Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Feb 28, 2014
1:41:14 PM
View profile
AT&T Email, 3rd Party Email Programs, and Windows 8.1

I have just switched from Windows Vista using Windows Mail to Windows 8.1.  After using the Windows Mail App to set up my email, I began running into problems when replying to messages - they would remain in my Drafts folder.  In doing several online chats with Microsoft, I was told that the Mail app in Win 8.1 is very basic and does not function as a regular email program, does not support 3rd party email accounts, and that I need to install a program such as Microsoft Office Outlook; however, they also added that there are other 3rd party email programs available that I can use.

I am very confused, as I've never had any issues before in setting up my email to interface with my email server.  I don't have Office Outlook and would rather not spend the money if there is another email program out there that I can use - Windows Vista, Windows Mail, and AT&T worked just fine!!

Any advice that I can get would be helpful - thank you! 

I have just switched from Windows Vista using Windows Mail to Windows 8.1.  After using the Windows Mail App to set up my email, I began running into problems when replying to messages - they would remain in my Drafts folder.  In doing several online chats with Microsoft, I was told that the Mail app in Win 8.1 is very basic and does not function as a regular email program, does not support 3rd party email accounts, and that I need to install a program such as Microsoft Office Outlook; however, they also added that there are other 3rd party email programs available that I can use.

I am very confused, as I've never had any issues before in setting up my email to interface with my email server.  I don't have Office Outlook and would rather not spend the money if there is another email program out there that I can use - Windows Vista, Windows Mail, and AT&T worked just fine!!

Any advice that I can get would be helpful - thank you! 

AT&T Email, 3rd Party Email Programs, and Windows 8.1

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:04:49 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by julywashere on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:06:47 PM

Hello cindymazz,

Have you considered Windows Live Mail 2012 (from Windows Essentials)? Windows 8.1 Mail doesn't support POP connections and AT&T email doesn't offer full IMAP support. While it works, I've often found the app to fail to communicate properly for no clear reason. 

Hello cindymazz,

Have you considered Windows Live Mail 2012 (from Windows Essentials)? Windows 8.1 Mail doesn't support POP connections and AT&T email doesn't offer full IMAP support. While it works, I've often found the app to fail to communicate properly for no clear reason. 

Re: AT&T Email, 3rd Party Email Programs, and Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]
2 of 2 (341 Views)