AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Expert

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

If Uverse Internet is available in your area, there is currently no capping.

You might look into getting Interent for Business as I don't think it is capped either.

It's not just ATT doing capping, cable has been doing it for years. Smiley Sad

capshurtpeople wrote:
a few months back I also got an email from att threatening if I go over again i'll get charged more, now every month I'm so stressed out if i go over the limit I actually had a heat attack, now I have just canceled all my netfilx, amazon video and other bandwidth accounts I don't even watch youtube videos anymore, I have also disabled all flash on websites..... WE SHOULDN"T HAVE TO DO THIS. my internet experience has became nil since their policy took effect, I deal with a lot of uncompressed data huge database text files that can download very fast but it can also fill your data cap really fast so it also hurts my business. I'm currently looking for another isp but in small towns there isn't much options. It's a shameless act on att's part.

Message 166 of 177 (4,321 Views)
Coach

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

I just want to say  that I agree I am tired of paying for internet that keeps adding up more money then was expecting to pay 

each month for a poor quality service in addition to paying  every month for hulu service and a game service , as soon as I find a better service  I plan on dropping AT&T...... Ive done it before and was trying to give AT&T a second chance  shame on me for thinking that they have gotton better, I also find it HARD to believe that my neighbor 2 doors away can get Uverse BUT

I CAN'T and  have to settle for direct tv which also sucks!!!!.

Message 167 of 177 (4,301 Views)
Expert

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance regarding Uverse! Smiley Wink

karbear78 wrote:

I just want to say  that I agree I am tired of paying for internet that keeps adding up more money then was expecting to pay 

each month for a poor quality service in addition to paying  every month for hulu service and a game service , as soon as I find a better service  I plan on dropping AT&T...... Ive done it before and was trying to give AT&T a second chance  shame on me for thinking that they have gotton better, I also find it HARD to believe that my neighbor 2 doors away can get Uverse BUT

I CAN'T and  have to settle for direct tv which also sucks!!!!.

Message 168 of 177 (4,177 Views)
Teacher

If that happens, I will change to Charter real quick

Message 169 of 177 (4,156 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I feel all of your pain. I am an AT&T Uverse phone and Internet customer only. I have no TV service to slow down my internet. I pay for 18 Mbps, but seldom get better than 15, and usually get about 12. 

What tires me the most is that they tell me that the offer is "up to 18 Mbps". I agree, and as a broadbrand engineer, I understand the need. The issue for me is that when I am getting 4 to 6 Mbps on average, that is not "up to" in my book. 15 to 17 is up to. 12 is pathetic, and 4 to 6 is robbery. 

I have asked for service on this, and they discovered (after 4 to 6 calls to check MY equipment) finally found a problem in the lines. BUT THEY HAVE NOT FIXED IT!

So I can live with caps, I seldom hit their cap. 250 GB is failry reasonable, and while I could use it up with streaming movies, I rearly do and limit my streaming movies from time. I can live with occasional throttling for netwrok reliability (key word occasional), but bad equipment and poor service is not an excuse for bad bandwidth.

So my complaint is that AT&T is not supplying me the level of customer service I expect. Because they cannot give me that speed they offer, I should get a discount. I do not. Because they cannot offer me the service level I pay for, I should be allowed out of my contract. I am not. 

This simply means I will leave AT&T for Comcast for phone and internet when my term is up. Sadly, AT&T's poor customer service is not working for me.

Message 170 of 177 (4,156 Views)
DH1
Contributor

Don't ever attempt to be a work at home person with AT&T residential service. Theire system WILL throttle you back if it thinks you are using too much bandwidth. I heard that directly from an AT&T business class sales consultant!!!!

Message 171 of 177 (3,929 Views)
Expert

That's why there's Business HSI. Smiley Wink I don't think they cap or throttle, IIRC?

I'm sure there are many using Residential for their business, adding to the situation with capping. Smiley Sad
Message 172 of 177 (3,926 Views)

I work all day so not using bandwidth other than evening - I download VERY little -primary looking at facebook and email - yet every night I sit here waiting for my email to be delivered....as much as a pain in the rear changing vendors that may be the only alternative to this situation.

Message 173 of 177 (3,922 Views)
Contributor

I agree AT&T should be broken up but how can that happen when the politicians are in their pocket? When elected officials are more concerned about lobbyists than they are about the citizens who elected them, we no longer are living in a democracy.

Message 174 of 177 (2,409 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I HOPE ALL THE ATT CUSTOMERS OUT THERE DO WHAT THEY SAY AND SEND ATT A WAKE UP CALL, BOYCOTT ATT, DONT LET THEM PUSH US AROUND. IT IS NOT FAIR. I SAY WE START A COAILITION [Edited to comply with Guidelines], THIS IS RIDICULOUS ATT GET YOUR MONEY HUNGRY HEADS OUT YOUR [word filter avoidance]

Message 175 of 177 (2,181 Views)
Voyager

i have contacted att customer service about this and they had a customer service agent call me to explain the policy he explained it all very well.. i informed him of my policy. and it go's like this the first time i actually see a additional charge for extra gigs on my bill i am going to cancel my service cancel my phone cancel my wireless everything. i am even going to sell the shares of stock my wife inherited. the whole idea blows chunks they have spent the last few years adding tv and movies and urging us to watch them. i signed up with hulu and netflix and cancelled my cable tv i feel like i was set up like a bowling pin.. well like i said no matter what the new company policy is. i got my policy and it is quits for me the first time they bill me for this new charge for more gigs. it's just another bogus cash grab by a company that still thinks it's good old ma bell and the only game in town. i been paying my monthly bill with these guy's for over thirty five years and a few years back when i signed up for internet service the sales pitch for their new dsl service included the statement unlimited and that's the way i want it to remain. bottom line just bill me once and poof i am gone.

Message 176 of 177 (1,432 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

grandwazoo: I feel the exact same way. Between Uverse, phone, wireless service, and business phone, we spend at leats $450 a month with AT&T. BUT, and they know this: Where are you going to go?

There are only a hnadfull of options here: Uverse is one. DSL is another, but too slow and from the same company. I can switch to Comcast, but they also have a 250 GB limit, AND in my area, they are hijacking DNS traffic so my VPN fails. There is satellite, but too slow and had limits too.

So, where else do I go?  Where do you plan to go? No disrespect, I am seriously curious. 

Thanks

Message 177 of 177 (1,423 Views)