Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Nov 25, 2011
6:14:52 PM
2wire Modem Problem?

Hello,

I have a 2 Wire 2701 HG-B Modem, and the DSL and INTERNET light indicator  keeps going red after about an hour.  When I try to play Cafe World the lights go out, and takes 5-10 minutes to reconnect.  I have did the power cycle, it still goes out.  

Hello,

I have a 2 Wire 2701 HG-B Modem, and the DSL and INTERNET light indicator  keeps going red after about an hour.  When I try to play Cafe World the lights go out, and takes 5-10 minutes to reconnect.  I have did the power cycle, it still goes out.  

2wire Modem Problem?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 7:05:24 PM
(0)
Master

How old is your modem? 

Either you are having line issues (losing DSL synch and thus internet), or your modem is dying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

How old is your modem? 

Either you are having line issues (losing DSL synch and thus internet), or your modem is dying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: 2wire Modem Problem?

2 of 10 (5,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 8:07:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think its over  a year old.  I bought the modem at an AT&T store.  The first one that came with the service did the same thing until the lights would never turn green.

I think its over  a year old.  I bought the modem at an AT&T store.  The first one that came with the service did the same thing until the lights would never turn green.

3 of 10 (5,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 5:10:31 AM
(0)
Master

Raven2021 wrote:

I would go to your local Best Buy store and get a Motorola modem.

Raven2021 wrote:

I would go to your local Best Buy store and get a Motorola modem.

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 10 (5,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 11:21:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Raven2021 on Nov 26, 2011 at 11:21:34 AM

Which Motorola Modem should I get at Best Buy? Is the Motorola an ASDL with a router and modem built in? I have a wireless printer, ipod and laptop.  

Which Motorola Modem should I get at Best Buy? Is the Motorola an ASDL with a router and modem built in? I have a wireless printer, ipod and laptop.  

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (5,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 4:27:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having the same problem...finally talked with tech support who suggested it was the power  cord that was probably bad and for $10 get a new one before buying a new modum.  Just put a new power cord on and it seems to be workin fine.

Also just found out from tech support that the settings can be boosted for broader coverage.  My 2wire kept dropping the signal every few minutes (maddening)...we'll see if that also solves that problem  I just read somewhere that the 2wire had a defective power cord (only 1 wire) and now they make the power cord with 3 wires...

I was having the same problem...finally talked with tech support who suggested it was the power  cord that was probably bad and for $10 get a new one before buying a new modum.  Just put a new power cord on and it seems to be workin fine.

Also just found out from tech support that the settings can be boosted for broader coverage.  My 2wire kept dropping the signal every few minutes (maddening)...we'll see if that also solves that problem  I just read somewhere that the 2wire had a defective power cord (only 1 wire) and now they make the power cord with 3 wires...

6 of 10 (5,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 5:41:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ziWnVWz3Y

It does this everyone one to two hours.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ziWnVWz3Y

It does this everyone one to two hours.

7 of 10 (5,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 5:46:12 PM
(0)
Master

Raven2021 wrote:

They will probably only have one or two available and those should have integrated routers.

Raven2021 wrote:

They will probably only have one or two available and those should have integrated routers.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 10 (5,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 9:59:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

now the speed on the modem has went down. I had 1038 incoming now it dopped to this.

Broadband Link
Connection Speed:

now the speed on the modem has went down. I had 1038 incoming now it dopped to this.

Broadband Link
Connection Speed:

9 of 10 (5,470 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 8:16:03 AM
(0)
Voyager

Try a new transformer (power plug).

I discovered that two so-called "broken" 2wire modems WERE NOT BROKEN; it was caused by broken transformer (power plug).

Here is the story: My 2wire modem broke. Then purchased a new 2wire modem, hooked it up, and it worked fine. Then my mom's 2wire modem broke (or so we thought). I took her modem to my house, used my transformer (power plug) and it worked fine. Then I took my transformer to her house, connected her modem and it worked!!!

Then I decided to try the transformer on my old so-called broken modem, and it worked too!!!

Between us, we have 3 working modems, and only 1 working transformer.

Try a new transformer (power plug).

I discovered that two so-called "broken" 2wire modems WERE NOT BROKEN; it was caused by broken transformer (power plug).

Here is the story: My 2wire modem broke. Then purchased a new 2wire modem, hooked it up, and it worked fine. Then my mom's 2wire modem broke (or so we thought). I took her modem to my house, used my transformer (power plug) and it worked fine. Then I took my transformer to her house, connected her modem and it worked!!!

Then I decided to try the transformer on my old so-called broken modem, and it worked too!!!

Between us, we have 3 working modems, and only 1 working transformer.

10 of 10 (2,813 Views)