Helpful Links

AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Teacher

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

lets have a black out day . no one use there net for one day. call ur bbb. write the fcc.

Tags (1)
Message 91 of 177
Teacher

Re: AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a

2 thumbs up for u. stand up for ur internet rights pple. we are human beings, not no bill

Tags (1)
Message 92 of 177
Teacher

u can go to the att site and see ur past history. i looked and its even showing my up loads as 2.5 gb does this cap include uploads?

Tags (1)
Message 93 of 177
Teacher

Smiley Happy you telll them  im proud to stand up and see a real american tell it like it is. you are fighting for our country u dont need this neither does ur family or mine .our flag colors never run and we as att custmers will not run either stand up america.

Tags (1)
Message 94 of 177
Contributor

I find it surprising that the company said "Our approach is based on customers' feedback," said Mark Siegel, spokesman for AT&T." I dont recall being asked for any feedback nor do i know of anyone that has. I think this is a ploy to extort customers with extra fees and penalties. Ive had several run ins with att customer service already regarding fees on my account that were put there by (mistake). I will be put on a 150GB cap i guess...and pray that with all the movies i watch on netflix and the online gaming, i wont go over the cap. If it becomes a problem, I will be canceling my service and go with a company that takes care of its customers. ATT needs to spend more time upgrading its internet infrastructure than worrying about robbing its customers

Message 95 of 177
Tutor

I have heard that there is a "meter" to tell how much I am presently using. I have no idea if 150GB is more or or less than I normally use. Where is this meter?

Tags (1)
Message 97 of 177
Contributor

DSL Caps is more involved that you think!!

At first I really wasn't concerned about the 150 gig cap that ATT has implemented.  If I were I would have already sought another service for our Telephone and DSL.  But tonight I had just paid my bill and decided to check our usage... just to see what is what.  I was suddenly alarmed at the fact that it is the 5th of May and we have already used over 1 Gig.  I couldn't believe that we had used that much. But here is the stink of it all.  If you are a single person and are the only one using the internet, then 150 Gig isn't a big deal at all.  But there are four of us using the net.  Of course it will be more than 150 Gig.  That is absolutely discrimination pure and simple!  ATT is pleased to have and keep you if your an Individual Customer.    But families just use too much bandwidth and they don't want them as customers any longer.  The deal is that a utility company isn't like other businesses.  They are not allowed to discriminate this way.  Now I am angry. It isn't just about the Gig cap any longer. Now it's personal.

Tags (1)
Message 96 of 177
NX1
Tutor

www.MyUsage.att.com  But it doesn't work for everybody.  Which shows how prepared AT&T was for the cap. 

Tags (1)
Message 98 of 177

I have reported them to the FCC and BBB. I also plan on contacting my states attorny office to see if they are violating the any of my consumer rights by renigging on our contract. I signed up for unlimited and I am going to get unlimited.

Tags (1)
Message 99 of 177
NX1
Tutor

Two groups are questioning the reason for cap http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/05/investigate-broadband-caps/
Tags (1)
Message 100 of 177
Tutor

att is verry lucky that i am no paying for their internet or i would of changed company's as soon as i heard about them capping. i don't believe them saying that it will only affect around 2% of the users. its probably more like 30-50% and this allows them to just charge and extra $10. their excuse is pathetic imo as DSL isn't on the same technology as cable where how many people are on dose affect how fast the internet is so it isnt affected by the same congestion problems. if they are having congestion problems then they need to rethink their network structure to alleviate the problem.

Tags (1)
Message 101 of 177
Teacher

@SterlingPC

"I have reported them to the FCC and BBB. I also plan on contacting my states attorny office to see if they are violating the any of my consumer rights by renigging on our contract. I signed up for unlimited and I am going to get unlimited."

Trust me when I say this. I did exactly what SterlingPC did especially with contacting Connecticuts Department of Consumer Protection Agency and ATT was on my phoneline bending over backwards to fix my problems. Don't waste your time with this forum or ATTs customer service.  CT DCP is due for another detailed letter. Make your tax dollars do some work.

Tags (1)
Message 102 of 177
Contributor

Um... I wonder if AT&T realizes that companies like HughsNet already have low customer ratios because of this same cap to their service?

Capping a landline is basically stupid and a begging for people to leave the service. They don't realize that the internet isn't just people downloading files. People use the internet for gaming, telephone service, television, and all sorts of things that actually go far beyond a 20~150 GB quota. And changing a person 1 dollar per GB used over the quota? What the heck man?

Seriously, the average user who's always doing things on the internet and people who have home based businesses like IT technicians download nearly double to quadruple their planned cap rates, and if someone says "why don't you have a business class internet connection"... not all of us IT Technicians actually make enough money to afford a business class DSL service.

I'll be glad when some company starts free DSL services like fastfreedialup did with dial-up internet... or at least companies like Verizon get the ability to market where I live to give us a choice and competition.

Looks like California's Better Business Bureau and out version of the Department of Consumer Protection will get some letters as well.

Tags (1)
Message 103 of 177
Highlighted
Moved:

Tags (2)
Message 104 of 177
Contributor

If you use McAfee. Click on navigation. Then scroll down to traffic monitor. It will show the current data usage on that desktop computer. If you have more than one machine then goto each one and add up the numbers.
Tags (1)
Message 105 of 177
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support