Ask a question

Posted Jun 13, 2013
    6:03:02 PM
    AT&T-Yahoo Email Change Requests
    Edited by FrankBarnard on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:52:33 PM

I've been using the new AT&T Yahoo Mail portal for 2-3 days now. I'm ready to switch back--at least until the bugs are worked out. Please:

-Frames--format the window in frames so that I can click "delete," "move," "forward," etc. at any point in reading an e-mail. Right now if I scroll down a short way the buttons disappear and I have to scroll back to the top of the page to hit delete or move. It is hugely slow and aggravating.

-Drag & drop for attachments is a nice new feature and seems to work well

-Actions seem to take a lot longer in this version of mail than the old one--so much so that I got a message recommending that I temporarily turn off messaging and other features to improve speed. I never use the messaging function and was a little annoyed that I could not permanently turn it off to improve speed. All of the new features automatically restart each time the browser window is re-openned.

-there are a bunch of nuisance tabs across the top of the screen for features I don't use or want. Sorry guys, my calendars are on Google and I'm not planning to switch. So let me make the "calendar" tab go away. Google doesn't force me to look at the Google Calendar when I open a Google window. If I want to use the calendar & contacts, etc., give me the option but don't force them on me. At this point it just adds to a lot of clutter on the screen, slows the app down and it isn't available unless I scroll up anyway.

-Pages--I found myself searching a folder for a mail that had been sent 3 years ago. I used to be able to quickly scroll through all dates to find it. Now I get a limited number of mails on a page and I don't see any way to navigate to a particular date range. I have to look one page at at time. There isn't even a way to skip from page 1 to page 9 or to tell how many pages total there are in a file. It made the process much more time consuming & frustrating.

I use this e-mail to run a small business. The changes have made my life more difficult and there haven't been any changes that I find significantly better than the old system. So until the new one can be improved. How do I switch back to the old system? Phone tech support said they thought there was an option for it but we could not find it on screen.

Update--One more request--how do I add columns to inbox or folder information displays like old system? Specifically, I wanted to search for e-mails from a specific sender to a specific receiver. The folder showed one e-mail address per message but I could not tell if it was the from or to address and I could not find a way to add another column to show "to" or "from."

Update--Yet another--let me drag & drop from my Inbox to my folders--it used to work. It doesn't anymore.

AT&T-Yahoo Email Change Requests

[ Edited ]
    15 replies
    (5) Me too
    (5) Me too
    View all replies
    (15)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 15, 2013 10:49:14 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I understand your concern and it is due to compatibility issue of your browser to the new mail format . Please access your email using alternate browser like Mozilla firefox or Google chrome . Let me know if it works .

Re: AT&T-Yahoo Email Change Requests

2 of 16 (1,360 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 17, 2013 9:13:39 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I don't think this has anything to do with the browser - these features (or lack of features that used to be there) are part of the new design - that is the same whether in IE or Chrome (I haven't tried it in Firefox) and they do make the new webmail more time consuming and difficult to use.

Switching to the "basic" version does make it faster, but it disables not only messenger, but several other features, so I'm finding myself needing to use the full version sometimes no matter how slow it is.

3 of 16 (1,330 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 18, 2013 9:36:52 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by FrankBarnard on Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41:08 AM

In response to nicole_daniels25 suggestion, I am already using Chrome. I agree with rabrenne, the problems are design issues and not browser issues.

Re: AT

[ Edited ]
    4 of 16 (1,295 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 19, 2013 8:43:45 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I agree; this new style is driving me up the wall with all the "page" jumping; plus my newest emails are now at the bottom and there are no dates, just day of week and time. Someone posted this only happens for the current day, nope, it is all my emails! Hate it..I am visually impared and this is too hard. If I can't go back to old style, I will have to go to gmail.

5 of 16 (1,265 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 19, 2013 10:56:42 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    I agree about the day of week and time too.?The new e-mail is a disaster. I can't imagine that they didn't test it prior to release but it sure seems like it.

I spoke to people at AT&T on the phone about the e-mail issue last week. They told me to post here for a response. I don't see anyone from AT&T on this forum and not much news about the new e-mail in general. Maybe we are a small group of guinea pigs forced to use it. AT&T technician on the phone blamed Yahoo for the e-mail problems. I don't care who is at fault. This isn't a free program from Google. I actually pay AT&T for it.

AT&T did a similar thing to my company in February with our internet service. We were forced to switch from DSL to Uverse. Internet speed went from 3.0 Mbps to 0.2 Mbps. AT&T technicians have been here for the better part of a week and only improved speed from 0.2 to 0.7 Mbps. They say they have no way to improve it beyond that so they are changing my billing to a lower rate. I don't need a $10 discount--I need e-mail, phones & internet that work. Comcast just quoted me 15% less for 4 phone lines with more features, 16.0 Mbps internet, Microsoft E-mail, 2 wireless modems plus TV. I should have done this years ago. And no, I don't work for Comcast.

Re: ATT e-mail change

6 of 16 (1,251 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 20, 2013 6:48:42 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by rabrenne on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:49:37 PM

Just to make it worse, I discovered that using the "basic" version not only disables such things as italics and bold, but some of my friends are not even seeing quotation marks or parentheses correctly in my emails if I compose them in the basic version.  I've switched it back to the regular new webmail and gone back to the fun of having to stop typing periodically and wait for it to catch up with me.  (This, of course, is in addition to all the other issues that have been mentioned here.)

It really does seem like they released it first and are testing and adjusting things now that we are all stuck using it - if it was a free email account, I probably wouldn't complain much, but I'd like my AT&T email to be at least as functional as email was in the mid-1990s.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 16 (1,223 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 20, 2013 7:02:58 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Yeah, I can't send or receive e-mails this afternoon. I keep getting error messages along the lines of "Your message cannot be sent. Please try again later." This was on a one line e-mail to one person. Just trying to get that single send to address took 2 minutes & 4 attempts.

8 of 16 (1,218 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 20, 2013 7:11:39 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Oh, and last night attach stopped working. I haven't attempted it again today.

9 of 16 (1,215 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 21, 2013 8:47:04 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:26:04 PM

I am in agreement with you on this date issue.  It is a crucial part of data on incoming messages. I have wasted so much time on this, and this issue is not covered in any of the help sources.

[Subject edited for privacy]

Re: ATT e-mail change addressed by Frank (up page a bit)

[ Edited ]
    10 of 16 (1,180 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 22, 2013 9:38:10 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by Deltagrass on Jun 22, 2013 at 9:43:50 AM

Yes, I am having many issues as well. Stayed online with an agent using an RCBrowser last night for an hour and she couldn't fix it either. I believe that it is an issue with the new Yahoo email upgrade not communicating with my Macbook Pro. Tried all browsers...Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox. It won't let me stay logged in. Every time I close the page and come back, I have to log in with two separate pages. Also preview pane is glitchy and other minor glitches. I have not had any problems with it for years until this "upgrade".

I also use it as my business email and sure don't want to go through the hassle of changing email addresses. It's frustrating...they need to fix it, fix it, fix it!

Does anyone else here use a mac?

[ Edited ]
    11 of 16 (1,159 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 22, 2013 11:45:59 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I don't have a mac but on and off I'm getting more frequent requests to log-in to AT&T Yahoo e-mail. Yesterday I got 2 or 3 repeat login requests. I usually specifiy to stay logged-in for 2 weeks. So probably not a mac issue.

12 of 16 (1,146 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 27, 2013 9:01:08 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Any actions I take, compose, delete, etc take almost a full minute to get it to respond.  Hate the new at&t, am also thinking about going to local cable (COX) for my service.

13 of 16 (1,036 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 27, 2013 3:31:13 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I actually contacted ATT about the horrible attachment issue and to date, I have heard nothing from them at all! The should have left everything alone until they worked out all of the "bugs" before they offered a "new and (not so improved) email to their customers. Even though I get "free" email from Yahoo, I am thinking of switching which would be a pain to have to change to another webmail. Also, their highlighting feature does not work properly either!!

Hope that they they get their act together VERYSOON.

14 of 16 (1,013 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 27, 2013 5:11:23 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

FrankBarnard wrote:

I don't have a mac but on and off I'm getting more frequent requests to log-in to AT&T Yahoo e-mail. Yesterday I got 2 or 3 repeat login requests. I usually specifiy to stay logged-in for 2 weeks. So probably not a mac issue.

Today I was in the middle of typing an e-mail when I got automatically logged out again. Thankfully nothing lost when I logged back in but what kind of online system logs you out when you are actively using it? Not an OS or browser issue but some sort of design bug at AT&T.

15 of 16 (1,003 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 14, 2013 11:43:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

It is infuriating.  Old mauil worked fine for me.  This new version is horrid.  I want the old one back.  Yahoo won't help.  Say you are ATT&T customer, but they won't help either!!!!! glad I'm paying through the nose for it. 

16 of 16 (881 Views)