Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Re: Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

Read further down in the postings where it is suggested to change your outgoing server to 587 and incoming to 110 and turn off the SSL on the advanced settings tab.   It is sad that we as users have to support each other and can't receive this assistance from AT&T.

Message 31 of 53 (8,713 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

My email has been working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped last night. It has nothing to do with Outlook or Windows. It is AT&T. I don't know if this matters but they changed the POP and SMTP. It does say you can still use your old server settings but I think they did something without telling anyone.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=ZlYULh50ZvD

Note: AT&T's POP/SMTP settings have recently changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net. However, if you are using the old settings, they will continue to work.

The following mail server settings will work with all AT&T email domains: @ameritech.net, @att.net, @bellsouth.net, @flash.net, @nvbell.net, @pacbell.net, @prodigy.net, @sbcglobal.net, @snet.net, @swbell.net, @wans.net.

Incoming (POP): inbound.att.net

Outgoing (SMTP): outbound.att.net (requires authentication)

Incoming Port: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing Port: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

Message 32 of 53 (8,704 Views)
Teacher

I FINALLY solve this myself.  Using Win7 and Outlook 2010, I used all the standard settings given by ATT, but for the security of the smtp port (after the 465) I selected "Auto" on the pull down menu.  

For some reason, that solved my problem--now I can send email!!!

ATT should fix this instruction on their "help" site.

Message 33 of 53 (8,603 Views)
Contributor

I'm glad it helped you. However, I'm still struggling with this junk! AT&T Tech support is useless!

Message 34 of 53 (8,559 Views)
Tutor

You might try different port settings as ATT (yahoo mail) seems to keep changing them.  The pop should be either 995 (secure) or 110 (non secure) and the smtp 465 (secure) or 25 (non-seccure). Right now 995 and 465 or 110 and 25 all seem to work but last week only 110 and 25 would work. Before that only, 995 and 465 would work..  Why do they keep changing them, I have not a clue nor does ATT tech support as I was told that ATT does not support and e-mail clients on a personal computers. 

Message 35 of 53 (8,557 Views)
Teacher

Just found this on AT&T's support page:
"Alert: Intermittent Password Issues

AT&T has identified several intermittent password-related issues that may impact customers, including the following:

Customer email passwords suddenly stop working After password resets, customers are unable to access email Customers are getting caught in password reset loops The "Remember Me" password option for email isn't always working Customers are unable to send/receive email with new mail settings

Please be aware that AT&T is working to resolve these issues. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above and have been unsuccessful accessing your email or resetting your password, please Contact Us for more assistance."
Message 36 of 53 (8,548 Views)
Contributor

I had same problem.  Using Outlook Express 6.  After many try's with all suggestions, I went to the Outgoing submenu under servers and put in my email address and password for the outgoing mail.  This is opposed to the option of "use the same settings as incoming".  (these notes may not be exact words on screens because I'm trying to remember them without going back to Outlook)

cougar6333

Message 37 of 53 (8,306 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that AT&T email server is very inconsistent. I received my email from Outlook @07:00AM to 09:00AM then I received error message: "
Task{personal content removed for safety}- Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I was able to login via web browser and see all my new mail but continue to receive the error message above from outlook. This problem happens quite often and it is very frustrating. Especially, go thru with AT&T tech support so many times and they check your setting. My setting must be correct cause I did not change and receive email just an hour earlier.

Any advise from AT&T or some of you who had a same problem.... My gmail never fail me at all....

Message 38 of 53 (7,938 Views)
Contributor

What are you supposed to do when you are trying to send a email using your work email address? I travel my email works everywhere I go except when I come to my parents house. Please Explain why I would even have to change any of my email settings for my work email when it works on several different networks. I have checked the firewall settings on the local Rewire router smtp is enabled. I even tried setting up my laptop on the DMZ. I do not understand why I can receive emails but I cannot send any when connected using the uverse connection. I looked in the logs and it looks like anything going out on port 25 gets dropped. Explain why that is when the firewall rules to allow outbound smtp traffic but when I look in the logs on the ATT equipment it tells me they dropped the packet.

src=192.168.1.76 dst=72.35.12.5 ipprot=6 sport=52287 dport=25 TCP SYN Packet Dropped.

this looks like you are blocking outbound traffic on port 25

Message 39 of 53 (7,827 Views)
Contributor

microsofttrainer wrote:

I had the same problem with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010.  I am also a certified Microsoft Office trainer.  These new settings are not documented anywhere on the At&t Uverse site nor did the tech rep for AT&T know these settings are to even offer them to fix my problem.  They only wanted to send me to a 3rd party support team that would charge me.  Since more than 90% of the population uses Outlook as their email software you would think that this would be supported.  I find this poor customer service.  When I had Comcast they were able to support at no charge.

AMEN!  How stupid is it to make a company decision to NOT help your customers when the solution is simple....and guess what, TWC DOES help their customers in this department.  So, I guess when my introductory period is over with AT&T, I'll be switching back to TWC where I can get help when I need it, without a fee!

BTW, this setting did help me.  I am using a company email, Outlook 2010, Windows 8 beta.  

Outgoing server: Port 465 with SSL.  I did NOT have to change anything with my incoming.  I hope this helps someone.  

Message 40 of 53 (7,754 Views)
Contributor

Worked like a charm! Thank you!
Message 41 of 53 (7,607 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

This information was very helpful!!!!
I can now send emails.

Thanks
Donald

[edited for privacy]

Message 42 of 53 (7,135 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem and followed the immediate response posted and I was then able to send from outlook 07.  However, being a brand new customer to U-Verse, I called customer support and got the typical AT&T run-around...only to end up in the advanced customer service section with them trying either sign me up on a $15/month tech support scheme or a one time $49.95 fix it fee.  AT&T is your typical "Take Advantage Of Anyone We Can" type of business.  I am currently working on replacing AT&T with another carrier, starting with Verizon.  That will be about $3600.00/year AT&T won't get.  Next, I will take my $600.00/year and give it to another provider.  I recommend that everyone else do the same.

Message 43 of 53 (6,014 Views)
Contributor

Karen_2...THANK YOU!!!! I have literally spent 2 hours trying to fix this on my machine. They tried to send me to a paid-for support until I found you. You're the best! :-)
Message 44 of 53 (5,853 Views)
Contributor

I have TWO :aptops running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT.

Called customer service and all they could do was blame it on outlook 2007 and recent updates that changed something.

NOT SO AT ALL......

Your settings above fixed it. EVERYONE be sure to change the little box from NONE to SSL.

That fixed it!!

Great job!

Message 45 of 53 (5,818 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.