Adding Linksys EA6300 router to my Uverse system

Voyager

Adding Linksys EA6300 router to my Uverse system

I currently have Uverse TV and Internet with a 2Wire Residential Gateway (RG).  In addition to currently serving as my wireles router, it has 4 ethernet cables hooked up to it (using all the outputs).  1 goes to a set top box (STB), 1 goes to a wireless access point (WAP) that goes to 2 wireless STB's, 1 goes to my son's Xbox and the last goes to a converter that is hooked to my homes electrical wiring and gets internet to one of my computers.   The RG is a 2Wire, I believe the model is i38HG.  The WAP is a Cisco, model VEN401-AT (this was installed by ATT).  I used to have issues with the TV freezing and internet dropping.  ATT said it was too far from the main box in the neighborhood (I forget what they called it), and they ended up installing an "INID", which I really don't know what it is.

In addition to what is hooked up via wires, my family has 4 laptops (3 PC, 1 Mac), 2 tablets (Kindle and iPad), Apple TV, a wireless printer and 4 cell phones (3 iPhones, 1 Android) that hook up to the system.  My son is getting an Alienware computer that will need to be hooked up via ethernet as well.  I get poor wireless reception in one portion of my house, the farthest point from the RG.  The house is a 1200 sq. ft ranch with a basement.  The RG is in the basement and it is upstairs that i get poor reception.

I bought a Linksys EA6300 AC1200 router to use with the RG to improve my wireless range.  This was based on recommendation from consultant at Best Buy.  What I think I want to do is turn off the wireless on the RG and use the Linksys for the wireless function and the 4 ethernet ports on the back.  I have read quite a few of the threads on here, and it is still not clear exactly how to set up the router and hook it to the RG without affecting anything else.  I am a complete newbie when it comes to networking, so need a complete step-by-step guide as how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 5 (1,645 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Adding Linksys EA6300 router to my Uverse system

[ Edited ]

sezwhoz - I have two suggestions ahead of using the EA6300 -
You can have multiple i38HGs - Easily wired together. Google i38HG to see what others have done.
You can also easily extend the wireless with one of these -
http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...

Some say the wireless to wireless halves the bandwidth, but it works for me & was easy to set up with WPS.

Here is a deal if you do not mind a refurb -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122496

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (1,642 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

I have heard mixed results of using one of the extenders, thus the reason I purchased the EA6300.  I have already opened the package, so doubt I can take it back at this point.  A lot of good information by searching i38HG, but still not clear as to how to set up my router.  If there are any instructions to clearly add this router, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5 (1,601 Views)
Tutor

If you use the Linksys for extending your WI-FI and NOT routing your internet connection. Then you will need to configure the device for WI-FI bridging. I have never seen a device that would do this with stock firmware. DD-WRT firmware will allow WI-FI bridging but can be flaky on some devices. You can lookup your router model at http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database but be warned that this is NOT for the novice and you risk destroying your router.

I recommend that you look at the Buffalo brand of WI-FI routers. Some models ship with DD-WRT and always is better than any non-commercial vendors firmware offering. http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless

BTW, your AT&T provided gateway will NOT accept DD-WRT firmware or other so DO NOT try.

Message 4 of 5 (1,445 Views)
ACE - Expert

Almost any Wireless Router can be configured to act as an Wireless Access Point.  It requires an Ethernet connection to the RG and some configuration, but doesn't require nonstandard firmware.  This can be used to extend the reach of your "wireless Internet" to wireless devices.

If you want to create a wired "island" of wired devices that connect back to your RG wirelessly, then you'd need a bridge, and then you'd need either an actual bridge device, or something that would take DD-WRT firmware, connect those devices to it via Ethernet cable and it would connect them to the RG wirelessly.

If you want a repeater, or range extender, which listens to the RG wirelessly and repeats the signal to client devices wirelessly (and vice versa), then again you'd need to buy a range extender or load DD-WRT into a device that supports it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (1,430 Views)