static IP removed (without talking to me), shifts blame, has multiple stories....

Teacher

static IP removed (without talking to me), shifts blame, has multiple stories....

I'd really like some help here. Firstly, if you go here :

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520238&q_manufactu...

(and make sure on Details tab), what is one thing you see ? Oh yes, it's "Static IP capable"

SURE! If you can change the activation key (silly thought there). Problem: it is LOCKED.

So, stupid me rings up AT&T tech. And I specifically mention static IP (legacy account). What does this "tech support" do but queue AT&T tier 2 support about it WITHOUT TALKING TO ME? And then what does this level 2 "tech" do ? He changes my account to PPPoE! I refuse to believe he did not realize the implications. Oh, but he did it anyway without even telling me.

I've been on the same IP for years. Their excuses:

- The database says "dynamic".
Reason: it says that because they THREE times had a tech remove it from the redback and I had them put it back but it wasn't fixed in the database. So, some times I hear "your dynamic IP was deactivated in" 2001, 2006, 2010. Excuse me? How is that possible? Exactly. It isn't.
- Another one I heard today: it's because they're moving uverse in. Yeah, I would believe that EXCEPT I'm over 19k feet from the CO and over 16k feet from the RT. Also, the fact the tech level one told me AFTER the fact AND reason 1 ... means this excuse is complete nonsense. In other words: I'm grandfathered in.

I've talked to tier 2, tier 1, sales/orders.

What do they all suggest ? Oh, you can spend an additional $15 a month for a block. Can I now? No. It's called a concessions/employee discount account, and guess what they don't support? Static IPs. Even then, it was not my doing or fault. No order was in place. Nothing.

So now, because of this inexcusable decision, I have 7 domains wasted. I have an ssl certificate wasted (because, after all, no domain to be reached). Dynamic dns is not even an option.The best part: I have a PTR record in AT&T's dns server (for the time being), so that's also wasted. Even more so: the IP is in which block?

Let's see...

NetRange:       64.160.0.0 - 64.175.255.255
CIDR:           64.160.0.0/12
OriginAS:       
NetName:        SBCIS-SIS80
NetHandle:      NET-64-160-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-64-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Allocation
Comment:        ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

In short: the IP is now wasted (of course, they tell me it isn't. Right. Then what does direct allocation and non portable address mean in their mind? I'd be very curious to know [though I can guess]).

So tell me, how can I get this fixed ? I wouldn't even mind paying a fee as long as it isn't a monthly fee.

The sad thing is, I am still a fairly decent advocate of AT&T for many things. But then things like this happen, where it is not the customers fault at all and they shift blame, and then it makes me think differently. Why would a company do that? What do they gain? Nothing positive.

Message 1 of 6 (688 Views)

Re: static IP removed (without talking to me), shifts blame, has multiple stories....

Well, you have the wrong gateway/router. It clearly states on the FEATURES tab "This DSL Gateway is currently designed for customers enjoying AT&T DSL" Smiley Wink

If you were on a static IP, you would have been paying a monthly fee for it. The static IP you had when you were using your old modem, was more than likely linked to your old modem's MAC, not your user account. You would still be logging on, but when the DHCP server saw your modem's MAC it handed out the IP that was reserved for it. Now you jump on with the 4111N, which has a different MAC, so it cannot have your original IP (because it's reserved for your old modem). If you know the MAC of your old modem you might be able to get the 4111N to give that MAC when it logs on (which it should be doing with PPPoE).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 6 (671 Views)
Teacher

Re: static IP removed (without talking to me), shifts blame, has multiple stories....

[ Edited ]

You're wrong. I'm on ADSL. It was NOT PPPoE. Furthermore, it's called being 'grandfathered in' and also 'legacy static'. Did you even read what I said ? The fact I never have used PPPoE - EVER - says you either don't get what I said {please keep it courteous}. Amazing you can read what it says and also miss the other part and also the part I AM on ADSL. Try again.

Message 3 of 6 (667 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Oh, and also: I'm still using the same modem and will be returning the one I got. So no, my account was changed completely from legacy static to PPPoE dynamic.

Interestingly, I've had 3-4 modems that were obviously different MAC addresses, over the years. Also, as for authentication, it was a fact that my server was the one obtaining the IP and guess what has never been on the server until the other day ? Exactly - rp-pppoe and ppp packages.

Edit: In case I sound aggressive: know it's not directed at you or certainly not meant that way. The thing is, I already said everything; that I have a PTR record (meaning AT&T requires it be a static IP); that it was legacy static (and singular implies that actually); that I am on a concessions account (= no cost, so charge is irrelevant); that the modem is under DSL equipment and says for static IP; that the key is locked and therefore its not even valid advertisement; that.... list goes on. In short: I know what I'm doing. My only mistake was to call tech over it. Who would know that they'd assume such a thing is OK. It's still not my fault and it's still inexcusable they did it without talking to me and have multiple stories. But whatever. Hopefully you get the point now.

Message 4 of 6 (666 Views)

There are a lot of modems there and they all say DSL. The pace also says it's a PPPoE gateway, and as far as the "static IP" it mentions, it is probably talking about routing a block of static IPs, which is now the standard for static IP packages. ADSL does not specifically impy static IPs, singular or multiple. If I'm not mistaken, if you had some kind of employee concession, that there is a specific department to handle those. Can you go back to them?

As far as being "grandfathered in", that only works until AT&T decides it don't, then it's over. The only thing written in stone is they can rewrite the stone at any time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 6 (656 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, as I also originally wrote, the problem isn't that. It's that the activation key for static ip configuration (mind you, static ip option for single ip IS there) has to be changed. But they have it - the key - locked. To me, that's false advertisement. It's locked no matter which static ip option (single or PPPoE sticky static blocks just that the PPPoE isn't necessary to have the key changed [I Guess]. Thing is, why have the single option if you can't use it?).

And as for grandfathered in. Yes and no. I'm referring to the actual connection; we're technically out further than we can be for the speed we get (especially in the beginning. Far as I know we're still going from the CO). So, while yeah they could remove us, it's unlikely (unless we order Uverse which might be the best option now given that the IPs there stay the same longer - or so I read). As for static ip: true, however the reason is what bothers me. It isn't that they had a real reason to; they just assumed that that was the solution. It isn't especially when you consider it was false advertisement. And heck, I'm complaining BUT then think of people that have even more of a use for a static ip (i.e., old businesses that didn't have to have a business plan for static ip originally). Even worse was I mentioned to them I have a PTR record, and they just go and remove my static IP. All around, it's a huge mess and it's their doing. While I have it mostly sorted out now (minus the fact IP is dynamic) it's still not to my liking. Thankfully I also have secondary NS's so I can actually place them as master and then just update them automatically when IP changes.

In any case, I might add that that the 2wire I have is also PPPoE gateway but that doesn't mean it doesn't have static IP option. Indeed, it's the same company now, and in fact that's how I had it configured too: static ip. Until they removed it, that is. Now it's PPPoE.

Lastly, as I wrote, I'm not trying to rip at AT&T in full. I'm actually usually a pretty big advocate of them. As I often write, the problem with computers is often what's between the keyboard and chair (or is in the chair not in the computer). The sad fact is though (and I'm not excluded there with my administrating): administrators and everyone else 'in the know' are also vulnerable to that.

Edit:

Oh, you asked. No, unfortunately employee discount (not me but the person I live with) group doesn't deal with static IP plans of any kind (it's just we were a legacy account - they used to give out static IPs as you may know) and they can't add it back or put an order in either. That's what bothers me: they want us to pay for their mistake. A mistake that could have been avoided. Level 2 support says that they can't add it back either (funny that they can remove it though). And then they say there's no  level 3. (No idea how many there really are, but that's what I was told by a manager at the level 2 support).

Message 6 of 6 (651 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.