Wow your internet service is terrible

Contributor

Wow your internet service is terrible

Well my family and I just moved to Columbus, Ohio and since Verizon (a significantly superior DSL company to AT&T) wasn't available in our area we decided to go with AT&T. Boy this was a mistake. The internet constantly loses connection often and it is completely on AT&T's end. We've ran all new phone wiring through the house with brand new phone jacks and all the phones have filters yet the internet still loses connection with the modem. If AT&T cannot keep up with the demand of the internet I would love to know so that I can switch now from this very terrible service. I guess we should have went with roadrunner like we were originally going to. Oh lets not even mention the terrible pricing for the terrible internet speeds given. We pay $36 a month for the lowest level phone service and a 1.1 mbps internet connection. This company is a joke and I would not reccommend there internet to anybody.

Message 1 of 22 (887 Views)
Contributor

Re: Wow your internet service is terrible

I agree completely.  I live in the south Chicago suburbs, and our At&t dsl internet has been down for 33 hours straight now.  I called the customer service number when I got home from work yesterday, (it had been out for about 16 hours at this point) and I was told that it was a "regional problem" and that it should be resolved within 4 hours.  I told the representative that 4 hours was unacceptable, so he started talking me through the "standard troubleshooting" procedures, which involved me changing my computer's network connectivity settings and resetting the modem.  When the modem was reset, the internet light was still out, yet the representative somehow seemed surprised that the computer still would not load any web pages.  I know enough about computers and modems to know that the problem had nothing to do with the home network connection, so why waste my time with that?  After that, he stated again that it was a regional problem and that it was being resolved and that was about it.  This is not an isolated incident, either.  Earlier this month the internet was down for 10-12 hours, but it was mostly overnight so I wasn't nearly as upset.  These experiences have proven that At&t does not care about their customers whatsoever.  That "troubleshooting" nonsense is a complete waste of time when they KNOW they are to blame for the problem, and the time they tell the customers to expect the problem to be resolved is contrived just to try and keep them happy.  Fortunately, Verizon's dsl service IS available in our area, and we will be switching immediatley. 

Also, Verizon's cell phone network is MUCH better than At&t's was.  I already made that switch and have not looked back.

Message 2 of 22 (887 Views)
Highlighted

I agree, our internet was been cutting out for about 3 weeks now. We've contacted AT&T around a dozens time. The even sent a tech out to the house that couldn't find the problem. You are lucky to stay connected more than 5min at a time. They try to blame it on the house or the wiring. Yesterday we went and bought a new modem, phone jack and phone wiring, we ran new wire under the house from the box to the modem. Still no change so proves it's a issue on AT&T's end. FIX IT!

We pay for a 6mbps connection and cant even use it, I better be getting some $$ taken off my next bill!

Message 3 of 22 (887 Views)
Employee

Hello davidu,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing with this issue.

There was an outage in your area that has now been resolved. Hence, I would suggest you check if you are able to access your AT&T Internet services or not.

If the services doesn't work, please perform a powere cycle and check if all the cables are connected properly or not.

If the issue persists, it is recommeded that you contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommedation, if require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line.

Please bear with us.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 22 (887 Views)
Employee

Hello Dougr,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. 

Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, I would suggest you to check the factor that may effect the Internet connection is your house, you may visit the mentioned below to find the troubleshooting steps to reduce the factors of intermittent connection issue:

http://attdsl.lithium.com/t5/Internet/DSL-keeps-dropping-Every-5-10min/td-p/7151

After trying all the troubleshooting steps posted in the link mentioned above, if the issue persists,  it is recommended that you contact AT&T Technical help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation if require they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and help you accordingly.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 22 (887 Views)
Contributor

I am experiencing the exact issues as Dougr.  This is NOT what I would refer to as high-speed DSL.  We can't stream media on any of our laptops and I have to reboot the DSL modem at least 4 times daily.  My wife is furious that I switched from Roadrunner and I am beginning to regret that move myself.  Problem is, TWC raises prices at will and their service, although faster, is lousy as well and their HD picture quality stinks.  I switched to DirecTV and am quite pleased with improved television service but have to settle for AT&T as the only bundle option in my area.

Message 6 of 22 (887 Views)

atleast they gave you a time. I was informed we have an outage (I have been experiencing problems a week) and they could not even give me an estimate to how long it would take to have fixed. When I asked if my bill would be adjusted accordingly, she sounded surprised I would even ask such a thing.
Message 7 of 22 (887 Views)

[Keep It Courteous] ...period.  i have been a customer of theirs since 2005 just for internet and been a customer of theirs since 97 for my phone.  first they talk me into buying a new modem from them at 100.00 and did not give me my rebate of 20.00 and then of course the service went up from 19.95 a month to 24.95 then after only 5 months they offer new subscribers the same service for 24.95 and a 100.00 rebate and raise my service to 30.00,  I persume to cover their promotions.  they can raise my rate any friggin time they want and as much as they want ... they are pathetic to charge a long time customer more to get new customers that they can screw in a month and raise their stupid rates.  i told this story to a rep from u.s. cellular phone company and they thought it was soooooo very wrong.  and i have been with u.s. cellular for 5 years and will never change. I KNOW WHAT I AM GETTING WITH THEM.  [Keep It Courteous]

Message 8 of 22 (887 Views)
Contributor

Hey everyone....don't worry...AT&T is constantly upgrading.   Translation:  We don't have a clue what we're doing here folks, we're just wingin' it.  But keep those checks and credit cards coming, we need the money to screw with you more while we upgrade.

Message 9 of 22 (887 Views)

add me to the list of people hating the evil empire

Message 10 of 22 (887 Views)
Contributor

I just tried to open the link mentioned above in hopes it would have help for me.  It is the site map for the AT&T website.  After about 8 bad guesses as to where the troubleshooting information might be, I gave up.  It seems kind of like giving somebody a dictionary and telling them they can find all the world's great literature in there. 

Message 11 of 22 (444 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello RickinLoganvill,

Please accept my sincerest apology.

Regarding the AT&T website where you can find the troubleshooting information, you can actually access it through this link http://www.att.com/esupport You need to click the support tab and select the type of service you signed up from AT&T. In the upper right hand, there is a search box where you can ask a question and it will provide you results for the corresponding solutions about your issue. In the left side corner, there are categories or support topics as well that you can select depending on your issue.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

Thank you for choosing AT&T Internet Services where we value your business.

Message 12 of 22 (444 Views)
Teacher

I was a bellsouth/at&t customer for almost 15 years.  As of 8 years ago, my bill was $45 with long distance.  A couple of months ago, when I really realized I was now paying $62 without long distance and without MANY of the features Ma Bell used to provide (including customer service that speaks English and has any idea what they're talking about), I said eff it.  I've now gone strictly cellular despite being on the outer edge of any tower's range simply to get away from at&t.

They got out of the local telco business once because they couldn't handle it.  Umm.... Duh?

Message 13 of 22 (444 Views)

you know its a great service when comcasts dial up is faster then at and t's dsl

Message 14 of 22 (444 Views)
Contributor

Internet service is great!!!

Message 15 of 22 (444 Views)