AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Tutor

Re: If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

Message 121 of 177 (2,001 Views)
Contributor

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

The lowest tier is the best choice now, even downloading continuously on that at the maximum speed will hit the 150gb cap (for non uverse users)

Message 122 of 177 (1,961 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

ok got my bill in!!! omg didnt go near 100mb and got charged this is crazy stuff 

Message 123 of 177 (1,940 Views)
Teacher

i dont even download movies or games and get charged!!! under 100 mb

Message 124 of 177 (1,939 Views)
Tutor

Message 125 of 177 (1,787 Views)
Tutor

The head game you guys are playing is pathetic. 20 gigs above what I'm actually using?

Message 126 of 177 (1,769 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the cap AT&T. Time to switch to Verizon or Time Warner guys.

Message 127 of 177 (1,631 Views)
Highlighted

Just got ATT dsl, heck I can't even get below 300ms ping, usually worse.

After reading this and poor dsl speeds regardless of techs, I'm cancelling mine Monday, back to TW.

Message 128 of 177 (1,557 Views)
Teacher

What i find funny is that the graph does not give any actual information. You just don't know whats behind the numbers. How did the amount of bytes occur.

I originally subscriped to Elite DSL and at that time there was no cap. Now it got changed and i don't have a choice.

What are 150 GB in todays world? Not that much.
I watch a lot of netflix and even ATT embraces downloading, email, tv shows etc... but how good is that if you have to think how much that movie translates in gb usage.

Sadly, all the ISP's are in the boad with that and you as a consumer don't have a choice to pick another ISP. It doesn't even mention it if you sign up for the service. At leat i haven't seen it as i tried to upgrade to Uverse. Can't do it right now though.

What can you do, if anything at all. Are there any other providers in Los Angeles?

Message 129 of 177 (1,545 Views)
Contributor

Yeah, I got informed and then decided to cancel and already have for awhile.  I switched to Cox and its actually faster and better and yes does have a cap, but does not charge if you go over.. I did this a few months ago and did actually go over the cap once of 200 gb and called them and they told me no charge as long as I am not going crazy all the time and it varies they won't bother me and that was what I didnt' like the most about at&t all of a sudden getting more of a bill without me in control.

I actually got rid of all at&t and switched to sprint cell all unlimited rather than not unlmited data for iphone and cox internet and tv and its a better deal and don't have to worry about being charged from my kids being online or watching you tube and netflix over the cap.

saved over $40 a month after leaving att cell to sprint, and leaving att internet to cox and leaving uverse tv to cox!!!

Message 130 of 177 (1,313 Views)
Teacher

if this does indeed happen, I'm sure 60-80% of at&t will loose their customers simply because of the amount of family members that uses the internet service 15-20 hours a day... Whenever its networked and they are all on yeah.. Not to forget its also a requirement around where I live for school systems...

It's gonna be another netflix disaster but with At&t if this does happen. What of the people forced into it because thats the only way for internet where they live? Such as Rural areas who is only able to watch stuff from the internet and cannot afford satellite/ cannot get cable due to out of service range etc..?

Not to forget those people who require constant contact with those who are in the military for video calls or uses the internet to find fixes to problems At&t should be aware of / know how to fix/resolve? ( I say should because it seems the customers are the ones actually informing them quite often of problems they do not see in which they should!)

Anyways... If this does happen, bye bye at&t.. no really... the whole company will go under... so think before you act... we don't want this to turn into another netflix disaster now do we?

Just my opinion if the original post is true...

Message 131 of 177 (1,734 Views)
Contributor

ATT just lost my longtime service to Comcast

I have been an ATT customer for many years and I have always loved ATT for their great service. However, the past year all of that has changed when they became excessively money hungry.Their bandwidth cap is absurd and just made them lose another customer.

"\We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges. Importantly, we are not reducing the speeds, terminating service or limiting available data like some others in the industry"

First of all, I never got a notification of the bandwidth cap when it was instituted. This morning I got an email at 11:54am telling me I am at 90% of my bandwidth usage for the month. At 11:59am, a mere 5 minutes later, I got a second email telling me I exceeded the bandwidth limit. It is not physically possible for me to have used 15 GB in a 5 minute period. What is the point of a warning email if by the time I am warned, it is already too late? I also expected more from ATT. I chose ATT over other providers because I want the best service, not service that is not even on par with its competitors. I don't care that others in the industry have reduced speeds or limited data, that is why I don't have the service of the other providers. A bandwidth cap of only 150 GB is ridiculous to me. It is clearly an attack on subscribers who love to watch TV streamed through the internet. Uverse customers get a 250 GB cap only because they are paying ATT for TV services! The 150 GB cap is clearly an attack on non-Uverse subscribers only looking to have internet services from ATT without the TV services as well.

I have stood by ATT for a long time because of what used to be superb service, however that has declined to being sub-par in comparisson to its competitors, and I will be gladly canceling my service and switching to Comcast.

Message 132 of 177 (1,661 Views)
Contributor

They,AT&T  like the government are too big, they can change their end of a contract anytime they seem fit, but you try it they will disconnect you , charge you or whatever they see fit to do, knowing you can't afford to take them to court. When I had DSL hooked up I had UNLIMITED use, now they change the agreement, all I can do is try to find a different ISP and replace my router/gateway.

Message 133 of 177 (1,633 Views)

Ky-Vette wrote:

They,AT&T  like the government are too big, they can change their end of a contract anytime they seem fit, but you try it they will disconnect you , charge you or whatever they see fit to do, knowing you can't afford to take them to court. When I had DSL hooked up I had UNLIMITED use, now they change the agreement, all I can do is try to find a different ISP and replace my router/gateway.

Even if you could afford it, you can't. Check AT&T's  "Terms of Service" which states you forfeit your right to litigation (arbitration only).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 134 of 177 (1,631 Views)
Mentor

mine still tells me usage not available and they will notify me if I go over, is that even legal?  i want to know what the heck my usage is, not to mention when I signed up I was told its unlimited.  but is comcast any better since they have 250gb cap too?  these are my two choices.

Message 135 of 177 (1,564 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.