moving to a new area help

Contributor

moving to a new area help

Ok, so I am soon to be moving into my own house, as I am currently living with other family. They previously had at&t as phone but we added internet and we spilt the bill accordingly but it comes as one statement. Now I will be moving out before my at&t contract is up but I want/need to take strictly the internet portion of my bill with me. The area I am in is not very far an is still in the same town so they do offer the service. I will not be having a phone land line as I will use my cell for calls. I was told that this was no problem to switch just the internet to my new home with no issues other than that I would have to possibly pay a little more per month for the reason of the no land line. Is this correct or what? What is the correct course of action when it is time, in the next month or so? Thank you

Message 1 of 5 (478 Views)

Re: moving to a new area help

[ Edited ]

mountaingoat wrote:

Ok, so I am soon to be moving into my own house, as I am currently living with other family. They previously had at&t as phone but we added internet and we spilt the bill accordingly but it comes as one statement. Now I will be moving out before my at&t contract is up but I want/need to take strictly the internet portion of my bill with me. The area I am in is not very far an is still in the same town so they do offer the service. I will not be having a phone land line as I will use my cell for calls. I was told that this was no problem to switch just the internet to my new home with no issues other than that I would have to possibly pay a little more per month for the reason of the no land line. Is this correct or what? What is the correct course of action when it is time, in the next month or so? Thank you

The big question, is the current bill in your name?

If not, you will want to just turn off the internet at the old location, and start a new "Dry Loop" (internet only) service in your name at the new location.

If you start telling them something weird like "I want to transfer part of someone elses services to me at a new address" they will be confused and more than likely screw up your family's old account and your new account.

As well, not only will your internet cost more due to lack of landline, but your family's land line cost will more than likely go up due to removal of the internet portion of the service. Plus, if you are under a term with AT&T, Early Termination Fees will apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 5 (453 Views)
Contributor

No the bill is not in my name.... but I am in a contract and its only around half way through. I dont really want to pay termination fees but I would think there would/could be a way. Honestly they should be able to as long as I am still paying the bills.

I simply want to stop this service and start new... wishfully under the same contract, with no fees. But I realize this may not be possible.

Message 3 of 5 (440 Views)

mountaingoat wrote:

No the bill is not in my name.... but I am in a contract and its only around half way through. I dont really want to pay termination fees but I would think there would/could be a way. Honestly they should be able to as long as I am still paying the bills.

I simply want to stop this service and start new... wishfully under the same contract, with no fees. But I realize this may not be possible.

You can't be in a contract if your name is not on the bill, so there's no way to continue a contract you don't have.

If you called in and had internet added to someone elses account under a term agreement, and you now want to shut it off, you will have to pay an ETF. No way around it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 4 of 5 (436 Views)
Contributor

ok you are correct in my misuse of words. Thank you

Message 5 of 5 (433 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.