AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Tutor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

deltona2781 wrote:

Smiley MadBefore May, I will drop AT&T.And go cable.Enough is enough.I have already gave up my landline and wireless I went with Magic-Jack and StreightTalk. These services are better than AT&T.at lease they don't  cheat you.they are up & up.This is a fare well letter to AT&T. AT&T I will fire you.You are not good for me. I am going to Road-runner.

to see what happens when companies are allowed to start capping,one only has to look at the mess canada is in

it's a downward spiral out of control.

the answer isnt just leaving AT&T, but contact your state rep,senator and the fcc and bbb,

let them know how you feel about these caps.

it's time for our elected officals to start working for the people not the overly greedy monopolies

Message 76 of 177 (2,117 Views)
Tutor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

The best part of this crap is that all the regular DSL customers get the same amount of bandwidth. Why should someone on a 768k plan get the same GB's as someone on a 6 mpbs plan? It's MUCH easier to go through 150 GB's at 6 mpbs than at 768k! Or that U-Verse customers get an extra 100 GB's.

The good news is if everyone leaves ATT for cable, then maybe my internet speeds will go up to what they used to be!

Message 77 of 177 (2,087 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

no your speed wont go up, check the new tos if you have lets say a 3mbs connection you can 

get anywhere from 1.56mbs to 3.0mbs and still be within limits so around half of what you pay for.

and the reason behind the caps isnt the 2% of users they claim.

the reason is very simple in theyre infinite wisdom AT&T sold service and continue to knowing full well

they didnt have the capabilities to handle in hopes no one would use the bandwith they pay for.

in the past that wasnt a problem but now more and more people use theyre connection for more than just

email and web browsing.

here lies the bigger problem,AT&T isnt making an effort to increase theyre capacity but continue to add

customers. so these caps are just the start they will continue to get smaller,as AT&T is betting on

wireless broadband being the norm

Message 78 of 177 (2,082 Views)
Contributor

Are you kidding me, ATT? Got the email and skimmed over it on 3/27. Saw that there was now different tiers, but had no idea they were capping internet usage. The title in the email should have been "ATT to cap internet usage", now that would have gotten my attention! I actually found out about this on another forum, and not believing it, I researched it and found out it's true. It's not enough that these are hard times for many people, but Att is kicking you in the stomach while down! I went to the usage tool and got the message that they can't track internet usage on all customers, bla bla blah...Really???. Then how are you going to be able to impose the overage fees you plan to impose?. In our household we stream a lot through Netflix, do online gaming and watch you tube videos. I am guessing we will pass the allotted usage, and will be charged overages. I'm not going to stick around to find out. I hope ATT has prepared themselves for customers to leave en masses, because that they will. I'm sure  a lot of customers just skimmed the e mail as I did, and ATT plans to catch them off guard. Shame on you ATT, you have just lost a long time internet and voice customer! Hear me..Step into my office, YOU'RE FIRED!. PS, I hope your proposed merger with T Mobile bites the dust.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled soon to be EX customer...Man Mad

Message 79 of 177 (2,059 Views)
Teacher

I'm sorry, I did not have time to go through all the posts, but I thought I had seen a link somewhere that explains how much you'll supposedly still be able to do even with the caps (x number of song downloads, etc.)?

Message 80 of 177 (1,847 Views)
Contributor

I did the math. 

Any increase in DSL service = zero for AT&T

I like watching movies on Netflix and listening to music on YouTube.  Living in a shared environment, I'm not the only one who enjoys these simple pleasures.  I won't let AT&T penalize my recreational choices.

Message 81 of 177 (2,499 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

I, also, will be looking for an alternative to AT&T for both internet and cell phone. Goodbye, AT&T.

In addition, if I WASN'T meeting the cap before, I will be now. (I'm thinking daily downloads of Linux distributions and other such things. Perhaps I'll try every flavor of Linux available (including versions), to see which one I like the best.)

I'm not certain that people replying to a thread will hammer home the anger that AT&T has caused many of it's customers. Perhaps each person should start a new thread letting AT&T know his or her feelings.

Message 82 of 177 (2,406 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am totally against the capping of bandwidth. If AT&T does not have the network to handle the bandwidth which they sale they need to upgrade their network. AT&T is supposed to be a leader in technology, however, they seem to be lagging behind.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Spam Free].

Message 83 of 177 (2,242 Views)
Contributor

150 gb per month is not enough.

Comcast is 250gb for the same price and faster speed too.

I cant get Uverse here only DSL.

I am going back to cable.

Message 84 of 177 (2,199 Views)
Contributor

At this point I pay a ridiculous amount of money every month for my 2 wireless accounts and the u-verse which is landline, internet and tv bundled, through at&t. I have been a customer since 2006 and you would think that would count for something. I see page after page of customers mad about this new crap they are pulling yet are they doing anything about it, no. It's all about money and we are nothing but a number to them. I called to disscuss this issue with someone who of course could actually do anything about it but told me to be sure to take the survey that I would be called with and at the end I should record any other comments I had. I wasted my time taking it and there was no option at the end to leave any further comments. It's not even like I have fabulous service to begin with and now you want to take it and make it even worse? This is what I'm hearing from you at&t "Thank you so much for being such a long time loyal customer and to show how much you mean to us we are now going to treat you even worse and give you crappier service." Well as much as I appreciate that I'm gonna have to say, no thanks, since being a loyal customer doesn't mean jack to you guys I'll just cancel my u-verse account and go to the nearest cable company. And then once the wireless contract is up we'll be kissing that good-bye as well. Unfortunatly even if every person that said they are going to canel actually did it still wouldn't make a difference, they are big business and don't care about the little people that helped make them what they are.

Message 85 of 177 (2,048 Views)
Teacher

If the cap 'officially' starts on 05/02, but my billing cycle (as indicated on that inaccurate 'myusage' site) is 04/17 - 05/18, does this mean that my bandwith meter is ALREADY running?

Message 86 of 177 (2,040 Views)
Tutor

I have this question as well. Mine is running from 15-16. It would be smarter to have the meter count from the first of the month to the end. The meter needs to show daily totals in a real time basis as well; this 4 days of may or maybe not counted data usage is useless.

Message 87 of 177 (2,035 Views)
Voyager

howdy y'all,

"we're at&t. we don't _have_ to care."

or, as lily tomlin's "ernestine" used to put it ...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76aphonecompany.phtml

didn't we have at& broken up for pretty much this very same behavior?

take care,

lee

Message 88 of 177 (1,870 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Good post  Lee_Dailey,

I cant help but wonder what Alexander would feel about all this.

AT&T wrote the book on how to screw people and the telephone had barely advanced from inception only a few years before the pen started spreading ink. I find it pretty amazing that anyone in 1907 was that intelligent to already know exactly how to screw people (starting with antitrust in the 19 00's) with the telephone to generate max profits for the next 104 years and beyond.

I guess many corporations got their hands on AT&T's book through the years, because that seems to be the code of honor amongst the profit mongers.

I actually "dont care" how many gazillion dollars AT&T makes in profits, I just plain and simply want to receive what I pay for but I dont think the Federal Gov understands that anymore then AT&T does.

Why did business take the model of "screw for profit" while having to dump billions, when simple great service would probably double those profits [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I guess screwing people around just makes the job a heck of a lot more fun and keeps things from getting into boredom.

Message 89 of 177 (1,849 Views)
Contributor

I have been a loyal AT&T (formerly bellsouth in my area) customer since around 1995 starting in chattanooga and now in augusta ga both for my home phone, long distance and internet (first dialup and later DSL as soon as it came out in my area) and even though comcast has made me better offers in both price and far better speed over the years I have stuck with AT&T largely because of the no caps but if they do this I will switch and cancel all my AT&T accounts.

Furthermore I will also be writing my senator and congressman to oppose  the AT&T /T-mobile merger because of this.

Message 90 of 177 (1,766 Views)