Adfender conflict with ATT/Yahoo email?

Tutor

Adfender conflict with ATT/Yahoo email?

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem:  using ATT/Yahoo email and Firefox v23, email receives text only, no attachments; can't open any folders; can't delete or compose. Same problem with Chrome, Safari, IE.

After posting and receiving comments on another ATT help forum, using Sys Restore, browser re-set, AVG and Malwarebyte scans and then speaking with an ATT and subsequently a Yahoo tech for about an hour, the source of the problem was not identified.  At the conclusion of the first telephone conversation, when the email mysteriously resumed functions, the tech admitted she had "done nothing" using the remote control of my pc. Possibly some update had just then completed loading, she suggested.  

The same problem recurred about a week later.  In the second conversation, elevated directly to Yahoo support, again no clear solution except that disabling filtering on Adfender did and does seem to restore email functions.  Not sure if this is in fact the only source or coincidental to something else. Adfender tech support claims no known bugs with email.  Hmmm...

Message 1 of 5 (531 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Adfender conflict with ATT/Yahoo email?

Laugesen wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem:  using ATT/Yahoo email and Firefox v23, email receives text only, no attachments; can't open any folders; can't delete or compose. Same problem with Chrome, Safari, IE.

After posting and receiving comments on another ATT help forum, using Sys Restore, browser re-set, AVG and Malwarebyte scans and then speaking with an ATT and subsequently a Yahoo tech for about an hour, the source of the problem was not identified.  At the conclusion of the first telephone conversation, when the email mysteriously resumed functions, the tech admitted she had "done nothing" using the remote control of my pc. Possibly some update had just then completed loading, she suggested.  

The same problem recurred about a week later.  In the second conversation, elevated directly to Yahoo support, again no clear solution except that disabling filtering on Adfender did and does seem to restore email functions.  Not sure if this is in fact the only source or coincidental to something else. Adfender tech support claims no known bugs with email.  Hmmm...

Ad blocking software, if set to maximum blocking, can mess up a website's functionality. If the page is set to load in a particular order and the ads loading comes before button activation and you block the ad, the page does not load completely. So, even with the graphics in place the function might not be. Like you might see the new message button but the script behind the button that makes it work isn't loaded yet. I've seen this issue on the Comcast.net website while using Spybot S&D.They do this specifically to defeat ad blocking software, if you don't let the ads in you can't use the site.

What I suggest, is setting the blocking software to prompt you for blocking permission so you can determine the ad that is stopping the page from loading.

Better yet, get a third party email client, and you won't have to use the ATT/Yahoo website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 5 (502 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Hello Laugesen - A friendly word - never allow any unknown person remote access to your computer.

Never.

To anyone you don't know on a first name basis or can't look in the eye face-to-face.

Ever.

For any reason.

Your own detective work was your first big clue: same problem using four different browsers! That pretty much narrows things down to your router/modem/ISP, your operating system settings, or ATT/Yahoo...my bet is on ATT/Yahoo then ISP and OS last.

Regards,

fiero850

Message 3 of 5 (485 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was having same problem , in adfender go to  applications  then under instant messengers uncheck yahoo messenger.Brought back some fuctions .

Message 4 of 5 (411 Views)
LGF
Contributor

In 3 words: YES. YES. YES.

I HAVE A SOLUTION.

I've used AdFender since 3/2012 & suddenly had the same issue in August. Mail didn't work in any browser. ATT home & online techs escalated the issue, I consulted a computer repair tech. No one could figure it out.

AdFender launches at startup & blocks whatever it wants to. Apparently, as of August, this included ATT/Yahoo mail functionality. You can:

A) Keep using AdFender, but force it to allow you to see your email.
B) Stop AdFender from launching automatically at startup and instead launch it when you want to use it.
C) Uninstall it completely.

Solution A: Keep AdFender, but force it to allow your email features.

After a shutdown or restart:

1. Launch Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) from your desktop. The Applications tab is open. AdFender is shown in the list to be running. Click it and then click End Task. (If it's not listed, check the Processes tab. Locate AdFender in the list. Click it, and then click the End Process button.) AdFender is now not running at all. Go ahead and leave Task Manager open so you can see what goes on.

2. Launch your browser and your email. As if by magic, it works as you expect.

Now. If you want to keep AdFender, but retain email functionality, complete these steps. You can keep your browser & email open, just resize your window to see your desktop.

3. Copy your email url (your http: email address) from the address bar.

4. Launch AdFender. (Because it was just running, you should see it in your Start Menu, but it's also under Programs.) The AdFender application window opens on your desktop.

5. Click Settings. You'll see a list of approved websites AdFender will not block. You want to add your email url to this list.

6. Click the Add button, and then paste your email url into the field. Click Add, and then click the Apply & OK buttons on the Settings tab.

7. Leave the AdFender window open if you want to stop it from launching automatically when you start your computer (solution B). 

OK. You've added your email URL to Approved Websites. AdFender is still running. Your browser and email are open. Press F5 to refresh your browser. Your email works.

These steps also work for other websites. For example, AdFender does not block the ads or video content from ABC's website, but it does block video content from CBS. Just copy the url or find the url in AdFender's Statistics tab (That's what I did for CBS because it wasn't just cbs.com, it was vidtech.cbsinteractive.com.), copy the url and follow steps 4-6.

I found I HAD to close AdFender in Task Manager before I could open AdFender's application window. If I didn't stop it from running, I could click the application icon a hundred times and the AdFender window would not open. You also must use Task Manager to stop AdFender from running before you can uninstall it. Otherwise you'll see an error message telling you the uninstall can't continue until you close down AdFender.

Solution B (optional)

Notice on the AdFender Settings tab the Startup Options checkbox is checked by default, causing AdFender to launch automatically. If you don't want this to happen, uncheck the box. You will then need to launch AdFender from your Programs/Start menu & refresh your browser whenever you're on a website where you find ads are annoying.

Solution C Uninstall AdFender

1. Launch Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) from your desktop. The Applications tab is open. AdFender is shown in the list to be running. Click it and then click End Task. (If it's not listed, check the Processes tab. Locate AdFender in the list. Click it, and then click the End Process button.) AdFender is now not running at all.

2. Uninstall AdFender. In Windows 7, click Control Panel-->Programs and Features-->AdFender-->UNINSTALL.

Message 5 of 5 (350 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.