AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Contributor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

So how do you find out your current usage.  when I looked it up on my account, it reads I don't have usage because it's unlimited.  But I work from home and transcribe audio and video which I download from my clients and with AT&T imposing a cap I would like to see what my current usage is.   They need to provide tools for people to see if and how it will affect them.    Luckily the internet company I used to use left all the wiring intact as I said I may consider using them in the future... the future may be here!

Message 31 of 177 (2,394 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

[ Edited ]

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I've already turned your services into the FCC, contacted my congressmen and a lot more. You want me to respect you? Then start earning it!

Message 32 of 177 (2,375 Views)
Teacher

If you haven't heard, AT&T is buying T-Mobil.  I wonder if adding caps was AT&T's way of squeezing more money out of their wired broadband service in order to help defray the costs of the T-Mobil acquisition.  At any rate, once that merger goes through, we'll only have three national carriers - AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.  Perhaps Sprint will choose to become the discount carrier that T-Mobil is now.  Do they have unlimited data plans?  I imagine T-Mobil's will be disappearing.  I wonder if the FCC would actually allow AT&T to buy T-Mobil and Verizon to buy Sprint (if they were even interested in such a move).  Fewer carriers means more stagnation, less innovation, and higher prices.  Whoopee.  At any rate, Sprint seems pretty screwed by this move, especially since they were reportedly in talks to buy T-Mobil.  

Message 33 of 177 (2,337 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those of you who are contacting the FCC, here is a little bit of information that might be helpful.  I did live chat with an AT&T agent the other day and AT&T is trying to pass the "Fair Access Policy" (which is what bandwidth capping is called) off as a law implemented by the FCC.

Message 34 of 177 (2,282 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I filed a FCC complaint against AT&T also...hope others join in and do the same.

Message 35 of 177 (2,266 Views)
Mentor

Don't forget the BBB. Filing a complaint with the BBB has helped some people.

Message 36 of 177 (2,247 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is ridiculous! My service just keeps taking hits from ATT.  I've been a customer for over 13 years with DSL and every other year the service just gets worse.  They take away from the packages each time, lower the bandwidth and at terms like UP TO 6.1 MBS.  The upstream is a joke.  With all of their new customers that are "clogging" their net you'd think they'd spend some money upgrading their infrastructure to accommodate what they are selling.  Further more the CAP should have been highlighted in the E-MAIL not hidden on some secondary web page.   Why wouldn't I change over to camcast now?  Sure they have a cap, but better speeds up and down come with that cap, at the same price.  ATT continues to disappoint me.  Rather than looking forwards to the future seeing people are going to be streaming HDTV and HD MOVIES and being ready to accommodate the progress, att trys to stifle it and hinder it.  What a joke.  150 gb cap. Lets see if i use the online world of war-craft installer and so does my girlfriend to install clean copies of a game we own and pay for legally, that's going to use over 60% of the cap for the month.  Or about 21 HD MOVIES from netflix.  So you cant even watch a movie every night under the 45 dollar package I pay for. Let alone watch UTUBES mail and do the CAMERA STREAMING CHAT I do all day everyday.  So basically ATT is just not for me anymore.  Greedy {word filter evasion}

Message 37 of 177 (2,238 Views)
Teacher

Tell me about it.......it's a lot more than 2% AT&T claim will only be affected.....a lot of people play wow and that sucks up alot of bandwidth just installing alone.

Message 38 of 177 (2,230 Views)
Contributor

the cap doesnt start untill may.  I spoke with an ATT rep and she said there would likely be a webpage what has your stats on it and they would email you when you got close to the cap. But they havent told their service resp anything about the change yet.  How stupid is that, call the company to get info and the people that are supposed to be there to help you and know have been left in the dar. 

Message 39 of 177 (2,223 Views)
Contributor

ATT is still adverting the U verse service as unlimited even thogh in less than 50 days it wont be.  That cant be legal.

Message 40 of 177 (2,176 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

It is legal until AT&T notifies everyone about changes to its terms of service.  I believe they have 30 days, IIRC.  From what I have read at various places, the letters are already going out.  I haven't received mine yet, though.

Message 41 of 177 (2,430 Views)
Contributor

If the deal goes through the way it is I will be dropping my internet, and phone service. This is what happens when there is almost no competion out there. I've just signed up with netflix online and I love it. However I will drop that and just go back to renting the dvd's through the mail.

I was going to sign up for cell phone service but now I am not going to do that either. This move will spell bad news for the consumer and I hope that it is not approved.

Message 42 of 177 (2,418 Views)
Teacher

Until the cap is inevitably enacted, I invite AT&T DSL subscribers to take full advantage of the handy new usage monitoring tool! During our last 'unlimited' month, EVERY account should try to get as close to the 150 gig limit as possible (practice makes perfect).

I'm sure they'll have more than enough bandwith to accommodate this (provided that the pesky 2% manages to keep it in check).

Message 43 of 177 (2,374 Views)
Contributor

I wonder when AT&T actually plans to notify all its customers.  I haven't received an email from them nor did I get any kind of notice in my bill, which arrived today.

Message 44 of 177 (2,345 Views)
Teacher

Heres the deal. AT&T knowingly oversold their DSL network and is now supposedly congested. AT&T cannot/will not provide advertised speeds but are still charging the same full rates for DSL service. Now they intend to put a monthly cap on DSL users so as to "ease congestion". Thing is, you can still use all the bandwidth you want, it will just cost you more. How does this "ease congestion"? Will/does AT&T throttle users? Most likely. Will AT&T cut your speeds to zilch if you go over the cap? Maybe. Then in the next breath, AT&T announces its intended buyout of the fourth largest wireless carrier for a cool 39 billion. They can spend 39 billion to get rid of competition, but they cant spend 39 billion to fix their supposed ailing network so DSL customers can get what they actually pay for. This is purely a profit move, not a fix for DSL customers. The buyout is proof of that.

EVERYONE file complaints with the BBB and FCC!!!!  It only takes a few minutes of your time.

Message 45 of 177 (2,336 Views)