Internet Forums

Posted Oct 2, 2009
8:32:00 AM
View profile
Wireless router keeps losing connection
I am having a problem with my wireless router. About 2 months ago, everytime I turn either my desktop or laptop off for more than one hour, I lose connection with the internet until I turn off my modem & unplug my router After rebooting, every thing is fine til the next time. My router is a Netgear wireless N router WNR854T, the AT&T modem is a speedstream 5100. I had no problems with this setup for over a year. I tried updating the wireless router to the latest firmware, but the problem remains. Anyone with Ideas out there? One other thing if I connect either computer directly to the modem I have no prblems.
I am having a problem with my wireless router. About 2 months ago, everytime I turn either my desktop or laptop off for more than one hour, I lose connection with the internet until I turn off my modem & unplug my router After rebooting, every thing is fine til the next time. My router is a Netgear wireless N router WNR854T, the AT&T modem is a speedstream 5100. I had no problems with this setup for over a year. I tried updating the wireless router to the latest firmware, but the problem remains. Anyone with Ideas out there? One other thing if I connect either computer directly to the modem I have no prblems.

Wireless router keeps losing connection

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 4:31:45 PM
(0)
Employee
maybe the wireless network cards going to sleep? If the computers in question work fine just wired right to the modem then you have pretty much eliminated the DSL as your problem and proved your wireless has the problem.
maybe the wireless network cards going to sleep? If the computers in question work fine just wired right to the modem then you have pretty much eliminated the DSL as your problem and proved your wireless has the problem.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Wireless router keeps losing connection

2 of 6 (4,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2009 6:21:33 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks David for your input. I have purchased another router. The Geek squad guy confirmed your solution. Additionally he suggested I purchase a low cost battery backup. His opinion was that routers are very sensitive to line voltage variations and often fail in 1.5 to 2 years with out a battery backup which also smooths the voltage variations. Tireman1030.
Thanks David for your input. I have purchased another router. The Geek squad guy confirmed your solution. Additionally he suggested I purchase a low cost battery backup. His opinion was that routers are very sensitive to line voltage variations and often fail in 1.5 to 2 years with out a battery backup which also smooths the voltage variations. Tireman1030.

3 of 6 (4,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 10:23:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well add me to the list of stumped customers.  It REALLY is aggravating ... almost as much as paying my bill for this mediocre service is.

Well add me to the list of stumped customers.  It REALLY is aggravating ... almost as much as paying my bill for this mediocre service is.

4 of 6 (3,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 10:25:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I need to add that this is a brand new uverse internet account with router included, and ALL laptops lose wireless and wired connectivity several times a day, at the same time.

I need to add that this is a brand new uverse internet account with router included, and ALL laptops lose wireless and wired connectivity several times a day, at the same time.

5 of 6 (3,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2011 8:03:33 AM
(0)
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

6 of 6 (3,286 Views)