can somebody help me with some minor issues

Tutor

can somebody help me with some minor issues

Hello---can someone help me with a couple minor tech issues--I am a techno idiot. I finished the migration process to the new dial up earlier this week (cable service is spotty in my location, otherwise I would not bother with dial-up at home.) When I call AT&T for help, even if I manage to get through they re-route and re-route my call, if I get someone alive to answer, they tell me I don't have an account (same deal with the live chat service.) I've been an At&T customer for over 11 years with bundled long-distance and internet service. Anyway, does anyone know if they will have an accelerator, right now service is real slow. Also, my home page does not load automatically after connecting like it did with worldnet. Anybody know how I can fix that? Would also like to keep the connection box open on the desktop while I browse, when I connect it disappears (does not stay open and icon does not appear on the lower bar like before.) So right now when I connect I have to click internet explorer icon on desktop to get my home page to load, didn't have to do that before. Never had service problems like this before, maybe they are overwhelmed. Thank you.
Message 1 of 12 (418 Views)
Lithium Technologies

Re: can somebody help me with some minor issues

Hi Terry,

What state are you in, so I can have a technical support agent help you out?

Thanks! 

Trey

Message 2 of 12 (418 Views)
Tutor

I am in Pennsylvania. Tried the live chat thing again last night and after 10 minutes of "I'll try to help" and "sorry for the incovenience" the agent says he/she can't access my acount, this has happened at least four times. Seems if I call worldnet they know who I am, but can't help me and tell me to call 1-866-722-3435. When I call that number I'm told they can't access my account.
Message 3 of 12 (418 Views)

Good luck ATT help is useless! I did the migration, final stumbled onto the new access numbers that my new username and password would work on. All the help wanted to do is keep changing my password. Final asked for a manager and he walked me through setting up a new dialup connection. Luckly I notice he had given me a new access number. I search all over my.att.net and couldn't find it. Finally search for bellsouth access numbers and found the listing. Same with POP mail servers, the one listed were for att.yahoo.net when I needed isp.att.net. Now I'm trying to find the download page for the accelerator, because they haven't mailed me the new CD. But nobody evens knows what I'm talking about. The offshore help is USELESS
Message 4 of 12 (418 Views)
Employee

Hi terry!

I am sorry that you got bounced around while trying to get technical assistance. It may help the agents to pull up and verify your account by providing them with the AT&T email ID you registered for the dial up service.

The AT&T Accelerator download is available only to AT&T Internet Service customers, and it is not available for Macintosh computers. Kindly follow these steps to download and install the AT&T Accelerator which can help increase your Internet browsing speed:

1. Connect to the Internet through your AT&T Internet connection.
2. Go to www.att.com/esupport/accelerator website. You will see the AT&T Accelerator Technology download page.
3. Click the Download Now button.
4. Click either the Run button or the *Save button.

*If you saved the installer file, navigate to the location where it was downloaded and double-click the att_accelerator icon to begin the installation.

NOTE: AT&T Accelerator includes an extension that automatically configures Mozilla Firefox to work with Accelerator. If you are using Firefox, you will see a screen prompting you to install the extension.

5. Follow the steps in the Installation Wizard. On the End User License Agreement page, click the Accept button.
6. Click Next through the remaining screens until the Please Reboot... screen displays.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12 (418 Views)
Employee

terry wrote:
Would also like to keep the connection box open on the desktop while I browse, when I connect it disappears (does not stay open and icon does not appear on the lower bar like before.) So right now when I connect I have to click internet explorer icon on desktop to get my home page to load, didn't have to do that before.

I believe you want a shortcut for the dial up connection to be placed on the desktop. If you are using a WinXP computer, you may follow these steps:
1. Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Network Connections or Network And Internet Connections (then click Network Connections).
2. Right-click on your AT&T dial up connection, and hit Create A Shortcut.
3. Click YES on the pop-up window.

Every time the computer starts up, you need to connect to the dial up service first before accessing your homepage on Internet Explorer.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 12 (418 Views)
Tutor

Hi, Kelly--that's not what I want to do. On the previous Worldnet, I clicked on the connection manager box and my home page automatically loaded after the connection began. Now I have to use two steps, first dial in from the connection manager and then click on the shortcut I have for my home page. I want the home page to load automatically like before. Do you have a magic phone number where someone ALIVE will answer; the customer service in the past two weeks is simply INTOLERABLE. IF I get through I still get bounced around and I am trying to get some billing questions answered. Your company needs to give its call-center employees a U.S. atlas; today I got through to someone in Canada who tried to transfer me to someone in Indiana because it "was close" to Pennsylvania. Last week an agent forwarded my call to Connecticut . I have NEVER experienced such rotten customer service.
Message 7 of 12 (418 Views)
Scholar

Try this number for AT&T Dial up tech support 800.436.8638, IVR Option 1

Message 8 of 12 (418 Views)
Tutor

Terry, Did you ever get an answer or figure out how to get HomePage loaded automatically, like on Worldnet. ? I have same problem.. and ..I agree ATT.net Tech support is incredibly ignorant on many basic issues.
Message 9 of 12 (418 Views)
Tutor

No, never did figure it out or get any help from AT&T.... I gave up when I got some tech in the Philippines, actually got him by mistake but he did answer a billing question....I just created a shortcut for the home page and just click on that after I connect.....I found the download for the accelerator on this forum (thank you to Jerry).....I'm usually pretty good at figuring out stuff on my own, but this home page thing has me stumped......I feel like I'm in that movie "Groundhog Day" whenever I talk to anybody at AT&T.....after I migrated I could NOT log-in to member services any more and could get NO help from any of the numbers posted here.....so, in desperation I called AT&T wireless (my cell phone provider) and a nice young woman walked me through changing my password (go figure, I thought the wireless and internet were separate entities)......anyway, the connection seems to be much faster than Worldnet, I'm holding my breath that everything won't crash on March 15 and hoping that someday cable will be more reliable in my area. If anybody has this home page thing worked out, please post.
Message 10 of 12 (418 Views)
Mentor

Terry,

I recently converted also.

.....The new AT&T Dial -up software, does *not* have an option to automatically Launch Internet Explorer (your home page), whereas the old worldnet software had this option. I guess we have to get use to clicking the Internet Explorer Browser shortcut, separately, after dialing-up.
Message 11 of 12 (145 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

To set it up where all got to do is go to contol panel > internet options > connections > high lite - dial whenever network connection is not present  then high light the dial up you use in the panal above .

kclick ok . then reboot  , then just click on your web browser and it will dial the connection and pull up your save home page .

Message 12 of 12 (145 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.