AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

robl45 wrote:

mine still tells me usage not available and they will notify me if I go over, is that even legal?  i want to know what the heck my usage is, not to mention when I signed up I was told its unlimited.  but is comcast any better since they have 250gb cap too?  these are my two choices.

If you click on the "Analyze Past Usage" link, if will give you info upto the last tally date. Mine is only 9 days old.

Actually the Comcast cap is better as AT&T DSL users only get 150GB. Comcast has better speeds at lower prices as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 136 of 177 (1,552 Views)
Mentor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

i don't remember seeing that, where would that be?  I have uverse, would I see that?  I do get 250gigs I guess, same as comcast it seems, unless comcast isn't charging if you go over, either way, this is rediculous,  once my kids get slightly older, we will easily breach this cap.

Message 137 of 177 (1,548 Views)

robl45 wrote:

i don't remember seeing that, where would that be?  I have uverse, would I see that?  I do get 250gigs I guess, same as comcast it seems, unless comcast isn't charging if you go over, either way, this is rediculous,  once my kids get slightly older, we will easily breach this cap.

Sorry, I thought you were a DSL customer. Uverse customers are still outa luck for usage stats as far as I know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 138 of 177 (1,544 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Sir or Madam,
It was very upsetting to learn that you plan to limit DSL home internet usage to 150GB per month. I received an email stating that I was very close to that limit recently. I don't see how limiting something that was always without a limit is not equivalent to, in some way, a bait and switch. I'm taking the time to write you to formally ask you to reconsider this practice. I realize that I have several options when it comes to internet providers but I have been a loyal ATT customer for some time now - going on 8 years for ATT Wireless. My current internet usage will put me over that cap very quickly so I will have no choice but to seek another Internet provider in the upcoming months. I believe in loyalty and integrity and because of this I will not only switch home Internet providers but also leave ATT Wireless for a new carrier. I feel I should be very clear of my intentions should this cap commence forward. Thank you for your valuable time.

Chris {Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 139 of 177 (1,441 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

[ Edited ]

they did it for one simple reason, they could get away with it, the whole dsl/cable thing is one big monopoly, hugely anticompetitive and if you live in many places that have a choice of uverse or comcast, you have no choice but to live with the cap.  I have uverse, 250gig cap, comcast also has the same cap and those are the only two choices for internet.  AT&T did it because comcast did it.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].They will keep doing it.  when I signed up for uverse, it was unlimited and it should stay that way for people that were already signed up.

Message 140 of 177 (1,440 Views)
Contributor

Has AT&T lost so many customers that they have to ambush the rest if their loyal customers to meet the top dog's paychecks? Goodby AT&T

Message 141 of 177 (1,784 Views)
Contributor

This is the first I have heard of this, could someone explain to me where to find notice of these charges.  I haven't noticed any additional charges on my DSL statements and I know we exceed the 150GB.   

Message 142 of 177 (1,697 Views)
Contributor

I have complained to the FCC and the BBB.  This is a breach of contract.  Unlimited access is now limited and the contract should read as such.

Message 143 of 177 (1,608 Views)
Expert

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so it is unlikely you'll get a direct response from ATT on this forum.

goconfigure73 wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,
It was very upsetting to learn that you plan to limit DSL home internet usage to 150GB per month. I received an email stating that I was very close to that limit recently. I don't see how limiting something that was always without a limit is not equivalent to, in some way, a bait and switch. I'm taking the time to write you to formally ask you to reconsider this practice. I realize that I have several options when it comes to internet providers but I have been a loyal ATT customer for some time now - going on 8 years for ATT Wireless. My current internet usage will put me over that cap very quickly so I will have no choice but to seek another Internet provider in the upcoming months. I believe in loyalty and integrity and because of this I will not only switch home Internet providers but also leave ATT Wireless for a new carrier. I feel I should be very clear of my intentions should this cap commence forward. Thank you for your valuable time.

Chris

Message 144 of 177 (1,552 Views)
Voyager

Monthly Data caps

How many here are concerned with AT&T (and Comcast for that matter) monthly data caps? I have numerous concerns but I just want to start the discussion. Maybe AT&T could listen to our concerns.
Message 145 of 177 (1,513 Views)
Voyager

A better place for us to complain: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints It will only take you 5 minutes.
Message 146 of 177 (1,514 Views)
Contributor

I have been with at&t for over 5 years now phone service and dsl service the data cap is B*,I was told everbody has a data cap on there service by at&t ,I think it is time to get new service with somebody else ,my wife is disabled and watches netflix

all the time this is B* remove the data cap my average is aleast 500 GB per month.Man Mad

Message 147 of 177 (1,466 Views)
Expert

ATTs Uverse (not available in all areas) has not turned on the meter yet, but they say it will be capped like DSL.

Some have said capping is because they don't want competition with their own on-demand services.  From what I've read, many people are cutting out their TV service and using the Internet for all of their entertainment.

Let us know if you find a provider who IS NOT capping; I think they're all doing that. Smiley Sad

Message 148 of 177 (1,464 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not founded any in I Austin besides ATT who is doing it, this is {word filter evasion} going to file a compliant with FCC again

Message 149 of 177 (1,458 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I TOO have been hit with these bogus fee's.

First of all Netflix users, your joking right? Netflix is the biggest scam on the the net!  AS a customer of Netflix you only {please keep it courteous} for using the service(scam) in the first place. Anything that is on netflix is freely available on the net. ahh duh, There is no need to pay for your own short comings. I could end child starvation with the money you waste! Actually on second thought you should be charged for what the rest of us get for free. 

Now as far as the rest of us . The whole reason I have 6.0 is because 100% of my nightly TV programming is via the net. As well as owning 20+ websites that need to be maintained daily. Then there is online gaming, and downloads, etc.,etc. My children are limited to about 150 gigs a week. Us grown ups require a lot more!

I only have att's sporadic service because I have no other choice in my area. However I have set up an appointment with the local cable provider to offer them my services for free if they extend there cable service to my area.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Sincerely,

2%er

PS: SNAP! Wife just informed me that we have sat net in our area. naa, naa, naa naa, hey hey goodbye...

Message 150 of 177 (1,415 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support