AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Contributor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

This move by ATT is absolutely outrageous. A 150 GB cap is unrealistic to say the least! I have the following equipment in my home:

4 computers

Streaming enabled Blu-Ray player with Netflix, Vudu, etc

AppleTV for buying and renting movies online

X-Box 360 for online gaming and Netflix

DirectTV HD DVR with VOD through internet

Internet connected Plasma HDTV

I also use my computer at home to do some consulting and tech support/troubleshooting which also adds to the load.

I have been experimenting with usage in my home using the ATT usage website for one week. I have NOT used more than 1 computer to check email and light web surfing and the X-Box to online game and Netflix. My usage so far has been averaging about 8GB a day. That would put me at 240GB for the month alone with very little usage of my equipment. My past usage has been averaging about 320GB+/- a month and it will continue to climb as more streaming services become available. I did a system software update and an iPhone software update that were 1.5 GB by themselves. At 150GB I would only be allowed 5GB a day! The 2 updates would burn up a third of that!

This is nothing more than a money grab on the part of ATT to get at some of the revenue stream from Netflix and other streaming services.

ATT ARE YOU LISTENING! I personally have NO problem with paying a little more for more bandwidth if I use it. To discriminate against non-U-Verse customers is unconscionable and if not illegal, it should be. Cap me at 250GB and charge me a reasonable fee for overage. $5.00 a GB is NOT reasonable! At the 150GB cap I would double my cost for internet access. A deal breaker to say the least!

If ATT does not modify this position before May I will dump anything that has ATT name on it. I will also make sure that all family members dump all ATT services EVEN if I have to pay out of my own pocket to get them set up with new services. That is 5 households that I can effect a change in. I am also the President of a computer user group with around 100 households as members. I will do everything in my power to suggest other services other than ATT and do everything I can to bad mouth your company. I will also do everything I can to get my consulting customers to change their businesses and homes to other services. 

I suggest that everyone reading these discussions consider doing the same with everyone you come in contact with on a daily basis. If every ATT customer can effect at least 10 or more ATT customers to switch that can add up to a lot of $$$$$ in lost revenue and customers.

I am not one to be treated badly by any company I deal with. I had a bad experience with Canon years ago and I pass it along to everyone I know and have effectively cost Canon money. It may not be a lot individually but when you sour people on a company it makes a difference over time.

I have written my Congressman and Senators over this along with a complaint to the FCC.

ATT ARE YOU LISTENING!

DO YOU WANT A CUSTOMER REVOLT?

Message 61 of 177 (2,135 Views)
Contributor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

I will absolutely be leaving AT&T once this happens. This is pure garbage! AT&t, upgrade your internet architecture to handle the bandwidth, don't milk us for your corporate mistakes and bad decisions. Do you really think your customers will stick around once they get hit with an increase on their monthly statement? Have you not seen the news lately with the economy still trying to recover and gas prices rising everyday? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN MINDS!!!

Message 62 of 177 (2,096 Views)
Mentor

I find it almost comical that ATT is content on ticking o...

I find it almost comical that ATT is content on ticking off the other 98% of their customer base, loosing lots of customers that obviously use less bandwidth than the 2% / 20% usage group... So they are going to end up with less money coming in, but still those people eating up their network....  *thumbs up* to AT&T...

I got a letter yesterday from the FCC about my complaint. I also got a call from AT&T today about my FCC complaint. I didn't get to talk to them but they left a message. I might call them back and give them a piece of my mind.

Stand up and fight? If AT&T hasn't gotten a clue from these message boards, why should we continue to fight them? That's why there is a free market out there. I can switch to a competitor and reward them with my loyalty (and money) for doing a better job than the competition...

Message 63 of 177 (1,992 Views)
Teacher

Re: I find it almost comical that ATT is content on ticking o...

Hi Jason,

Can you tell me where you filed this FCC complaint and which form you used. Others here may want to do the same. 

I am bothered here by a few things:

1). AT&T has not replied or commented here. Cowards

2). This is a circumvention of the network neutrality rule. Instead of charging the companies, they have just moved the charge to the user, but the effect is the same, streaming providers "pay more". If the providers themselves had to pay, they would have passed it on to consumers in the form of higher prices. AT&T has simply done this for them. 

3). In regard to your message Jason, I suspect the number of people who complain here is small, and we probably ARE the 2%, not the 98%. AT&T knows that we will complain, but IF AT&T's decision is allowed to stand, as it appears to be the case, then this will just become standard operating procedure for ALL internet providers. So much for network neutrality holding. AT&T has cleverly found a way to walk around it.

4). Like so many here, this is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth for AT&T. Between home phone, business phone, internet, and a pair of iPhones, we spend $300 to $400 a month with AT&T. As many here have stated, I will start moving these services off when I have an alternative.

5). As much as I hate AT&T for this, I hate Comcast more, yet I am now in talks with Comcast Business to try their service for a month. Currently, their business service is unlimited useage, and right now, over twice the speed down, and 3 times the speed up for their starter service. The cost is about 50% more, but then I will not have to meter, it is faster, and there are no limits.

If this pans out, my internet service moves. And they also offer phone service, which means my two phone lines may move as well, or maybe I go to Magic Jack or Vonage or some other internet phone and drop landline all together. 

Way to set loyalty AT&T.

To repeat others, I have no problem with caps and/or rate increases that make sense, but this is just an arbitrary increase to bolster your own services. 

Be nice if you could actually respond to people here AT&T. 

Message 64 of 177 (1,971 Views)
Contributor

I'm sure you all have read the updated terms of service that went out this morning concerning the implementation of use limits for internet service:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=AInuBaWbMxZ

It's interesting to note that we can not currently check our usage in all areas, I for one, can not.  I can only calculate the traffic since my router was reset, about 36 hours ago, which indicates roughly 10 gb of data.  That pretty much shows that I will be over the limit by around 16gb, and to be honest, I've not done very much online, but I rely heavily on my internet connection.  To sum this up, this is a deal breaker for me, and this being the suggestion forum, I'd simply like to suggest that AT&T not do this-  other service providers are not doing it, so I'll simply switch. 

Increasing the limit to something reasonable, or adding the option to increase this limit may be acceptable, but 250 gigabytes a month can be easily topped on my ipad, hence the service plan indicative of that expectation.  The observation that the average user uses 18gb per month isn't at all accurate for anyone with a reasonably fast internet connection;  why have a 25208 kbs connection if you only use 18gb a month?

I would also like to suggest that AT&T not trivialize the arbitrary decision to do this by masking it behind a "terms of service" update, this is a big deal, and you should let people know what you are doing so that they can respond to your decision.  Do not forsake the good will of your customers, it's not easily gained.

Message 65 of 177 (1,954 Views)
Contributor

Here's me putting my voice in.

Yeah, times are rough, and companies need to make money.  But guess what, if enough people jump ship from AT&T, times will surely get even rougher.  Problem is internet service is one of those things you don't have many options on.

What can we possible do about it?  Some of the more proactive customers may find some type of hole somewhere that will give them a valid reason to someone sue AT&T.  Us others, well, we can state our opinions, and not just on the forums, but by calling AT&T.

I just got of the phone with AT&T, I was advised they they have had a very large number of customers already calling in, and they know its only going to get worse.  They have a rep that will be calling me back today.  Let's see how that goes.

But seriously, caps on the internet in AMERICA?  Come on.  I know plenty of countries arcross both ponds have lots of internet caps, but we have the might and infrastructure to not have to do the same. 

The internet started with no caps, and it should move forward not backwards.

Message 66 of 177 (1,881 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

orubin wrote:

Can you tell me where you filed this FCC complaint and which form you used. Others here may want to do the same. 

Here's the form I used, filled out section #1....

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000A

It is obviously deceptive because on their web page they clearly say "We don't limit your bandwidth to a particular amount"....  Errr... ummm... then what are they doing?

Message 67 of 177 (1,865 Views)
Mentor

Flybye wrote:

Here's me putting my voice in.

Yeah, times are rough, and companies need to make money.  But guess what, if enough people jump ship from AT&T, times will surely get even rougher.  Problem is internet service is one of those things you don't have many options on.

Hard to say times are rough when companies like AT&T are making record profits... Haven't you seen their bid to buy T-Moblie for like $39 BILLION?

Message 68 of 177 (1,863 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Exactly...AT&T how about you spend that $39 billion upgrading your equipment to keep current customers happy? How do you expect customers to stay loyal to you when you screw them like this? You know that DSL slows down to a snails pace during peak times. You know that DSL gets disconnected many times. You know that these caps are rediculous. You know that this will pi$$ off a lot of customers. Wait I know the answer....you just don't care. You don't deserve our loyalty. Do what I did everybody and switch carriers for DSL, home phone, and cell service. We need to teach this horrible company a lesson. 

Message 69 of 177 (1,854 Views)
Contributor

I just checked my usage for last month using the usage tool AT&T setup.  I really find it hard to believe that "Our average DSL customer uses only about 18 GB per month".  Almost everyone I know streams Netflix and there is no way that can be just 18 GB per month.   We used 100 GB during the last billing cycle.  We stream Netflix (freely without giving it a second thought), surf the internet, and my wife works online 4 hours per night, 5 nights per week making and receiving calls via USB headset.  I guess we are very close to being a "2% high usage customer".  What's sad is that where I live, we have no options other than AT&T to consider because we live in a rural area.  Is there any hope for AT&T cancelling this?  If so, what can we do? 

Message 70 of 177 (1,845 Views)
Contributor

I forgot to mention... My wife called inquiring about this and none of the customer service reps seemed to know anything about this.  She was on the phone for 45 minutes being transferred from place to place and then the call was mysteriously dropped.  It seems like they would want to make this easier for us.  I don't have another choice for high speed, but I can see those that do have a choice will consider dropping AT&T!

Message 71 of 177 (2,221 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the link. Sadly, I am not a uVerse customer (or maybe happily) so I cannot claim deceptive advertising. But I do want to complain on the grounds of Net Neutrality here. They have basically the same thing as if they charged the service like Netflix or Hulu more. In that case, they would have raised prices (or charged a fee to recover the cost) and the consumer would have paid more. Now, AT&T has simply done this for them, charging the consumer directly, as the people who will go over are the ones who use those services.  This is not net neutrality, but rather a clever way around it. 

Still waiting for AT&T to chime in here.

Message 72 of 177 (2,181 Views)
Teacher

"We use the Internet with computer networking to bring HD television right into your home."

Considering this, U-VERSE content should then count against a users internet usage. By excluding their own internet content and penalizing non-AT&T services, they are prioritizing their content over competing services.

Message 73 of 177 (2,168 Views)
Teacher

Receiving the email talked about changes to the TOS. Reading the entire TOS there is only one small 3 line paragraph concerning "usage". It states nothing informative whatsoever and the link it contains for supposed information is dead.

The TOS for new accounts states absolutely nothing about the upcoming cap, so new customers are buying blind into the service.

I truely find it beyond belief that a huge corporation like AT&T can be so misleading, undermining, and unprofessional in their business operations. Simply disgusting!

Message 74 of 177 (2,143 Views)

Smiley MadBefore May, I will drop AT&T.And go cable.Enough is enough.I have already gave up my landline and wireless I went with Magic-Jack and StreightTalk. These services are better than AT&T.at lease they don't  cheat you.they are up & up.This is a fare well letter to AT&T. AT&T I will fire you.You are not good for me. I am going to Road-runner.

Message 75 of 177 (2,117 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.