Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted May 31, 2012
8:18:55 PM
View profile
webmail vs POP3 and associated download problems
Edited by Taylarie on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:08:23 AM

I have a problem with downloading email via POP3 to my email client. The problem is that email will crash out at totally random times ranging from not downloading a single message up to any random number of messages before downloading.

The message always includes this ::

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Clive's Email Account', Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

and will often be prefixed by this ::

Message number 169 could not be retrieved. Account: 'Clive's Email Account', Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/TEMP] problem retrieving message.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

The second message may appear more than once in the error list or not at all, but the first one will ALWAYS be there.

I've spoken with AT&T customer support via chat and via email several times now. They say it points to an incorrect email client configuration. During one of the numerous and I do mean NUMEROUS conversations I have had over what is now extending to almost 2 months now, I was told that the email accounts associated with my domain "SBCGLOBAL.NET" were systematically migrated to a central AT&T server farm. The time I was told that this was done was pretty much when I first started getting these email errors. Prior to that I had none and I've been a customer of SBC which ultimately became part of AT&T since 2004.

Every single time I called I was told to check my email configuration. This was extremely frustrating because I knew they were already 100% correct as it was the first thing I checked before calling along with disabling my anti virus & firewall all to no avail.

When the settings were proven to be correct, I allowed a remote log in session to be done by the trouble shooting arm of AT&T which I was less than happy at having to pay a charge for since there was nothing wrong with my system. They verified that my settings were correct for POP3 and said that there was no reason why email should not download. They started the download and sure message started to come in BUT after they ended the session within no more than 5 minutes email crashed out again.

I called back a couple of days later and I went through the whole spiel yet again and this time I was told it was most likely a Microsoft problem since it was Windows Mail and Windows Live mail that I was having issues with - however I had already proven that theory to be wrong as I had downloaded several different email clients that were non-Microsoft and all of them crashed out. I had also tested them on different computers and on different networks.

I desperately NEED to speak with an AT&T server level technician because while base level support say there is nothing wrong with my email and by that all they did to verify that was to ask if I could log in via webmail. Since I said yes, they said there was nothing physically wrong with my account - well clearly there is.....Duh.....or else I would not be getting these issues and the issue is with POP3 access and not with webmail.

Can somebody PLEASE point me in the right direction with a number that will allow me to speak with someone who can actually physically access the account on the AT&T server side of things and actually CHECK what is going on.

I am fed up with clerks simply telling me there is nothing wrong when that is all their screen is telling them to say. CLEARLY something is wrong or I would not be getting such errors.

I have disabled both anti virus and firewall software - even uninstalled it completely, run a complete check on my own system to delete all traces of such software then run email POP3 again - makes no difference I get the errors. I can't force the error - it just happens. I have not been able to successfully download all email in my account for nearly 4 months now.

I do have a merged Yahoo account with my AT&T account which may possibly have something to do with all this. It was never a problem. It could be cumulative but even though I log in with my SBCGLOBAL account details, if I check the details, it says my primary email address is my Yahoo address. I can't change that. There is no option to change it and it is certainly not something I did.

It was suggested that maybe I unmerge my Yahoo account - but there is no option to DO that. It was also suggested to my chagrin that I delete my SBCGLOBAL account to break the merge manually - that is unacceptable since I have a VAST amount of email in my SBCGLOBAL account that I would lose - years of correspondence and files.

I am more than happy to create a new sub account which indeed I have already done - but there is no way to bulk transfer email from one account to another - which is another reason why I need a server level tech to talk to about this since there is almost certainly a way it can be done - as an IT tech in my own business, I transfer mail all the time between user accounts and I am not talking piecemeal types of email - I am talking 10s of 1000s of emails at a time that need to be transferred.

Please let me know if someone can help with this.

Thanks

Clive {Personal content removed for your safety}

I have a problem with downloading email via POP3 to my email client. The problem is that email will crash out at totally random times ranging from not downloading a single message up to any random number of messages before downloading.

The message always includes this ::

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Clive's Email Account', Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

and will often be prefixed by this ::

Message number 169 could not be retrieved. Account: 'Clive's Email Account', Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/TEMP] problem retrieving message.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

The second message may appear more than once in the error list or not at all, but the first one will ALWAYS be there.

I've spoken with AT&T customer support via chat and via email several times now. They say it points to an incorrect email client configuration. During one of the numerous and I do mean NUMEROUS conversations I have had over what is now extending to almost 2 months now, I was told that the email accounts associated with my domain "SBCGLOBAL.NET" were systematically migrated to a central AT&T server farm. The time I was told that this was done was pretty much when I first started getting these email errors. Prior to that I had none and I've been a customer of SBC which ultimately became part of AT&T since 2004.

Every single time I called I was told to check my email configuration. This was extremely frustrating because I knew they were already 100% correct as it was the first thing I checked before calling along with disabling my anti virus & firewall all to no avail.

When the settings were proven to be correct, I allowed a remote log in session to be done by the trouble shooting arm of AT&T which I was less than happy at having to pay a charge for since there was nothing wrong with my system. They verified that my settings were correct for POP3 and said that there was no reason why email should not download. They started the download and sure message started to come in BUT after they ended the session within no more than 5 minutes email crashed out again.

I called back a couple of days later and I went through the whole spiel yet again and this time I was told it was most likely a Microsoft problem since it was Windows Mail and Windows Live mail that I was having issues with - however I had already proven that theory to be wrong as I had downloaded several different email clients that were non-Microsoft and all of them crashed out. I had also tested them on different computers and on different networks.

I desperately NEED to speak with an AT&T server level technician because while base level support say there is nothing wrong with my email and by that all they did to verify that was to ask if I could log in via webmail. Since I said yes, they said there was nothing physically wrong with my account - well clearly there is.....Duh.....or else I would not be getting these issues and the issue is with POP3 access and not with webmail.

Can somebody PLEASE point me in the right direction with a number that will allow me to speak with someone who can actually physically access the account on the AT&T server side of things and actually CHECK what is going on.

I am fed up with clerks simply telling me there is nothing wrong when that is all their screen is telling them to say. CLEARLY something is wrong or I would not be getting such errors.

I have disabled both anti virus and firewall software - even uninstalled it completely, run a complete check on my own system to delete all traces of such software then run email POP3 again - makes no difference I get the errors. I can't force the error - it just happens. I have not been able to successfully download all email in my account for nearly 4 months now.

I do have a merged Yahoo account with my AT&T account which may possibly have something to do with all this. It was never a problem. It could be cumulative but even though I log in with my SBCGLOBAL account details, if I check the details, it says my primary email address is my Yahoo address. I can't change that. There is no option to change it and it is certainly not something I did.

It was suggested that maybe I unmerge my Yahoo account - but there is no option to DO that. It was also suggested to my chagrin that I delete my SBCGLOBAL account to break the merge manually - that is unacceptable since I have a VAST amount of email in my SBCGLOBAL account that I would lose - years of correspondence and files.

I am more than happy to create a new sub account which indeed I have already done - but there is no way to bulk transfer email from one account to another - which is another reason why I need a server level tech to talk to about this since there is almost certainly a way it can be done - as an IT tech in my own business, I transfer mail all the time between user accounts and I am not talking piecemeal types of email - I am talking 10s of 1000s of emails at a time that need to be transferred.

Please let me know if someone can help with this.

Thanks

Clive {Personal content removed for your safety}

webmail vs POP3 and associated download problems

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 4:19:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

Re: webmail vs POP3 and associated download problems

2 of 4 (1,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2012 7:15:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same issue:

Window 7 64 bit

Windows Live mail

xxx@att.net

using the same email server settings for 2 years - no issues

- can get mail on phone and website

- windows live mail gets email from all other accounts

created new email box - email connected and once it downloaded all mail from server - the problem started up again.

Thanks!

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same issue:

Window 7 64 bit

Windows Live mail

xxx@att.net

using the same email server settings for 2 years - no issues

- can get mail on phone and website

- windows live mail gets email from all other accounts

created new email box - email connected and once it downloaded all mail from server - the problem started up again.

Thanks!

3 of 4 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2012 9:19:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Exact same problem occuring with Windows live mail. Started on the 21st. I use Insight/Time warner as my cable/internet access provider and I've been using my at&t email accout for over 20 years now... or close to thats for darn

sure.

Now i get a message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Att (j.p.morton) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: POP3 Port: 995 Secure(SSL): Yes

AT&T has no knowledge.

Any help will be appreciated.

webmail works.

pop3 mail freezes at june 21.

very strange.

Exact same problem occuring with Windows live mail. Started on the 21st. I use Insight/Time warner as my cable/internet access provider and I've been using my at&t email accout for over 20 years now... or close to thats for darn

sure.

Now i get a message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Att (j.p.morton) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: POP3 Port: 995 Secure(SSL): Yes

AT&T has no knowledge.

Any help will be appreciated.

webmail works.

pop3 mail freezes at june 21.

very strange.

4 of 4 (937 Views)