Ask a question

Posted Sep 3, 2009
2:53:08 PM
View profile
spam filter
The ATT/Yahoo spam filter is trapping good email. Is there a way to get it to back off? I know how to add email address to block, but there appears no way to give it address to let through.

spam filter

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2009 4:35:39 PM
(0)
Guru
hi ejp!

yes, there is a way to mark your email contacts as NON-SPAMMERS. just login to your mail page. then click on the SPAM FOLDER. open the valid/good emails and then click on the NOT SPAM button above. this will let your spam feature to recognize that sender as a NON-SPAMMER. it's a way of training your spam filter to recognize which email IDs should be directed to the INBOX instead of the SPAM folder.

in the future, when that contact sends you an email, it will automatically go to the Inbox already.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

Re: spam filter

2 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2009 9:25:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
There must be several levels of spam filtering because I very seldom see any new spam messages. About half are not spam and I mark them as such. What happens to all the other messages that ARE spam but get thrown away before I can see them? My gmail account gets about 800 spam messages a month so I know my AT&T account probably gets many more because it is my primary and most heavily used account.

3 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 11:52:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
We are having the same problem with the SpamGuard filter trapping good email. We have our corporate office in Atlanta and most of our employees are using AT&T for their home service. Unfortunately, there is nobody you can contact about the SpamGuard service to find out what conditions are triggering good email to arrive in the online spam folder. The AT&T support line claims they have no control over SpamGuard and have no point of contact to escalate the problem to at Yahoo. There is not even a link where you can request more information or put in a request to have your domain evaluated. This is a failure in their support structure for both residential and business clients. We have checked Spamhaus along with several other blacklist sites and found we are clean. Our Cisco IronPort even shows our domain to be in the green with their SenderBase system.

4 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 6:40:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

I know what you mean I have had trouble with the Spamming of good e-mails for the last 3 months. Most of the e-mails that are labeled as Spam I have had coming to my e-mail address for years now all of a sudden the get labeled Spam. Some of my bills are going there to. Now AT&T has no fix for this.

5 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2009 6:34:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
I sent myself a test message. It went to the spam folder. I went to the spam folder and marked it as "Not Spam". I sent myself another test message. It also went to the spam folder. Does anyone know if you repeat this process whether it will finally "learn"?

6 of 9 (1,720 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2009 8:10:32 AM
(0)
Guru
hi joneswayne!

try doing the same process again.

usually, it should only take one time for the Spam feature to learn. it's quite weird that it did not remember your email as a non-spammer the first time you did it.

7 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2009 8:09:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
Since I rarely use webmail, I've just become aware of the spam filtering problem. I discovered numerous messages from regular senders, in my spam box. Some messages are blocked and some (from the same sender) are delivered. There is no rhyme or reason to to what's blocked. While checking it out I discovered others who had the problem and were not even aware of it! My wife's spam box contains blocked messages from me! If AT&T really can't deal with this, as has been reported, it may be time to move to Google Mail, exclusively; that works with ALL providers. I'm convinced that many, perhaps a majority of users are still unaware of the problem. We should all tell our contacts.

8 of 9 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2009 12:39:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
I made sure to use the new pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com in my email program. When I stopped using the mail.bellsouth.net servers, it seems to have fixed the problem. I don't think the old mail.bellsouth.net servers are authenticating correctly, causing email to be flagged as spam. try that and see if it helps, Margaret

9 of 9 (1,720 Views)