Any DSL Troubleshooting Advice?

Contributor

Any DSL Troubleshooting Advice?

I'm trying to help an AT&T user who has a 768 KB upstream DSL service. The user finds that their connection frequently drops (falls to 0 kbps and then comes back up to 600+ KB). Their DSL modem does report a line attenuation of 56 DB and a Signal-to-Noise Ratio of 22. After about an hour of usage, there were 270 CRC Errors.

We've tried the following (with no success):

-unplugging all telephones and dsl filters so that only the dsl modem was plugged in
-we swapped the dsl modem for a different known working dsl modem and the problem persisted
-we tried a different cable from the dsl modem to the wall

Any other ideas about things that might be the problem?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2 (147 Views)

Re: Any DSL Troubleshooting Advice?

[ Edited ]

confusedDslUser wrote:

I'm trying to help an AT&T user who has a 768 KB upstream DSL service. The user finds that their connection frequently drops (falls to 0 kbps and then comes back up to 600+ KB). Their DSL modem does report a line attenuation of 56 DB and a Signal-to-Noise Ratio of 22. After about an hour of usage, there were 270 CRC Errors.

We've tried the following (with no success):

-unplugging all telephones and dsl filters so that only the dsl modem was plugged in
-we swapped the dsl modem for a different known working dsl modem and the problem persisted
-we tried a different cable from the dsl modem to the wall

Any other ideas about things that might be the problem?

Thanks.

I assume you meant 768K(bits) upstream and not 768KB (bytes). That should equate to the 6Mbps/768Kbps service.

What model modem?

What are the indicator lights on the modem doing during these episodes?

Have you tried a "factory" reset on the modem?

Have you tried connecting the modem directly at the NID?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2 (132 Views)