Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 17, 2009
7:55:46 PM
upgrading from Alcatel 1000ADSL modem
I have had my Alcatel 1000ADSL modem since November 1999; it continues to work fine for my AT&T (originally PacBell) DSL, which I have also had since 1999. I have a legacy fixed IP address. I thought that perhaps a modern-day modem would improve my Internet speed, which varies between 600 kBs and 1,000 kBs down and about 300 kBs up. So, I ordered a Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem from the AT&T web site. That modem arrived today. On its bottom label it reads "style MSTATEA" and there is a sticker with a 10-digit "modem access code." I substituted the new Motorola modem for my Alcaltel modem; the "activity" and "internet" LEDs light steady green, but the "DSL" LED stays flashing red, even after several minutes. And, of course, no Internet or e-mail connectivity. Re-connecting my Alcaltel modem restores my Internet access and e-mail. I have a Power Mac G4 running OS 10.5.8. My Mac's Internet setup is "configure manually." I can't find where my Mac's Interset setup even asks for a "modem access code." Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated. I would like to find out if the current technology Motorola modem (which is about 1/10th the size of my Alcaltel modem) will give me a speed increase. I also expect that the Motorola modem draws much less power than my Alcaltel modem, so I would like to start using the Motorola modem even if there is no speed increase. I don't do large file downloads, so my current DSL speed is acceptable, but if I can get an improvement without upgrading my DSL subscription, I wouldn't turn that down. But first I have to figure out why the Motorola modem won't work.
I have had my Alcatel 1000ADSL modem since November 1999; it continues to work fine for my AT&T (originally PacBell) DSL, which I have also had since 1999. I have a legacy fixed IP address. I thought that perhaps a modern-day modem would improve my Internet speed, which varies between 600 kBs and 1,000 kBs down and about 300 kBs up. So, I ordered a Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem from the AT&T web site. That modem arrived today. On its bottom label it reads "style MSTATEA" and there is a sticker with a 10-digit "modem access code." I substituted the new Motorola modem for my Alcaltel modem; the "activity" and "internet" LEDs light steady green, but the "DSL" LED stays flashing red, even after several minutes. And, of course, no Internet or e-mail connectivity. Re-connecting my Alcaltel modem restores my Internet access and e-mail. I have a Power Mac G4 running OS 10.5.8. My Mac's Internet setup is "configure manually." I can't find where my Mac's Interset setup even asks for a "modem access code." Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated. I would like to find out if the current technology Motorola modem (which is about 1/10th the size of my Alcaltel modem) will give me a speed increase. I also expect that the Motorola modem draws much less power than my Alcaltel modem, so I would like to start using the Motorola modem even if there is no speed increase. I don't do large file downloads, so my current DSL speed is acceptable, but if I can get an improvement without upgrading my DSL subscription, I wouldn't turn that down. But first I have to figure out why the Motorola modem won't work.

upgrading from Alcatel 1000ADSL modem

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 5:27:42 PM
(0)
Guru
hi dane1234!

if the DSL light blinks red, then it could mean that you are not getting a good dsl signal from the pjack where the modem is connected to; or it could also be a bad modem/filter/cable connection. but since the alcatel works fine at the same pjack, then it's either a bad moto2210 phone cable or bad modem.

BTW, the moto2210 is a smart DSL modem. it has an on board PPPoE connection that would allow your computer to connect to the internet using your AT&T email ID and password. the modem access code is only needed when you need to make changes in the modem's graphical interface (192.168.1.254). you don't need to enter this anywhere on your MAC computer settings.

since your MAC computer was manually setup to connect thru your static IP service, i think you will need to put the modem on bridge mode.

i believe David will be able to give us a better answer to this. :smileyhappy:
hi dane1234!

if the DSL light blinks red, then it could mean that you are not getting a good dsl signal from the pjack where the modem is connected to; or it could also be a bad modem/filter/cable connection. but since the alcatel works fine at the same pjack, then it's either a bad moto2210 phone cable or bad modem.

BTW, the moto2210 is a smart DSL modem. it has an on board PPPoE connection that would allow your computer to connect to the internet using your AT&T email ID and password. the modem access code is only needed when you need to make changes in the modem's graphical interface (192.168.1.254). you don't need to enter this anywhere on your MAC computer settings.

since your MAC computer was manually setup to connect thru your static IP service, i think you will need to put the modem on bridge mode.

i believe David will be able to give us a better answer to this. :smileyhappy:

Re: upgrading from Alcatel 1000ADSL modem

2 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 6:43:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
akee: Thanks for your reply. The Motorola modem came with a nice green colored phone jack cable that I swapped out with my original, somewhat shorter gray cable that I had been using to feed my Alcatel modem, and the Alcatel modem locked up using the Motorola modem provided cable. So this rules out a bad cable. I found on the Broadband forum a claim that the Alcatel modem uses different wire pairs than the Motorola modem, and that I needed a Radio Shack line splitter, part number 279-432. So, with high expectations I stopped at my local Radio Shack store at got a telephone jack line splitter. But, it didn't help. The Motorola modem still gives me a flashing red DSL light, on either splitter jack output. Going through that same splitter my Alcatel modem locks up fine on either output. I hate to sound dumb, but here goes: how do I place the Motorola modem in "bridge" mode?
akee: Thanks for your reply. The Motorola modem came with a nice green colored phone jack cable that I swapped out with my original, somewhat shorter gray cable that I had been using to feed my Alcatel modem, and the Alcatel modem locked up using the Motorola modem provided cable. So this rules out a bad cable. I found on the Broadband forum a claim that the Alcatel modem uses different wire pairs than the Motorola modem, and that I needed a Radio Shack line splitter, part number 279-432. So, with high expectations I stopped at my local Radio Shack store at got a telephone jack line splitter. But, it didn't help. The Motorola modem still gives me a flashing red DSL light, on either splitter jack output. Going through that same splitter my Alcatel modem locks up fine on either output. I hate to sound dumb, but here goes: how do I place the Motorola modem in "bridge" mode?

3 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 3:14:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
Update: It turned out that I had the wrong Radio Shack line splitter; I had a 4-wire splitter, whereas I needed the 2-line splitter. Connecting my Motorola 2210 modem to "line 2" now causes the "DSL" light to lock up to steady green. But, I still can't establish an Internet connection (I am back on my Alcatel modem writing this). As I mentioned, I have a legacy fixed IP address, so I tried using dynamic host connection protocol (DHCP) with manual address in addition to what the instruction manual says for Mac users, which is "using DHCP." But neither allow establishing an Internet connection. Any help would still be appreciated.
Update: It turned out that I had the wrong Radio Shack line splitter; I had a 4-wire splitter, whereas I needed the 2-line splitter. Connecting my Motorola 2210 modem to "line 2" now causes the "DSL" light to lock up to steady green. But, I still can't establish an Internet connection (I am back on my Alcatel modem writing this). As I mentioned, I have a legacy fixed IP address, so I tried using dynamic host connection protocol (DHCP) with manual address in addition to what the instruction manual says for Mac users, which is "using DHCP." But neither allow establishing an Internet connection. Any help would still be appreciated.

4 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 6:02:13 PM
(0)
Guru
good to hear that your moto2210's dsl light now stays solid green! :smileyhappy:

to connect to the internet using the new modem, you may need to try to set it up first thru pppoe. if it still won't connect, then we'll try to put it on bridge mode and see if that will work.

connect the new modem --> go to the site 192.168.1.254 --> it should pull up the modem's graphical interface.

on the left panel, click on ADVANCED --> CONNECTION CONFIGURATION --> enter the Modem Access Code if asked (found under the modem) --> click on DISCONNECT (by default, it connects you using the attreg@att.net login).

do you remember having an @att.net, @sbcglobal.net, or an email ID provided by AT&T? you need to enter the att email ID and pword. then save the settings. it will then restart the modem for 60 seconds.

if you don't have an email ID, then we can try putting the modem on bridge mode since MAC was already setup for static before.
good to hear that your moto2210's dsl light now stays solid green! :smileyhappy:

to connect to the internet using the new modem, you may need to try to set it up first thru pppoe. if it still won't connect, then we'll try to put it on bridge mode and see if that will work.

connect the new modem --> go to the site 192.168.1.254 --> it should pull up the modem's graphical interface.

on the left panel, click on ADVANCED --> CONNECTION CONFIGURATION --> enter the Modem Access Code if asked (found under the modem) --> click on DISCONNECT (by default, it connects you using the attreg@att.net login).

do you remember having an @att.net, @sbcglobal.net, or an email ID provided by AT&T? you need to enter the att email ID and pword. then save the settings. it will then restart the modem for 60 seconds.

if you don't have an email ID, then we can try putting the modem on bridge mode since MAC was already setup for static before.

5 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 6:09:03 PM
(0)
Guru
if the above steps do not work/do not apply, try putting the modem on bridge mode.

go back to 192.168.1.254 website --> click on ADVANCED --> PPP LOCATION --> enter the Modem Access Code (if asked) --> select the option BRIDGED MODE --> save the settings. the modem will restart to save the settings.

Note: Only the 3 lights (PWR-ENET-DSL) will be solid green after a restart.

then check if you can surf.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
if the above steps do not work/do not apply, try putting the modem on bridge mode.

go back to 192.168.1.254 website --> click on ADVANCED --> PPP LOCATION --> enter the Modem Access Code (if asked) --> select the option BRIDGED MODE --> save the settings. the modem will restart to save the settings.

Note: Only the 3 lights (PWR-ENET-DSL) will be solid green after a restart.

then check if you can surf.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

6 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 6:30:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well, the good news is that I have obtained a wealth of information of settings that don't result in obtaining Internet access using my new Motorola 2210 modem. First, I found out that if I changed my OS10 network access from "configure manually" to "using DHCP," and then launched my web browser and ignored the "you are not connected to the Internet" warning, I could then enter the indicated URL for my Motorola modem and bring up the built-in graphical interface. That is, I had not initially understood that all I needed was a working Ethernet connection between the Motorola modem and my Mac, not a working Internet connection. I then tried multiple setups, including bridged mode, but none resulted in establishing an Internet connection. In all cases, restoring my Mac's network setup to the "configure manually" settings that work for my Alcatel 1000ADSL modem re-established my Internet connection, and at better than 1.3 Mbs- close to the maximum speed for my AT&T basic DSL subscription. So, it is now my conclusion that the Motorola 2210 modem that AT&T is selling on its web site will simply not work if you have a legacy fixed IP address, like I have. Since I don't want AT&T to mess with my currently working just fine DSL connection, I will give up on the Motorola modem until such time as my Alcatel modem fails. Then, I will call AT&T and have them update me from my fixed IP address to a dynamic IP address. Incidentally, a digital wattmeter shows that although the Alcatel modem draws more power than the Motorola modem, it's not much more: 6 watts for the Alcatel versus 3 watts for the Motorola. I had expected my legacy Alcatel modem to draw more like 10 to 20 watts, but that turned out not to be case; not too shabby for a 10-year old modem. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Well, the good news is that I have obtained a wealth of information of settings that don't result in obtaining Internet access using my new Motorola 2210 modem. First, I found out that if I changed my OS10 network access from "configure manually" to "using DHCP," and then launched my web browser and ignored the "you are not connected to the Internet" warning, I could then enter the indicated URL for my Motorola modem and bring up the built-in graphical interface. That is, I had not initially understood that all I needed was a working Ethernet connection between the Motorola modem and my Mac, not a working Internet connection. I then tried multiple setups, including bridged mode, but none resulted in establishing an Internet connection. In all cases, restoring my Mac's network setup to the "configure manually" settings that work for my Alcatel 1000ADSL modem re-established my Internet connection, and at better than 1.3 Mbs- close to the maximum speed for my AT&T basic DSL subscription. So, it is now my conclusion that the Motorola 2210 modem that AT&T is selling on its web site will simply not work if you have a legacy fixed IP address, like I have. Since I don't want AT&T to mess with my currently working just fine DSL connection, I will give up on the Motorola modem until such time as my Alcatel modem fails. Then, I will call AT&T and have them update me from my fixed IP address to a dynamic IP address. Incidentally, a digital wattmeter shows that although the Alcatel modem draws more power than the Motorola modem, it's not much more: 6 watts for the Alcatel versus 3 watts for the Motorola. I had expected my legacy Alcatel modem to draw more like 10 to 20 watts, but that turned out not to be case; not too shabby for a 10-year old modem. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

7 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 6:35:58 AM
(0)
Guru

good to hear that you got things figured out.

BTW, in case that you need help in setting up the moto2210 modem to work with the legacy static IP service, you can always contact the AT&T's second-level of support (Tier2) to assist you in properly configuring the modem.

tech support --> 877-722-3755, just ask for Tier 2.

good to hear that you got things figured out.

BTW, in case that you need help in setting up the moto2210 modem to work with the legacy static IP service, you can always contact the AT&T's second-level of support (Tier2) to assist you in properly configuring the modem.

tech support --> 877-722-3755, just ask for Tier 2.

8 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 6:44:12 PM
(0)
Tutor
Belay my last; the Motorola 2210 modem WILL work with a legacy PacBell fixed IP address. I was almost there last time, when I switched the modem to "bridged" mode. The remaining step, which I didn't do previously but decided to try today at the suggestion of our computer guru at my work location, was to then go back to my Mac's Internet setup screen and return to my Alcatel "configure manually" settings (and remembering to hit the "apply" button). That is, to go from DHCP back to configure manually. Bingo, I had my Internet access using the new Motorola modem. So the "trick" was that first I had to configure my Mac's Internet setup to DHCP, to allow accessing the Motorola modem's graphical user interface, to switch to bridged mode. Then I had to return my Mac's Internet setup to "configure manually." Additionally, there was the different DSL wires that the Motorola modem uses. As previously reported, obtaining a Radio Shack 2-line splitter, part number 279-432, with THREE outputs, L1, L2 and L1+L2, was also necessary. Use the L1+L2 port for the Alcatel modem, use the L2 port for the Motorola modem. Both modems cannot be connected at the same time. Also, do not use the R-S single-line splitter, with just two outputs; it won't work. So, if there are any other long-time PacBell DSL subscribers out there with a legacy Alcatel 1000ADSL modem and with a fixed IP address, you now know the "secrets" of upgrading. Since it turns out that my Alcatel modem is no faster than the Motorola modem, and since the Alcatel modem's power drawing is still low (6 watts versus 3 watts for the Motorola 2210), I'll continue to use my Alcatel modem until it fails, knowing that I now have an immediately available replacement.
Belay my last; the Motorola 2210 modem WILL work with a legacy PacBell fixed IP address. I was almost there last time, when I switched the modem to "bridged" mode. The remaining step, which I didn't do previously but decided to try today at the suggestion of our computer guru at my work location, was to then go back to my Mac's Internet setup screen and return to my Alcatel "configure manually" settings (and remembering to hit the "apply" button). That is, to go from DHCP back to configure manually. Bingo, I had my Internet access using the new Motorola modem. So the "trick" was that first I had to configure my Mac's Internet setup to DHCP, to allow accessing the Motorola modem's graphical user interface, to switch to bridged mode. Then I had to return my Mac's Internet setup to "configure manually." Additionally, there was the different DSL wires that the Motorola modem uses. As previously reported, obtaining a Radio Shack 2-line splitter, part number 279-432, with THREE outputs, L1, L2 and L1+L2, was also necessary. Use the L1+L2 port for the Alcatel modem, use the L2 port for the Motorola modem. Both modems cannot be connected at the same time. Also, do not use the R-S single-line splitter, with just two outputs; it won't work. So, if there are any other long-time PacBell DSL subscribers out there with a legacy Alcatel 1000ADSL modem and with a fixed IP address, you now know the "secrets" of upgrading. Since it turns out that my Alcatel modem is no faster than the Motorola modem, and since the Alcatel modem's power drawing is still low (6 watts versus 3 watts for the Motorola 2210), I'll continue to use my Alcatel modem until it fails, knowing that I now have an immediately available replacement.

9 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2009 6:40:34 AM
(0)
Guru
wow! thanks for these useful info. :smileyhappy:
wow! thanks for these useful info. :smileyhappy:

10 of 11 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2009 11:26:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
I think by staying in your computer's DHCP, and configuring the Motorola 2210 with your AT&T Member ID and PW will also do the trick... The graphical user-interface of the modem also has an option to configure the static IP so there's no problem with it...
I think by staying in your computer's DHCP, and configuring the Motorola 2210 with your AT&T Member ID and PW will also do the trick... The graphical user-interface of the modem also has an option to configure the static IP so there's no problem with it...

11 of 11 (967 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments