinking about moving to cable, is to get a strong signal N router that works behind the att required 3801.

Can you therefore kindly send me your steps on how you configured your dlink behind your att required equipment? If reasonably simple, The steps will help me decide on what to do next.
To your question, No. I had it ever since uverse was installed. The G wifi from the iHG86 was too weak to reach all parts of my house. In fact the signal from a neighbors router was stronger in my house. He uses cable service wifi equipment.

You mentioned your dlink. My plan, while thinking about moving to cable, is to get a strong signal N router that works behind the att required 3801.

Can you therefore kindly send me your steps on how you configured your dlink behind your att required equipment? If reasonably simple, The steps will help me decide on what to do next.

26 of 30 (2,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 2:25:46 PM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Unfortunately, my setup will not help you. I am on ADSL with PPPoE, so I just have an old speedstream modem in bridge mode.

It's not that difficult to configure a router for your purposes though, so if you're gonna get a router to replace the i38HG, go ahead and get one and we can go from there. It will be easier to instruct you when we know exactly what router you end up with.

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

Unfortunately, my setup will not help you. I am on ADSL with PPPoE, so I just have an old speedstream modem in bridge mode.

It's not that difficult to configure a router for your purposes though, so if you're gonna get a router to replace the i38HG, go ahead and get one and we can go from there. It will be easier to instruct you when we know exactly what router you end up with.

neon_sign.jpg

27 of 30 (2,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 6:23:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Going with the asus router 66u given moderate price, features, and lots of references to it within uverse systems. Will have time in about 7 days to work on it. Want a wifi N router that I can control so to speak.

Again thanks. Learned more than I ever wanted to Smiley Happy.
Going with the asus router 66u given moderate price, features, and lots of references to it within uverse systems. Will have time in about 7 days to work on it. Want a wifi N router that I can control so to speak.

28 of 30 (2,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 6:03:45 AM
(0)
Master

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

I'm assuming you mean the ASUS RT-AC66U.

For about $20 more, the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000), gives you a higher max through-put in the "N" band, and a USB 3.0 port for an external hardrive.

Hamilton09 wrote:

@Hamilton09 

I'm assuming you mean the ASUS RT-AC66U.

For about $20 more, the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000), gives you a higher max through-put in the "N" band, and a USB 3.0 port for an external hardrive.

neon_sign.jpg

29 of 30 (2,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 8:01:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

No, I am going with the now cheaper N router (ASUS RT-N-66U), which will be suitable for my wifi devices and is used by others (based on internet search) within Uverse set-ups. And it seems to be a top benchmark for N signal strength. Once I can spend time on it in about 7-days, I plan to  revert back to this stream. 

No, I am going with the now cheaper N router (ASUS RT-N-66U), which will be suitable for my wifi devices and is used by others (based on internet search) within Uverse set-ups. And it seems to be a top benchmark for N signal strength. Once I can spend time on it in about 7-days, I plan to  revert back to this stream. 

30 of 30 (2,484 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments