Helpful Links

What to do about SLOW speed....

Contributor

What to do about SLOW speed....

First off, I live in Oklahoma and I'm paying for elite pakage. So why I am getting this?
really, not to mention the 150gb cap. Over the past year and a half. I've been uploading all of my personal file online incase my external hard drives fail. It's over 300gb of data and I can't even get it unless I span it out over 3 months or so. This is rubbish, I can't even watch youtube video without it stop and load every 10 seconds on 360p or let alone 240p. Do something AT&T or I'm switching to another ISP that doesn't have cap or slow internet from 7am to 7am the next day for over 3 months. ><

Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: What to do about SLOW speed....

I have had the same issues.. and to top it off.  You can NEVER get a hold of ANYONE to actually help with the situation.  I live in CA, also have elite, and my speeds barely EVER top 1MB.  

Totally the worst customer service i have ever experienced!

I've chatted with a techie online, but they can only go so far, basically nowhere, and refer you to phone help which i can never get thru because of darn "...Due to the popularity of ATT online products.. we are experiencing a large call volume" ..popularity my {word filter evasion}.  I was actually even referred to leave a message on this darn forum and that the "Concerns Department" would get back to me.  {word filter evasion}

it would be helpful if there was just a freaking email address that I could send my concerns too instead of holding my breath that someone will actually get back to me.  I want to complain to corporate but sadly, I have no idea how to get a hold of them lol... Hopefully this thread has set off enought flags to be reviewed.  If you hear or have heard anything regarding your issue, please post back...

Message 2 of 38
Contributor

Zakiel,

I have been seeing the same issue for the past two weeks at least.  I live in San Jose, same as the server.  I'm supposed to be getting 6MB/s but instead I get this (I have included results from AT&T's own speed test so that they cannot claim that the results are due to 3rd party SW)

Clipboard01.png

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

AT&T, please do something to resolve this issue.  I do not believe that this can be blamed on computer speed, browser, router, as you usually try to do because these are two completely different cases and I don't think that we are the only users with this problem.

Message 3 of 38
Contributor

It is also not my hardwares fault. I tried 2 routers and modems in the past 3 weeks and it's the same slow speed as before. What's the point of paying for highspeed internet if you can't even ultilize 60% of it? At this poing, switching to cox with their Premier package that have 25mbps download speed and NO CAP seems really good. So I can finally stream Netflix in 1080p.

Message 4 of 38
Teacher

Yes, i am also a customer with ATT and have the 6.0mbps Elite plan (dryloop), the speeds are unbearable, i'm planning on switching to another provider if this does not get sorted out soon. I've called ATT countless amounts of times, they've run their tests and found no problems. They sent out a tech, he checked the outside box, and replaced a cable because it was "shredding" but explained that it wouldn't make much difference. If there is no problem with my end and the tech has confirmed that, there is clearly a problem with ATT's end, and this is getting to be completely ridiculous. The only time i get suitable speeds is around 3-5am, and then the rest of the day is just slow, and laggy. It's been going on all summer. Fix this ATT, i know i'm not the only one with this problem, you will be losing a lot of customers if this isn't taken care of.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Quit trying to hide the truth about your lack of support.

Message 5 of 38
Contributor

I'm new to these forums, although I've had Bellsouth/AT&T DSL for over five years. I notice lots of "keep it relevant" notations on here...not just this post. So, out of curiosity, why is this? Are folks not "allowed" to speak freely here?

However, I digress. I've never really had speed issues until recently. So I'm interested in helpful tips as well.
Message 6 of 38
Mentor

Your download speeds are below what would be considered "acceptable" for a connection that runs at 6.0Mbps. The first thing I would want to know about would be the DSL statisics from your modem's user interface. You're gonna look for something with a list like this:
Data Rate (kbps) XXX XXX
SNR Margin (dB) XX.X XX.X
Line Attenuation (dB) XX.X XX.X
Output power (dBm) XX.X XX.X
Loss of signal X XXX
Loss of frame X X
CRC Errors XXX XXX

You can get to the page that displays that information by going to the user interface of your DSL modem and looking for "Troubleshooting" or "Diagnostics" or something worded like that. I can't say for sure because each brand of modem is a little different. I can tell you this much, if you got your DSL modem from AT&T then you can get to the user interface by typing this address in your browser's address bar (http://192.168.1.254) if you have an AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B then you can get to the diagnostics section of the user interface by typing this (http://192.168.1.245/mdc). Once you get that information, post it here and we'll take a look at your connection.
Message 7 of 38
Teacher

Lol, this is garbage, are you ever going to fix this ATT? I'm on the verge of just dropping all service with you.

Message 8 of 38
Mentor

I was replying to your post in good faith, trying to help a fellow Internet user because it can be hard to find help sometimes. I wasn't representing AT&T in any way.
Message 9 of 38
Teacher

I was not replying to you cb6614, i was replying to the thread in hopes that this thread stays alive and ATT will actually take a look and reply.
Message 10 of 38
Mentor

Oops, my mistake. Well if that doesn't work out for you a well as we hope, I'll be glad to try and help you figure out whats causing the problem. Good luck to you.
Message 11 of 38
Teacher

Just an update... still getting garbage speeds, and the ping is still outrageous, only happens when it's around this time.

Message 12 of 38
Mentor

AT&T wants to run some off..and couldn't care less for the ones that stay and put up with the poor service. Just another example of a huge company that's too big and needs to be taken down a notch or two.

Message 13 of 38
Contributor

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1420901793.png

^Lower than 98% of America, LOL!

I just got a new modem because I was thinking it would be the modem. AT&T has usually been good to me with slow speed but stable ping, but this is just ridiculous. If I don't get this fixed soon I think I'll just switch to Comcast.

Tags (1)
  • Tags:
Message 14 of 38
Teacher

Yes, i'm on the verge of moving over to comcast as well, however i doubt ATT cares about their customers, they probably don't even have the decency to look at this forum.

Message 15 of 38
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support