Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Contributor

Re: Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Thanks for all of the help!!! None of these options were working for me... It seemed to allow "no verification" on my ATT.NET email account and was able to see received mails, however it REFUSED to send.... Reset Authintication from: NONE to PASSWORD... Works Fine Now!!! Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 53 (5,429 Views)
Tutor

Random SMTP failures

I'm on Charter internet but use my almost 20 year old att.net account for "everything".  Beginning about a month ago, I get, about 30% of the time, a message (I  _THINK_ from the server outbound.att.net) the message"

>> 0036 354 Start Mail. End with CRLF.CRLF

18: SSL read error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')

Occasionally it will be "

>> 0036 354 Start Mail. End with CRLF.CRLF
18: SSL read error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')
<< 0006 RSET
19: SSL write error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')

I recently changed server IDs to the outbound.att.net in an attempt to correct this, but it made no difference; I do not remember what I was using, but think it was something like smtp.att.yahoo.com.

What can I do to eliminate the cause of this error?

Note; I use an independent email client, the old Pegasus Mail which I've used for longer than I've been an ATT.net subscriber; it worked with our old Novell NetWare servers as well.

Message 47 of 53 (4,925 Views)
Teacher

Re: Random SMTP failures

[ Edited ]

Hey folks. I've had ATT Uverse High Speed for maybe five years now, and I periodically have this SMTP problem where I can rec'v but not send email. I usually end up on the phone with them and they just have me change a bunch of stuff and then somehow it's magically fixed. This time they have high call volumes and long wait times, so I came here.

I'm using Outlook 2010 on Win7. What I get is the error message that says it was interrupted when connecting to the server.

So, I tried to get my email on the Yahoo Web interface just to rule out other stuff, and I keep getting caught up in this parental thing and I cannot access my effing email at all on the Web. (I'm not the parent of a child on Yahoo, nor am I a child on Yahoo.)

In response to this thread I tried changing the SSL to Auto and also changing the ports to the unsecure ones (110 and 25). It can't connect to the server at all when I use those.

It keeps prompting me for my password, which I did just change just to make sure. But of course I can't confirm the new password using the Web interface the way I usually do.

At least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Message 48 of 53 (4,902 Views)
Contributor

Configure your mailbox setting i.e. SMTP and POP3 setting in Outlook Properly.

Thanking You

Message 49 of 53 (4,646 Views)
Tutor

This Post was started in March 2010 and it's now September 11, 2013 and AT&T hasn't changed the set-up information on the Self Help area. It's crap like this that makes me want to change my DSL service to Cable. On top of it everytime an AT&T rep offered a solution they sent us to the same help page that isn't helpful.

Pop3 = inbound.att.net port 995 Requires SSL

SMTP = smtp.att.yahoo.com port 587 Requires SSL

Out Going Mail Server check requires authentication and check Log On Using (enter email address)(enter password)

At this point you've tried som many things I don't think I need to telll you where everything is.

Over 3 years of posts looking for an answer and AT&T hasn't corrected the self help pages. If I waited that long I would lose visitors.

Message 50 of 53 (4,261 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

after a couple days of searching these settings worked.  for outlook'03 windows x

tools 

accounts 
click on account
properties
servers
account name:full email address
password 21873k4b
remember password checked
my server requires auth
hit settings
check log on using
full email and password
click remember password.

outgoing 465 ingoing 995 check both server requires secure.

Message 51 of 53 (3,874 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful answers.  I have Outlook 7 and was finally able to get my Emil to send by changing my outgoing mail server to imap.mail.yahoo.com.     Even though i have an .att Email thru unverse         Also changed my server port to 465 as suggested.   Only took 2 hours, but it is finally working!   Would have never known about he port number!  

Message 52 of 53 (2,511 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

All steps worked perfectly, and I am now able to receive and send with Outlook. The only watch-out is I have to be logged in to my att.com account or Outlook can't send. Apparantly the outgoing server doesn't recognize my credentials unless I'm already logged on to my account on att.com. I don't get why AT&T makes it so difficult to use Outlook for an e-mail client. I might have to give up and go back to using webmail again.

Message 53 of 53 (2,368 Views)