cannot send e-mail

Contributor

cannot send e-mail

Suddently I was unable to send mail on SMTP mail.bellsouth.net I appears that AT&T has made a change to other accounts in the past without notification. Anyone know what this account changed to?
Message 1 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Contributor

Re: cannot send e-mail

I also can't send email suddenly from Outlook 2003.  I get an error that the SMTP Server doesn't support SSL-Security

Message 2 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Mentor

kelly6833 wrote:

I also can't send email suddenly from Outlook 2003.  I get an error that the SMTP Server doesn't support SSL-Security

do you already have SP3 in your Outlook 2003? the new SSL ports of AT&T will only work if you have the latest Service Pack version in your Outlook 2003. if you still don't have the SP3, you can get it by clicking on this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E25B7049-3E13-433B-B9D2-5E3C1132F206&displa...

Message 3 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Mentor

btw, here are the steps on how you can check for the Service Pack (SP) in your Outlook 2003:

1. Inside your Outlook 2003 client, click Help and select About.
  2. The "About Microsoft Outlook" window opens. The first line shows the version of the program you're using (for example, Microsoft� Outlook� 2003 (10.6515.6830) SP2).
  3. It's that last part -- "SP2" in the example -- that tells you what version of the service pack (SP) you've got. If it shows anything other than SP3, you will need to download the latest Microsoft Office Service Pack.
Message 4 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Guru

hi bichontrio!

try to go to att.yahoo.com/mail website. then login using the @bellsouth.net email ID and password. if you can login to that portal, then you need to use the new POP and SMTP mail server settings.

POP Server Settings --> pop.att.yahoo.com ; SSL selected ; port 995
SMTP Server Settings --> smtp.att.yahoo.com ; SSL selected ; port 465 ; Authentication is required.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
Message 5 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the help. I tried changing the settings but it did not correct the problem. We were on vacation at the time and now that we have returned home, everything is working with the old SMTP mail.bellsouth.net even though the accounts had to be converted to the att.yahoo.com for web mail. Strange
Message 6 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Contributor

bellsouth.net to yahoo.com switch over

ATT switched my bellsouth.net email account to yahoo ATT's support sucks!!! I finally got my incoming email to work BUT can NOT get the out going mail to work. I have tried the smtp setting and the port setting
Message 7 of 9 (2,862 Views)
Contributor

akee:

Thanks for your advice.  What you said worked for me.  I am now able to send email from Outlook 2003 after U-verse was installed.  In addition to what you said, I also had to change the User Name in Outlook to add the "@bellsouth.net" suffix.

Message 8 of 9 (2,171 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 9 of 9 (2,169 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.