Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 22, 2014
7:56:38 AM
View profile
Can I get a 4g modem that will interface with my eithernet switch or router?

Hi;

I live in a remote rural area to the northwest of Houston (Texas) where AT&T doesn't want to provide broadband service via phone lines.

Apparently, I (and my neighbors) are not worth the bother and the expense.

It frustrates me greatly that most people get better connectivity to their cellphones than I get to my house!

Every time I see one of AT&T's commercials on television I have to fight the urge to shoot the television. Since I cannot afford to buy new televisions on a frequent basis (or even on an occasional basis), I typically grab the remote and either change the channel or mute the sound.

I've been getting broadband via a few WISP's over the past several years, and have been dissatisfied with the service. I've been getting "service" with Skybeam for the past three or four years, and I've had my fill of them.

I might be within range of an AT&T tower for 4G and I am wondering if the throughput with a 4G modem would be superior to the wireless service that I've had.

My last speed test results with Skybeam was:

Download Speed: 691 kbps (86.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 31 kbps (3.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 205 ms

I'm thinking 4G can do better than that.

I'd consider satellite but I've heard too many horror stories about it. Perhaps it's gotten better.(?)

What would I need to attach a 4G modem to my Netgear eithernet router (or with my eithernet switch)?

If there is no way to do that, then what can you recommend in the way of a 4G router with 4 (or 8) eithernet ports?

Thanks!

Hi;

I live in a remote rural area to the northwest of Houston (Texas) where AT&T doesn't want to provide broadband service via phone lines.

It frustrates me greatly that most people get better connectivity to their cellphones than I get to my house!

Every time I see one of AT&T's commercials on television I have to fight the urge to shoot the television. Since I cannot afford to buy new televisions on a frequent basis (or even on an occasional basis), I typically grab the remote and either change the channel or mute the sound.

I've been getting broadband via a few WISP's over the past several years, and have been dissatisfied with the service. I've been getting "service" with Skybeam for the past three or four years, and I've had my fill of them.

I might be within range of an AT&T tower for 4G and I am wondering if the throughput with a 4G modem would be superior to the wireless service that I've had.

I'd consider satellite but I've heard too many horror stories about it. Perhaps it's gotten better.(?)

What would I need to attach a 4G modem to my Netgear eithernet router (or with my eithernet switch)?

If there is no way to do that, then what can you recommend in the way of a 4G router with 4 (or 8) eithernet ports?

Thanks!

Can I get a 4g modem that will interface with my eithernet switch or router?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 11:30:57 AM
(0)
Master

@wylbur  wrote:

Hi;

Thanks!

Wireless rates vary from 2Mbps upward depending on carrier and network availability. It looks like AT&T's offerings are about $10 per GB.

Looks like they have the Houston area covered fairly well. http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html#fbid=csQJ0YFFF28

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

@wylbur  wrote:

Hi;

Thanks!

Wireless rates vary from 2Mbps upward depending on carrier and network availability. It looks like AT&T's offerings are about $10 per GB.

Looks like they have the Houston area covered fairly well. http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html#fbid=csQJ0YFFF28

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Can I get a 4g modem that will interface with my eithernet switch or router?

2 of 3 (161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 6:51:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

THANK YOU for the response!

It is very much appreciated!

THANK YOU for the response!

It is very much appreciated!

Re: Can I get a 4g modem that will interface with my eithernet switch or router?

3 of 3 (139 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments