Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2013
6:24:09 PM
View profile
2Wire 2701HG-B Modem resets when a device connects wirelessly.

I'm going to cut straight to my problem with my 2Wire 2701HG-B Modem.

When I turn on a device that is connected wirelessly to my modem, my modem resets, after that the wireless LED stays on and my modem remains in an infinite loop of resets until I shut off all devices connected to my wireless network. To be a bit more clear, The power,DSL, and internet LEDs are Solid green, but once I connect  a wireless device I.E an ipod or a laptop, Both internet and DSL leds shut off and the wireless LED turns solid while the power LED blinks red and then green. when the power LED is Solid the wireless, DSL, and Internet LEDs are off. Then with all of my wireless devices shut off once again the Power, DSL, and Internet LEDs are solid green. and connecting with a wireless device once again resets the modem, so and so forth.

Note:

Ethernet works ok

problem persists even if I connect a wireless device while another device connected through ethernet

When I turn on a device that is connected wirelessly to my modem, my modem resets, after that the wireless LED stays on and my modem remains in an infinite loop of resets until I shut off all devices connected to my wireless network. To be a bit more clear, The power,DSL, and internet LEDs are Solid green, but once I connect  a wireless device I.E an ipod or a laptop, Both internet and DSL leds shut off and the wireless LED turns solid while the power LED blinks red and then green. when the power LED is Solid the wireless, DSL, and Internet LEDs are off. Then with all of my wireless devices shut off once again the Power, DSL, and Internet LEDs are solid green. and connecting with a wireless device once again resets the modem, so and so forth.

Note:

Ethernet works ok

problem persists even if I connect a wireless device while another device connected through ethernet

2Wire 2701HG-B Modem resets when a device connects wirelessly.

4 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 6:21:23 AM
(0)
Master

Shockn wrote:

Note:

Ethernet works ok

I would replace the power supply for your 2701. It sounds like its failing.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990045&q_sku=sku4930225&q_manufactu...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Shockn wrote:

Note:

Ethernet works ok

I would replace the power supply for your 2701. It sounds like its failing.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990045&q_sku=sku4930225&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: 2Wire 2701HG-B Modem resets when a device connects wirelessly.

2 of 5 (2,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 1:03:37 AM
(0)
Guru

Hello Shockn,

I had the same problem with this exact model a few years ago when I had AT&T DSL. After trying many suggestions from other users on another forum, and calling Customer Service, CS finally determined the unit to be defective and replaced it. I didn't have any problems with the replacement. A family member and a friend both had to have their units replaced, as well, for the same reason. My friend's problem intensified to the point where the router would just automatically reset every 2-7 minutes, even with no wireless connections being made to it. Her replacement's power supply had a broken prong so she shipped back the replacement adapter and used her old one. Of course these were all within the warranty period. 

Supplementing to @Computer-Joe 's post, I believe this is the proper power supply for your device. I believe the HGV's power supply supplies more power the the HG/HG-B power supplies, but I'm not entirely sure.

Hello Shockn,

I had the same problem with this exact model a few years ago when I had AT&T DSL. After trying many suggestions from other users on another forum, and calling Customer Service, CS finally determined the unit to be defective and replaced it. I didn't have any problems with the replacement. A family member and a friend both had to have their units replaced, as well, for the same reason. My friend's problem intensified to the point where the router would just automatically reset every 2-7 minutes, even with no wireless connections being made to it. Her replacement's power supply had a broken prong so she shipped back the replacement adapter and used her old one. Of course these were all within the warranty period. 

Supplementing to @Computer-Joe 's post, I believe this is the proper power supply for your device. I believe the HGV's power supply supplies more power the the HG/HG-B power supplies, but I'm not entirely sure.

3 of 5 (2,678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 5:47:04 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:50:36 AM

julywashere wrote:

Hello Shockn,

Well, considering that AT&T failed to publish the specs for this power supply it's hard to tell.

Actually you can go to Radio Shack and get a replacement power supply too. All you need to look for is an output of 12VDC at 2.5 amps and a matching connector (or you can splice the old connector on to the new power supply following the original polarity). If the power supply does not fix it, you can just return it to Radio Shack.

Over the years I've seen on here, and in person, several of the 2701 series gateways fail n this manner. After replacing the power supply (whether from AT&T or Radio Shack) the symptoms dissapear.

The problem is too many manufacturers size the power supply too close to the requirements of the device it powers (maybe to keep cost down or profits up). If the device pulls too much current from the power supply the ouput voltage will start to be reduced. If the voltage drops below a certain threshold the gateway will just reboot.

powe

r supply

julywashere wrote:

Hello Shockn,

Well, considering that AT&T failed to publish the specs for this power supply it's hard to tell.

Actually you can go to Radio Shack and get a replacement power supply too. All you need to look for is an output of 12VDC at 2.5 amps and a matching connector (or you can splice the old connector on to the new power supply following the original polarity). If the power supply does not fix it, you can just return it to Radio Shack.

Over the years I've seen on here, and in person, several of the 2701 series gateways fail n this manner. After replacing the power supply (whether from AT&T or Radio Shack) the symptoms dissapear.

The problem is too many manufacturers size the power supply too close to the requirements of the device it powers (maybe to keep cost down or profits up). If the device pulls too much current from the power supply the ouput voltage will start to be reduced. If the voltage drops below a certain threshold the gateway will just reboot.

powe

r supply

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (2,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 5:17:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

WOW!!   I had the same problem or I think I did on the same day!!!    I thought maybe pushing in the reset button would work, but hadn't done so until AFTER readin these posts.   WELL, it worked for me.

Hopefully it works for you.

WOW!!   I had the same problem or I think I did on the same day!!!    I thought maybe pushing in the reset button would work, but hadn't done so until AFTER readin these posts.   WELL, it worked for me.

Hopefully it works for you.

5 of 5 (2,615 Views)