Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Contributor

Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

In Outlook I can receive email yet am unable to send. My new laptop is using Windows 7 operating system. I have checked my POP and SMTP settings which appear okay yet the test mentions service interruption of: Task ‘our email address @att.net – Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC0F) : ‘The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).’ Please help us resolve this annoying problem. Thanks in advance!!
Message 1 of 53 (74,465 Views)
Employee

Re: Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Hi sheryllynn1960!

Go to http://att.net website. Click on the Please Sign In link located at the upper-right hand corner of the page. Log in using your complete @att.net email ID and password. If you can login on the AT&T Yahoo! Portal, then follow these steps to check your Outlook email settings:

1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007 program.
2. Go to 'Tools' --> 'Account Settings' --> E-Mail tab. Highlight your email profile and click on the 'Change' button.
3. Make sure you have the following email settings:

In the User Information section:
Your Name - display name (i.e. full name)
E-mail Address - full AT&T Yahoo! email address (i.e. memberid@att.net)

In the Server Information section:
Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server - pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - smtp.att.yahoo.com

In the Logon Information section:
User Name - full AT&T Yahoo! email address (i.e. memberid@att.net)
Password - your email password
Remember password box should be checked.
'Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)' should not be checked.

Then click the 'More Settings' button.
Select the 'Outgoing Server' tab on top. On this tab:
Check the box beside My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
Select 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server'.

Then select the 'Advanced' tab on top. On this tab:
Check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' and under Incoming mail (POP3) change the port to 995.
On 'Use the following encrypted type of connection', please change it from NONE to SSL.
And then change the port to 465 on Outgoing mail (SMTP).

In the Delivery section, check the boxes next to "Leave a copy of messages on server" and "Delete from Server when removed from the Deleted Items" if you want to save your AT&T Yahoo! Mail messages on both the AT&T Yahoo! Mail server and on your local computer. Otherwise, do not check this box.
Click 'OK'.

5. Click on the 'Test Account Settings' button. If any information is incorrect or missing, you will be prompted to enter or correct it.
6. Click 'Next' then click 'Finish'.

7. Send a test email to yourself. Verify if you can send and receive the test email.

NOTE: If you are still unable to send emails, go back to the Outgoing Server settings.

Click the 'More Settings' button.
Select the 'Outgoing Server' tab on top. On this tab:
Check the box beside My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.

Select 'Log On Using' option. Then enter your complete AT&T Yahoo! email address (i.e. memberid@att.net) and password.

If all else fails, try to delete and re-create a new email profile. Again, make sure you have the correct settings above.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 53 (74,249 Views)
Tutor

This is the very same setup I had to go through and still I get the same error 0x800cccf. I can recieve but I can't send. I have yet to find tech support via At&T or any other that can help to get my outlook working correctly.

HELP!!

Message 3 of 53 (74,249 Views)
Scholar

I don't use Outlook, but here are the Thunderbird settings that work for me:

Outgoing server:  smtp.att.yahoo.com

Port:  25

Connection security:  STARTTSL, if available

Authentication method:  Password, transmitted insecurely

Message 4 of 53 (74,249 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem although I'm using Mac Mail 4.3 and my operating system is OSX 10.6.4. Everything was fine until a few days ago- now nothing will send and my mail client gets stuck attempting to connect to server "smtp.att.yahoo.com". Very frustrating since I've checked, rechecked and triple checked the settings.

Message 5 of 53 (74,249 Views)

This is what is frustrating.  There are multiple customers who have not had problems previously who are experiencing the same error, yet the AT&T CSR responses are to simply verify the settings we already have.

I'm getting the same error in Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Pro and Outlook Express in Windows XP Pro.  It does not appear to be OS or client dependent.

Message 6 of 53 (74,249 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello there CarolinaGuy123,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

With regard to your issue, the list is endless on what the reason could be when you're able receive emails, but can't send one. Given that, the focus is on the SMTP server. I guess you've already been in circles with us with the basic ran-around in troubleshooting emails. Provided all the settings is correct, then the problem could be on the Client mail itself or a security software could be blocking it. Try changing the profile of you client mail. With Outlook, it can be found in control panel then the mail icon. You can also do some trials and test mails in turning off your antivirus or any security application you have. Also, try doing it in safe mode with your computer. Those are some additional process that could be done. I know it's a little complicated, but this needs further tests and real-time assessment to rectify the problem properly. As of now, we don't have any memo nor reports that an outage or internal issue on our server is causing this problem. I suggest you call us in Technical Support, and for further Out of scope troubleshooting call Support Plus. I know this is frustrating. Please give us a ring. Thank you for your patience.

These are the contact details:

DSL Technical Support

Please call us at 888.321.2375 and just tell the machine "Technical Support" to make things faster. By the way we're open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Support Plus department

Call Center Hours: 8:00am - 11:00pm Central Time -new support+ 24/7 Support available via the Web at:

www.att.com/remoteservices

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 7 of 53 (74,249 Views)

Glad to see an AT&T response, though you're right, I've already tried all the "usual" troubleshooting:

I have three systems all exhibiting the same problem:

- A laptop running Windows XP Pro with Outlook Express 6

- A desktop running Windows 7 Pro with Windows Live Mail

- A laptop running a brand new install of Windows 7 Pro with Windows Live Mail

I have tried:

- Rebooting my router/switch

- Rebooting all the computers

- Connecting over both wi-fi and ethernet

- deleting and reconfiguring email settings

- switching off the Windows Defender and Firewall

- switching off McAffee Security Center, VirusScan Plus, and Firewall

- completely uninstalling all the McAffee software

- booting Windows in Safe mode

The only thing that seemed to work was doing NOTHING, leaving everything in the original configuration during which time I got a window of working SMTP service for about an hour.  Since then, I've been unable to send email via SMTP.  At no time do I have disruption of any other Internet connections, which work fine.

I do not have problems sending email using other servers over SMTP when I'm away from home, but AT&T requires me to use their SMTP server from home.  To me this strongly points to a problem on the AT&T end.

I don't have the patience to deal with going around-and-around with tech support right now, but if you have any additional suggestions I'm all ears.

CarolinaGuy

Message 8 of 53 (74,248 Views)

I forgot to mention... I also tried configuring an account in Outlook 2007 to send email and got the same error message.

Message 9 of 53 (74,248 Views)

This appears to be strictly an AT&T issue. Without making a single change to any of my settings, when I opened my mail client this evening, all pending messages sent and I've been able to send a few test messages. Interesting how these things "fix" themselves....

Message 10 of 53 (74,248 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello there CarolinaGuy123,

Thank you so much for your timely response and contacting us about this issue through the forums. I do apologize again for the trouble. I know it's frustrating and stressful there. Well you can call us though and ask for higher tier support to do advance troubleshooting directly.

Don't worry here in our end, We'll do our best. I just want to set expectations about our limits here; especially we are not troubleshooting real-time and I can't remotely control there as well.

Anyway, I would like to verify if you're using a Bellsouth/At&t email or a 3rd party email? For example, it has domain names like @lycos.com, @gmail.com, @hotmail.com and such.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Message 11 of 53 (68,722 Views)
Contributor

I have read with interest the issues with being unable to send email from within Outlook 2007. Frustrating is an understatement.

I am using Windows 7 Home, Outlook 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2009.

I have a primary att.net (which used to be worldnet.att.net) email account and 3 sub acounts that I have used, over the last 15 years, with all versions of Outlook. Until the change from the att.net server to a yahoo server, I had no problems both sending and downloading mail into and from Outlook 2007. Since about April, I have experienced fluctuating issues with either sending or recieving email through Outlook 2007 (corresponds with the time that att.net started using yahoo). I either was not able to send email or recieve email, but never both at the same time. For the last 3 weeks, I have been unable to send email from within Outlook 2007 on any of the att.net accounts.

I am unable to send email from within Outlook 2007:

Incoming mail server pop.att.yahoo.com works fine (I am able to recieve email) POP3 port 995, SSL

Outgoing mail server smpt.att.yahoo.com (I am unable to connect to outgoing mail server) SMPT port 465, SSL

I have reset all settings within Outlook 2007 as specified in this string.

I have read all of the help issues I can find, deleted and reset the accounts within Outlook 2007, I have followed all of the recommendations noted in this string of questioning, I have called all att  tech support numbers you gave and even spoke with Support Plus who wanted to charge me for looking at the issue. I even called the 888 number that shows up monthly on my credit card (they are clueless and put me on hold for >15 minutes). I am billed by AT&T INTERNET SVC 67877-SBCDSL5, which is operating as STHWSTRN BELL INTRNT SVCS in San Francisco. I spoke with NIS tech support and they determined that it wasn't NIS causing the issue and I spoke with my Internet provider (Cox) and they also indicated the same.

I am near cancelling my att.net accounts because they have become useless to me as I use my email address for both business and personal email. I have had the primary account for 15 years. I hope a solution is out there...........

Please.........

I look forward to any info anybody can provide.

Thanks.

Mark

Message 12 of 53 (68,722 Views)
Employee

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be with us at this point, I appreciate the admirable restraint you exercised in your message. My sincere apologies for the time you have spent dealing with this issue.

If you have already tried all the troubleshooting steps and unable to send and receive emails through Outlook 2007, I would suggest you to try to reconfigure your AT&T Yahoo! email account.

To reconfigure your AT&T Yahoo! email account, use the steps available in the link mentioned below:

I would also suggest you to use other easier way to check your AT&T Yahoo! emails, you may use the AT&T Yahoo! web mail to check your emails without any problem (while sending and receiving).

If the issue persists, and if you have already spoke to our technical support about this issue, I would suggest you to contact Microsoft support at (800) 936-5700.
You may also use the web link mentioned below to get support from Microsoft:

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 53 (68,722 Views)
Contributor

Someone has the answer on a different thread.  I followed that AT&T user's instructions, and my Outlook e-mail finally seems to be working. 

I had to uncheck the boxes requiring an SSL connection on the "Advanced" tab in the "More Settings" screen of the "Change E-Mail Account" process, and change the port settings to 110 for incoming and 587 for outgoing.  AT&T doesn't even seem to be aware of the change!!!!  (shaking head in TOTAL disbelief)  Their e-mail support for Outlook users is non-existent.  They always try to tell me it is a Microsoft problem and that I should contact Microsoft. 

Message 14 of 53 (68,722 Views)
Tutor

WOW!!!

i'm using Vista and have been having issues with this for past few days(STARTED SEPTEMBER 1ST)... and i've been up all night from 11:00pm til 6:30am this morning trying to fix this and googled everything about how suddenly and for no reason smtp.att.yahoo.com just suddenly stopped working for other users... and then i stumbled on this post! It appears that this has been happening to users for the past 4 to 5 years... where all of a sudden, their user email account settings in Outlook which have always worked... just suddenly stopped working due to a change on ATT's end without alerting the customer base! Google smtp.att.yahoo.com stopped sending and you'll see A LOT of people with this issue and no fault of their own!.

All i did was take the suggestion from ShredBetty and change my outgoing port setting away from 24 (which has worked for years by the way and was set previously by an att tech support person years ago) and set the outgoing  port to the new number i found in this post to outgoing port 587... AND IT WORKED!!!!!

You don't know how much i dreaded calling ATT support and ask what has happened on their end... i wish such changes to their servers were communicated better to customers... using att for mail isp or 3rd party outgoing mail.

But fortunatally this is working for now... or until things suddenly change again for no reason.

THIS IS NOT A MICROSOFT PROBLEM FOLKS....

I've been up all night trouble shooting this... and so tired... going to bed now.

ATT, please alert your customer base on such changes in the future... otherwise, we have to "Eat Cake" like customer pesants..... thats only a suggestion.

Still Your Customer.... until the next un-announced change on smtp.att.yahoo.com  mail servers, happy sending via Outlook everyone!

Message 15 of 53 (68,722 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.