AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Mentor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

I can confirm the oversell part... DSL in my neighborhood you used to be able to get up to the 6Mb plans... We always had the 3Mb and every now and then I would login to see if they had any upgrade specials... Well, one day the 6Mb plan dissapeared! Trying some other home addresses they would only offer 3Mb!!!! That's PATHETIC, especially compared to what Comcast offers (Now with Docsis 3 in our area we can get 50Mb!)...

Back on the subject of caps.... What if we don't agree to their change in the TOS? Does that mean we can keep our unlimited bandwidth, or will they drop us as a customer? I fully plan on sending a letter back saying that I don't agree to their new TOS, and if they want to drop me then it's them that will be terminating my contract and I do not expect to see any crazy early termination fees...

Tags (1)
Message 46 of 177
Tutor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

The 'tool' is useless. The data it has for last month shows I used much more than my own meter and I'm on a single machine with no wireless activity. In addition to 'over metering' usage, the information updates more than 4 days later and apparently is collected only weekly UNTIL you go over the amount; you're already screwed at that point. In the very least, the users need ACCURATE data collected and displayed in REAL TIME, but this is not the case. This is certainly a reason to call and move down a tier for speed; what's the point of paying more money for more speed you can't use without a penalty.

Tags (1)
Message 47 of 177
Contributor

Does anyone know if this includes Bellsouth users? I know AT&T owns Bellsouth, but I can only pray that they're operated separately.

Tags (1)
Message 48 of 177
Teacher

Yes, it includes former Bellsouth customers.  Bellsouth is gone, it's all AT&T now.

Tags (1)
Message 49 of 177
Voyager

This is awful I stream all kinds of games using ESPN3 that comes with getting Uverse now I will have to count how much bandwidth me watching a game is going to eat up every weekend?  Att is just leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth on all fronts now. 

Tags (1)
Message 50 of 177
Contributor

I'll be looking into Sonic.net here in the Bay Area if AT&T decides to implement the cap. Sonic seems to be doing good things around here with Google while keeping prices competitive. Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/business/06digi.html?_r=1&src=busln

And CEO of Sonic responds to AT&T's cap:

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/03/23/drilling-through-the-caps/

And interesting interview:

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/02/22/triangulation/

Tags (1)
Message 51 of 177

If AT&T puts a cap on my service I will go somewhere else like bright house .I say no to the cap. I went about 2 months of outage.and didn't get credit.Say no to the cap. Fire AT&TSmiley Mad

Tags (1)
Message 52 of 177

I have and I don't like the new terms at all. I will drop. I have dropped my cell service and land-line so I guess the internet will be next. Like everyone else I just started to get netflex .I called the cable co. which is BrightHouse to get a price.Told them when AT&T STARTED THE CAP I WILL BE CALLING THEM BACK TO INSTALL.THEN I WILL FIRE at&t.IT WILL COST ME ALITTLE MORE, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT JUST TO SAY NO TO AT&T.iREPLACED ATT CELL WITH STRAIGHT TALK AND I ALSO GOT MAGIC JACK ................     lOVE IT.

Tags (1)
Message 53 of 177
Teacher

I will cancel when they implement this cap on bandwidth usage, this is outrageous!  Me and my wife use the internet daily and we are heavy internet users we watch a lot of tv episodes online, play a lot of video games, and watch a lot of my HD movies through Netflix, I also upload a lot of files to our website every month, and do a lot of debugging.  I used to think AT&T's U-Verse DSL service was the best around but all that has changed now.  Very, very disappointed.

I used to have U-Verse TV but canceled due to their high prices and decided to go with netflix and online instead.  I would not be surprisedif the next thing they put a cap on is how many hours of Uverse-TV people can watch. Ex: 150hrs/month 120 channels for $60/month, add 50 hrs more for $20 more.....  I can see that coming.

Tags (1)
Message 54 of 177
Contributor

AT&T sent me a link to their new terms of service indicating the cap on data transfers.  I plan to drop them as my Internet, telephone and mobile service provider ASAP. I never wanted to be an AT&T customer to begin with, but they bought up my former providers.

Tags (1)
Message 55 of 177
Tutor

Let's just say if the cap it, I'm out too. 30usd laggy internet. Drips during prime time (5pm~10pm). High ping. Techs don't know what is wrong with it. Etc.

Tags (1)
Message 56 of 177
Tutor

Is Sonic DSL available in the Sacramento area, or just the Bay Area?

Tags (1)
Message 57 of 177
Contributor

I am dropping my service as well, as soon as I can get set up with CDE Lightband in my area. I have unbearably slow speeds from about 4pm-11pm daily, have internet disconnects, and now a cap. I had been holding out for U-Verse, figuring new lines would help with some of the former issues and that I'd be able to switch to the tv service as well. However, now with the caps...forget about it.

I can get unlimited 10Meg upload and download speeds for $34.95 a month. This means I can continue to move forward with technology and not be stifled at usage limits. We have multiple computers and console games and obviously, multiple users in the home.

I am aggravated enough at this point to not only cancel my home phone and internet service, but my wireless service as well.

Tags (1)
Message 58 of 177
Teacher

The answer to the problem is not to bail and go elsewhere, the answer is to stand your ground and fight. AT&T sold more DSL accounts than their network can handle. Guess what? They're still selling them to anyone willing to pay!!!!!!! Even when their network is known to be overloaded, AT&T will sign you up for a new DSL account without batting an eye. Then they start limiting how much you can use because they dont have the bandwidth to provide all those NEW ACCOUNTS THEY"RE STILL SIGNING UP EVERY DAY!!!!!

The FCC are the only ones that can remedy this issue. Don't bail and end up with the same thing eventually happening elsewhere. File a complaint with the FCC and make AT&T provide you with what you are paying for. They can't just change the rules to suit them right in the middle of the game. There are laws and regulations against this type of treatment towards consumers. Make your Gov do their job, and dont let AT&T trample all over your rights!

If AT&T has $39 billion to spend buying out a competitor, then they have $39 billion to instead spend to fix what they already have, and they should be forced to do so instead of screwing the consumer while they keep loading their pockets without having to provide what they offer.

Tags (1)
Message 59 of 177
Contributor

First off, let me say I really hope someone in the AT&T organization actually reads these forums. 

Secondly, I happen to live in an area where AT&T is my ONLY internet option, unless, of course, I go with a satellite hook-up, not a very good solution.  I'm currently in the military, been in Iraq for 11 months now, I'll be home next month.  I need to ask, are you kidding me?  You seriously want to cap my internet usage?  I got the email today.  Sorry to say, but No SIR! 

When I get home I'm building a new computer, my little present to myself for a year here.  What do you think I'm going to use it for?? Mostly the internet!  I watch netflix, I like youtube, I browse tech forums, and occasionally I like to play a game or 2.  Not a "power user", but I do spend some time on the internet.  I have older children that play games, my wife is enrolled in an online school.  EVERYTHING IS ONLINE!   This is the year 2011 for pete's sake! 

Capping internet usage these days is like rationing gas...telling me I can only drive so many miles a month.  Are you kidding?  Obviously you are.  What's the point of internet service in 2011 if you can't take advantage of EVERYTHING on it?  I've put up with junk service for a long time, and now you're going to make it worse. 

I think you should maybe quit blaming "power users" for your problems, and fix your system.  Last time I checked, the US is a free country.  I should know, I've spent over half my life making sure it is.  Unlimited internet is something we should be entitled to, especially in our high tech society.  I've spent the last year on the worst connections possible, and was really looking forward to movies when I want them, building and updating my system, watching HULU, and maybe getting an internet TV.  Can't do that now...why?  Because some company is telling me I can only use 150GB a month.  You're "average" user today isn't the guys that check email and leave.  It's the younger generation, where they do everything online. 

No Sir, this is not ok with me.  I do not agree with the User Agreement in it's new form.  Yeah I get it, I don't agree, I won't have internet service.  Well, you know what, that isn't acceptable, either.  I propose you find a new solution that everyone can live with. I'll be home this time next month, and plan on using A LOT of my UNLIMITED service. 

Tags (1)
Message 60 of 177
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support