Ask a question

Posted Mar 16, 2011
2:23:12 PM
View profile
AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.
AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

ATT USERS BEWARE!

ATT is setting a limits on the amount of Download (Bandwith) you can use for DSL subscribers   CNN posted this MSG today in its tech section.  TELL ATT this wont be tolerated.  If your like me watching vids via netflix, or CNN news streaming media or online gaming (Flight Sim X online) you will meet this limit very fast and be forced to pay more with 10.00 per every 50GB downloaded.    Please help us reverse ATT decision on this poor choice. 

CALL / EMAIL    ATT AND SAY NO TO THIS POLICY!

(WIRED) -- AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Traditional DSL users will be capped at 150 GB per month, while subscribers to the fiber-backed UVerse system have a 250-GB limit. Usage over that will be charged at $10/month for 50 GB, the company says.

The company says that currently only a small percentage of users -- around 2% -- use this much data a month. If that's the case, it's not clear why the company is bothering to install the caps.

It is, however, the same rationale (and the same usage stat) that the company relied upon to explain why it would be capping iPhone data plans last summer, which had hitherto been "unlimited."

WIRED: Congressman wants to ban download caps

DSL and UVerse connect fairly directly to a hub -- unlike cable connections where users share a local loop that can become congested. Bulk-bandwidth costs for an ISP are a tiny portion of its business costs, and those prices continue to fall even as users consume more and more data.

So, how could a user end up hitting these caps? Streaming video such as HD movies from Netflix, using bittorrent to download movies and heavy gaming with services like Steam can easily eat up lots of data, especially in households with multiple heavy internet users.

AT&T isn't the first large broadband provider to impose caps. Comcast imposed a 250-GB cap shortly after the company was caught throttling bittorrent downloads.

Time Warner Cable tried going further with trials of a service that imposed very low limits for users, which led to a furor among users and lawmakers.

There's little data to demonstrate whether large ISPs actually are experiencing real issues with congestion. Skeptics see the limits as ways to discourage cable video customers from "cutting the cord" and getting their video online, or as a way to pocket profits instead of re-investing in bulking up their infrastructure.

Derek Turner, the research director for the net neutrality advocacy group Free Press says the limits will discourage online innovation, and that with the growth curve of internet usage, the limits will soon catch many internet user.

"When ISPs force their customers to watch the meter, experimentation, innovation and business will suffer," Turner said.

"AT&T's actions are another troubling symptom of a broadband market that lacks meaningful competition, and this move may be the start of a race to the bottom among other providers to see who can squeeze its customers the most. At worst, this is a plan designed to discourage cord-cutting and pad profits; at best, this is another example of an antiquated phone-company business model being forced onto an otherwise vibrant and limitless marketplace."

Thanks for reading

176 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(176)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 4:19:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

So how do you find out your current usage.  when I looked it up on my account, it reads I don't have usage because it's unlimited.  But I work from home and transcribe audio and video which I download from my clients and with AT&T imposing a cap I would like to see what my current usage is.   They need to provide tools for people to see if and how it will affect them.    Luckily the internet company I used to use left all the wiring intact as I said I may consider using them in the future... the future may be here!

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

31 of 177 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 6:58:28 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by pamelaz on Mar 20, 2011 at 7:37:05 PM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I've already turned your services into the FCC, contacted my congressmen and a lot more. You want me to respect you? Then start earning it!

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

[ Edited ]
32 of 177 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 11:29:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you haven't heard, AT&T is buying T-Mobil.  I wonder if adding caps was AT&T's way of squeezing more money out of their wired broadband service in order to help defray the costs of the T-Mobil acquisition.  At any rate, once that merger goes through, we'll only have three national carriers - AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.  Perhaps Sprint will choose to become the discount carrier that T-Mobil is now.  Do they have unlimited data plans?  I imagine T-Mobil's will be disappearing.  I wonder if the FCC would actually allow AT&T to buy T-Mobil and Verizon to buy Sprint (if they were even interested in such a move).  Fewer carriers means more stagnation, less innovation, and higher prices.  Whoopee.  At any rate, Sprint seems pretty screwed by this move, especially since they were reportedly in talks to buy T-Mobil.  

33 of 177 (2,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 6:49:56 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by thirteenthmuse on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:51:10 AM

For those of you who are contacting the FCC, here is a little bit of information that might be helpful.  I did live chat with an AT&T agent the other day and AT&T is trying to pass the "Fair Access Policy" (which is what bandwidth capping is called) off as a law implemented by the FCC.

[ Edited ]
34 of 177 (2,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 7:55:58 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by dibola1 on Mar 21, 2011 at 7:56:11 AM

I filed a FCC complaint against AT&T also...hope others join in and do the same.

[ Edited ]
35 of 177 (2,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 8:56:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

Don't forget the BBB. Filing a complaint with the BBB has helped some people.

36 of 177 (2,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:19:09 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Mar 21, 2011 at 9:31:52 AM

This is ridiculous! My service just keeps taking hits from ATT.  I've been a customer for over 13 years with DSL and every other year the service just gets worse.  They take away from the packages each time, lower the bandwidth and at terms like UP TO 6.1 MBS.  The upstream is a joke.  With all of their new customers that are "clogging" their net you'd think they'd spend some money upgrading their infrastructure to accommodate what they are selling.  Further more the CAP should have been highlighted in the E-MAIL not hidden on some secondary web page.   Why wouldn't I change over to camcast now?  Sure they have a cap, but better speeds up and down come with that cap, at the same price.  ATT continues to disappoint me.  Rather than looking forwards to the future seeing people are going to be streaming HDTV and HD MOVIES and being ready to accommodate the progress, att trys to stifle it and hinder it.  What a joke.  150 gb cap. Lets see if i use the online world of war-craft installer and so does my girlfriend to install clean copies of a game we own and pay for legally, that's going to use over 60% of the cap for the month.  Or about 21 HD MOVIES from netflix.  So you cant even watch a movie every night under the 45 dollar package I pay for. Let alone watch UTUBES mail and do the CAMERA STREAMING CHAT I do all day everyday.  So basically ATT is just not for me anymore.  Greedy {word filter evasion}

[ Edited ]
37 of 177 (2,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:26:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

Tell me about it.......it's a lot more than 2% AT&T claim will only be affected.....a lot of people play wow and that sucks up alot of bandwidth just installing alone.

38 of 177 (1,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:34:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

the cap doesnt start untill may.  I spoke with an ATT rep and she said there would likely be a webpage what has your stats on it and they would email you when you got close to the cap. But they havent told their service resp anything about the change yet.  How stupid is that, call the company to get info and the people that are supposed to be there to help you and know have been left in the dar. 

39 of 177 (1,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 10:30:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

ATT is still adverting the U verse service as unlimited even thogh in less than 50 days it wont be.  That cant be legal.

40 of 177 (1,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 10:38:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by evankirk on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:38:57 AM

It is legal until AT&T notifies everyone about changes to its terms of service.  I believe they have 30 days, IIRC.  From what I have read at various places, the letters are already going out.  I haven't received mine yet, though.

[ Edited ]
41 of 177 (2,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 11:07:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

If the deal goes through the way it is I will be dropping my internet, and phone service. This is what happens when there is almost no competion out there. I've just signed up with netflix online and I love it. However I will drop that and just go back to renting the dvd's through the mail.

I was going to sign up for cell phone service but now I am not going to do that either. This move will spell bad news for the consumer and I hope that it is not approved.

42 of 177 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 2:34:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Until the cap is inevitably enacted, I invite AT&T DSL subscribers to take full advantage of the handy new usage monitoring tool! During our last 'unlimited' month, EVERY account should try to get as close to the 150 gig limit as possible (practice makes perfect).

I'm sure they'll have more than enough bandwith to accommodate this (provided that the pesky 2% manages to keep it in check).

43 of 177 (2,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 4:40:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I wonder when AT&T actually plans to notify all its customers.  I haven't received an email from them nor did I get any kind of notice in my bill, which arrived today.

44 of 177 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:05:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Heres the deal. AT&T knowingly oversold their DSL network and is now supposedly congested. AT&T cannot/will not provide advertised speeds but are still charging the same full rates for DSL service. Now they intend to put a monthly cap on DSL users so as to "ease congestion". Thing is, you can still use all the bandwidth you want, it will just cost you more. How does this "ease congestion"? Will/does AT&T throttle users? Most likely. Will AT&T cut your speeds to zilch if you go over the cap? Maybe. Then in the next breath, AT&T announces its intended buyout of the fourth largest wireless carrier for a cool 39 billion. They can spend 39 billion to get rid of competition, but they cant spend 39 billion to fix their supposed ailing network so DSL customers can get what they actually pay for. This is purely a profit move, not a fix for DSL customers. The buyout is proof of that.

EVERYONE file complaints with the BBB and FCC!!!!  It only takes a few minutes of your time.

45 of 177 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 6:44:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

I can confirm the oversell part... DSL in my neighborhood you used to be able to get up to the 6Mb plans... We always had the 3Mb and every now and then I would login to see if they had any upgrade specials... Well, one day the 6Mb plan dissapeared! Trying some other home addresses they would only offer 3Mb!!!! That's PATHETIC, especially compared to what Comcast offers (Now with Docsis 3 in our area we can get 50Mb!)...

Back on the subject of caps.... What if we don't agree to their change in the TOS? Does that mean we can keep our unlimited bandwidth, or will they drop us as a customer? I fully plan on sending a letter back saying that I don't agree to their new TOS, and if they want to drop me then it's them that will be terminating my contract and I do not expect to see any crazy early termination fees...

46 of 177 (1,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:10:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

The 'tool' is useless. The data it has for last month shows I used much more than my own meter and I'm on a single machine with no wireless activity. In addition to 'over metering' usage, the information updates more than 4 days later and apparently is collected only weekly UNTIL you go over the amount; you're already screwed at that point. In the very least, the users need ACCURATE data collected and displayed in REAL TIME, but this is not the case. This is certainly a reason to call and move down a tier for speed; what's the point of paying more money for more speed you can't use without a penalty.

47 of 177 (1,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:03:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know if this includes Bellsouth users? I know AT&T owns Bellsouth, but I can only pray that they're operated separately.

48 of 177 (1,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 3:23:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, it includes former Bellsouth customers.  Bellsouth is gone, it's all AT&T now.

49 of 177 (1,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 6:37:47 AM
(0)
Voyager

This is awful I stream all kinds of games using ESPN3 that comes with getting Uverse now I will have to count how much bandwidth me watching a game is going to eat up every weekend?  Att is just leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth on all fronts now. 

50 of 177 (1,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:19:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by elmoizme on Mar 24, 2011 at 1:54:26 AM

I'll be looking into Sonic.net here in the Bay Area if AT&T decides to implement the cap. Sonic seems to be doing good things around here with Google while keeping prices competitive. Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/business/06digi.html?_r=1&src=busln

And CEO of Sonic responds to AT&T's cap:

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/03/23/drilling-through-the-caps/

And interesting interview:

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/02/22/triangulation/

[ Edited ]
51 of 177 (2,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:42:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

If AT&T puts a cap on my service I will go somewhere else like bright house .I say no to the cap. I went about 2 months of outage.and didn't get credit.Say no to the cap. Fire AT&TSmiley Mad

52 of 177 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 2:14:19 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by deltona2781 on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:15:49 PM

I have and I don't like the new terms at all. I will drop. I have dropped my cell service and land-line so I guess the internet will be next. Like everyone else I just started to get netflex .I called the cable co. which is BrightHouse to get a price.Told them when AT&T STARTED THE CAP I WILL BE CALLING THEM BACK TO INSTALL.THEN I WILL FIRE at&t.IT WILL COST ME ALITTLE MORE, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT JUST TO SAY NO TO AT&T.iREPLACED ATT CELL WITH STRAIGHT TALK AND I ALSO GOT MAGIC JACK ................     lOVE IT.

[ Edited ]
53 of 177 (1,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 4:01:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I will cancel when they implement this cap on bandwidth usage, this is outrageous!  Me and my wife use the internet daily and we are heavy internet users we watch a lot of tv episodes online, play a lot of video games, and watch a lot of my HD movies through Netflix, I also upload a lot of files to our website every month, and do a lot of debugging.  I used to think AT&T's U-Verse DSL service was the best around but all that has changed now.  Very, very disappointed.

I used to have U-Verse TV but canceled due to their high prices and decided to go with netflix and online instead.  I would not be surprisedif the next thing they put a cap on is how many hours of Uverse-TV people can watch. Ex: 150hrs/month 120 channels for $60/month, add 50 hrs more for $20 more.....  I can see that coming.

54 of 177 (1,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 5:43:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T sent me a link to their new terms of service indicating the cap on data transfers.  I plan to drop them as my Internet, telephone and mobile service provider ASAP. I never wanted to be an AT&T customer to begin with, but they bought up my former providers.

55 of 177 (1,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 8:47:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Let's just say if the cap it, I'm out too. 30usd laggy internet. Drips during prime time (5pm~10pm). High ping. Techs don't know what is wrong with it. Etc.

56 of 177 (1,924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 3:01:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Is Sonic DSL available in the Sacramento area, or just the Bay Area?

57 of 177 (1,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 9:33:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am dropping my service as well, as soon as I can get set up with CDE Lightband in my area. I have unbearably slow speeds from about 4pm-11pm daily, have internet disconnects, and now a cap. I had been holding out for U-Verse, figuring new lines would help with some of the former issues and that I'd be able to switch to the tv service as well. However, now with the caps...forget about it.

I can get unlimited 10Meg upload and download speeds for $34.95 a month. This means I can continue to move forward with technology and not be stifled at usage limits. We have multiple computers and console games and obviously, multiple users in the home.

I am aggravated enough at this point to not only cancel my home phone and internet service, but my wireless service as well.

58 of 177 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 5:04:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

The answer to the problem is not to bail and go elsewhere, the answer is to stand your ground and fight. AT&T sold more DSL accounts than their network can handle. Guess what? They're still selling them to anyone willing to pay!!!!!!! Even when their network is known to be overloaded, AT&T will sign you up for a new DSL account without batting an eye. Then they start limiting how much you can use because they dont have the bandwidth to provide all those NEW ACCOUNTS THEY"RE STILL SIGNING UP EVERY DAY!!!!!

The FCC are the only ones that can remedy this issue. Don't bail and end up with the same thing eventually happening elsewhere. File a complaint with the FCC and make AT&T provide you with what you are paying for. They can't just change the rules to suit them right in the middle of the game. There are laws and regulations against this type of treatment towards consumers. Make your Gov do their job, and dont let AT&T trample all over your rights!

If AT&T has $39 billion to spend buying out a competitor, then they have $39 billion to instead spend to fix what they already have, and they should be forced to do so instead of screwing the consumer while they keep loading their pockets without having to provide what they offer.

59 of 177 (1,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 11:08:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

First off, let me say I really hope someone in the AT&T organization actually reads these forums. 

Secondly, I happen to live in an area where AT&T is my ONLY internet option, unless, of course, I go with a satellite hook-up, not a very good solution.  I'm currently in the military, been in Iraq for 11 months now, I'll be home next month.  I need to ask, are you kidding me?  You seriously want to cap my internet usage?  I got the email today.  Sorry to say, but No SIR! 

When I get home I'm building a new computer, my little present to myself for a year here.  What do you think I'm going to use it for?? Mostly the internet!  I watch netflix, I like youtube, I browse tech forums, and occasionally I like to play a game or 2.  Not a "power user", but I do spend some time on the internet.  I have older children that play games, my wife is enrolled in an online school.  EVERYTHING IS ONLINE!   This is the year 2011 for pete's sake! 

Capping internet usage these days is like rationing gas...telling me I can only drive so many miles a month.  Are you kidding?  Obviously you are.  What's the point of internet service in 2011 if you can't take advantage of EVERYTHING on it?  I've put up with junk service for a long time, and now you're going to make it worse. 

I think you should maybe quit blaming "power users" for your problems, and fix your system.  Last time I checked, the US is a free country.  I should know, I've spent over half my life making sure it is.  Unlimited internet is something we should be entitled to, especially in our high tech society.  I've spent the last year on the worst connections possible, and was really looking forward to movies when I want them, building and updating my system, watching HULU, and maybe getting an internet TV.  Can't do that now...why?  Because some company is telling me I can only use 150GB a month.  You're "average" user today isn't the guys that check email and leave.  It's the younger generation, where they do everything online. 

No Sir, this is not ok with me.  I do not agree with the User Agreement in it's new form.  Yeah I get it, I don't agree, I won't have internet service.  Well, you know what, that isn't acceptable, either.  I propose you find a new solution that everyone can live with. I'll be home this time next month, and plan on using A LOT of my UNLIMITED service. 

60 of 177 (1,764 Views)