Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jul 31, 2011
1:06:50 PM
View profile
What to do about SLOW speed....

First off, I live in Oklahoma and I'm paying for elite pakage. So why I am getting this?
really, not to mention the 150gb cap. Over the past year and a half. I've been uploading all of my personal file online incase my external hard drives fail. It's over 300gb of data and I can't even get it unless I span it out over 3 months or so. This is rubbish, I can't even watch youtube video without it stop and load every 10 seconds on 360p or let alone 240p. Do something AT&T or I'm switching to another ISP that doesn't have cap or slow internet from 7am to 7am the next day for over 3 months. ><

First off, I live in Oklahoma and I'm paying for elite pakage. So why I am getting this?
really, not to mention the 150gb cap. Over the past year and a half. I've been uploading all of my personal file online incase my external hard drives fail. It's over 300gb of data and I can't even get it unless I span it out over 3 months or so. This is rubbish, I can't even watch youtube video without it stop and load every 10 seconds on 360p or let alone 240p. Do something AT&T or I'm switching to another ISP that doesn't have cap or slow internet from 7am to 7am the next day for over 3 months. ><

What to do about SLOW speed....

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 2:47:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 31, 2011 at 3:54:46 PM

I have had the same issues.. and to top it off.  You can NEVER get a hold of ANYONE to actually help with the situation.  I live in CA, also have elite, and my speeds barely EVER top 1MB.  

Totally the worst customer service i have ever experienced!

I've chatted with a techie online, but they can only go so far, basically nowhere, and refer you to phone help which i can never get thru because of darn "...Due to the popularity of ATT online products.. we are experiencing a large call volume" ..popularity my {word filter evasion}.  I was actually even referred to leave a message on this darn forum and that the "Concerns Department" would get back to me.  {word filter evasion}

it would be helpful if there was just a freaking email address that I could send my concerns too instead of holding my breath that someone will actually get back to me.  I want to complain to corporate but sadly, I have no idea how to get a hold of them lol... Hopefully this thread has set off enought flags to be reviewed.  If you hear or have heard anything regarding your issue, please post back...

I have had the same issues.. and to top it off.  You can NEVER get a hold of ANYONE to actually help with the situation.  I live in CA, also have elite, and my speeds barely EVER top 1MB.  

Totally the worst customer service i have ever experienced!

I've chatted with a techie online, but they can only go so far, basically nowhere, and refer you to phone help which i can never get thru because of darn "...Due to the popularity of ATT online products.. we are experiencing a large call volume" ..popularity my {word filter evasion}.  I was actually even referred to leave a message on this darn forum and that the "Concerns Department" would get back to me.  {word filter evasion}

it would be helpful if there was just a freaking email address that I could send my concerns too instead of holding my breath that someone will actually get back to me.  I want to complain to corporate but sadly, I have no idea how to get a hold of them lol... Hopefully this thread has set off enought flags to be reviewed.  If you hear or have heard anything regarding your issue, please post back...

Re: What to do about SLOW speed....

[ Edited ]
2 of 38 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 3:10:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 31, 2011 at 3:56:15 PM

Zakiel,

I have been seeing the same issue for the past two weeks at least.  I live in San Jose, same as the server.  I'm supposed to be getting 6MB/s but instead I get this (I have included results from AT&T's own speed test so that they cannot claim that the results are due to 3rd party SW)

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

AT&T, please do something to resolve this issue.  I do not believe that this can be blamed on computer speed, browser, router, as you usually try to do because these are two completely different cases and I don't think that we are the only users with this problem.

Zakiel,

I have been seeing the same issue for the past two weeks at least.  I live in San Jose, same as the server.  I'm supposed to be getting 6MB/s but instead I get this (I have included results from AT&T's own speed test so that they cannot claim that the results are due to 3rd party SW)

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

AT&T, please do something to resolve this issue.  I do not believe that this can be blamed on computer speed, browser, router, as you usually try to do because these are two completely different cases and I don't think that we are the only users with this problem.

[ Edited ]
3 of 38 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 4:15:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by zakiel on Jul 31, 2011 at 4:15:36 PM

It is also not my hardwares fault. I tried 2 routers and modems in the past 3 weeks and it's the same slow speed as before. What's the point of paying for highspeed internet if you can't even ultilize 60% of it? At this poing, switching to cox with their Premier package that have 25mbps download speed and NO CAP seems really good. So I can finally stream Netflix in 1080p.

It is also not my hardwares fault. I tried 2 routers and modems in the past 3 weeks and it's the same slow speed as before. What's the point of paying for highspeed internet if you can't even ultilize 60% of it? At this poing, switching to cox with their Premier package that have 25mbps download speed and NO CAP seems really good. So I can finally stream Netflix in 1080p.

[ Edited ]
4 of 38 (1,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 7:04:57 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:13:29 PM

Yes, i am also a customer with ATT and have the 6.0mbps Elite plan (dryloop), the speeds are unbearable, i'm planning on switching to another provider if this does not get sorted out soon. I've called ATT countless amounts of times, they've run their tests and found no problems. They sent out a tech, he checked the outside box, and replaced a cable because it was "shredding" but explained that it wouldn't make much difference. If there is no problem with my end and the tech has confirmed that, there is clearly a problem with ATT's end, and this is getting to be completely ridiculous. The only time i get suitable speeds is around 3-5am, and then the rest of the day is just slow, and laggy. It's been going on all summer. Fix this ATT, i know i'm not the only one with this problem, you will be losing a lot of customers if this isn't taken care of.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Quit trying to hide the truth about your lack of support.

Yes, i am also a customer with ATT and have the 6.0mbps Elite plan (dryloop), the speeds are unbearable, i'm planning on switching to another provider if this does not get sorted out soon. I've called ATT countless amounts of times, they've run their tests and found no problems. They sent out a tech, he checked the outside box, and replaced a cable because it was "shredding" but explained that it wouldn't make much difference. If there is no problem with my end and the tech has confirmed that, there is clearly a problem with ATT's end, and this is getting to be completely ridiculous. The only time i get suitable speeds is around 3-5am, and then the rest of the day is just slow, and laggy. It's been going on all summer. Fix this ATT, i know i'm not the only one with this problem, you will be losing a lot of customers if this isn't taken care of.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Quit trying to hide the truth about your lack of support.

[ Edited ]
5 of 38 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 9:01:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm new to these forums, although I've had Bellsouth/AT&T DSL for over five years. I notice lots of "keep it relevant" notations on here...not just this post. So, out of curiosity, why is this? Are folks not "allowed" to speak freely here?

However, I digress. I've never really had speed issues until recently. So I'm interested in helpful tips as well.
I'm new to these forums, although I've had Bellsouth/AT&T DSL for over five years. I notice lots of "keep it relevant" notations on here...not just this post. So, out of curiosity, why is this? Are folks not "allowed" to speak freely here?

However, I digress. I've never really had speed issues until recently. So I'm interested in helpful tips as well.

6 of 38 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 7:34:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Your download speeds are below what would be considered "acceptable" for a connection that runs at 6.0Mbps. The first thing I would want to know about would be the DSL statisics from your modem's user interface. You're gonna look for something with a list like this:
Data Rate (kbps) XXX XXX
SNR Margin (dB) XX.X XX.X
Line Attenuation (dB) XX.X XX.X
Output power (dBm) XX.X XX.X
Loss of signal X XXX
Loss of frame X X
CRC Errors XXX XXX

You can get to the page that displays that information by going to the user interface of your DSL modem and looking for "Troubleshooting" or "Diagnostics" or something worded like that. I can't say for sure because each brand of modem is a little different. I can tell you this much, if you got your DSL modem from AT&T then you can get to the user interface by typing this address in your browser's address bar (http://192.168.1.254) if you have an AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B then you can get to the diagnostics section of the user interface by typing this (http://192.168.1.245/mdc). Once you get that information, post it here and we'll take a look at your connection.
Your download speeds are below what would be considered "acceptable" for a connection that runs at 6.0Mbps. The first thing I would want to know about would be the DSL statisics from your modem's user interface. You're gonna look for something with a list like this:
Data Rate (kbps) XXX XXX
SNR Margin (dB) XX.X XX.X
Line Attenuation (dB) XX.X XX.X
Output power (dBm) XX.X XX.X
Loss of signal X XXX
Loss of frame X X
CRC Errors XXX XXX

You can get to the page that displays that information by going to the user interface of your DSL modem and looking for "Troubleshooting" or "Diagnostics" or something worded like that. I can't say for sure because each brand of modem is a little different. I can tell you this much, if you got your DSL modem from AT&T then you can get to the user interface by typing this address in your browser's address bar (http://192.168.1.254) if you have an AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B then you can get to the diagnostics section of the user interface by typing this (http://192.168.1.245/mdc). Once you get that information, post it here and we'll take a look at your connection.

7 of 38 (1,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 10:09:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

Lol, this is garbage, are you ever going to fix this ATT? I'm on the verge of just dropping all service with you.

Lol, this is garbage, are you ever going to fix this ATT? I'm on the verge of just dropping all service with you.

8 of 38 (1,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 10:49:08 PM
(0)
Mentor
I was replying to your post in good faith, trying to help a fellow Internet user because it can be hard to find help sometimes. I wasn't representing AT&T in any way.
I was replying to your post in good faith, trying to help a fellow Internet user because it can be hard to find help sometimes. I wasn't representing AT&T in any way.

9 of 38 (1,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 11:15:11 PM
(0)
Teacher
I was not replying to you cb6614, i was replying to the thread in hopes that this thread stays alive and ATT will actually take a look and reply.
I was not replying to you cb6614, i was replying to the thread in hopes that this thread stays alive and ATT will actually take a look and reply.

10 of 38 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 11:18:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Oops, my mistake. Well if that doesn't work out for you a well as we hope, I'll be glad to try and help you figure out whats causing the problem. Good luck to you.
Oops, my mistake. Well if that doesn't work out for you a well as we hope, I'll be glad to try and help you figure out whats causing the problem. Good luck to you.

11 of 38 (1,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 8:00:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by upsetuser on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:04:04 PM

Just an update... still getting garbage speeds, and the ping is still outrageous, only happens when it's around this time.

Just an update... still getting garbage speeds, and the ping is still outrageous, only happens when it's around this time.

[ Edited ]
12 of 38 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2011 8:30:40 AM
(0)
Explorer

AT&T wants to run some off..and couldn't care less for the ones that stay and put up with the poor service. Just another example of a huge company that's too big and needs to be taken down a notch or two.

AT&T wants to run some off..and couldn't care less for the ones that stay and put up with the poor service. Just another example of a huge company that's too big and needs to be taken down a notch or two.

13 of 38 (1,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 6:50:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1420901793.png

^Lower than 98% of America, LOL!

I just got a new modem because I was thinking it would be the modem. AT&T has usually been good to me with slow speed but stable ping, but this is just ridiculous. If I don't get this fixed soon I think I'll just switch to Comcast.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1420901793.png

^Lower than 98% of America, LOL!

I just got a new modem because I was thinking it would be the modem. AT&T has usually been good to me with slow speed but stable ping, but this is just ridiculous. If I don't get this fixed soon I think I'll just switch to Comcast.

14 of 38 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 8:42:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, i'm on the verge of moving over to comcast as well, however i doubt ATT cares about their customers, they probably don't even have the decency to look at this forum.

Yes, i'm on the verge of moving over to comcast as well, however i doubt ATT cares about their customers, they probably don't even have the decency to look at this forum.

15 of 38 (1,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 9:45:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Have you had the chance to look into the router's diagnosiocs screen? I'll bet the SNR is very low, also if the modem's plugged into a surge protector can cause slow speeds. The reason I say check at the modem is because if the modem's data rate is like 8000Kbps but you're getting slow speeds, then it's something on a machine. Or if you've called several times for intermittent connectivity, support would have put a "noise profile" on the line for stability and that would cause latency too.
Have you had the chance to look into the router's diagnosiocs screen? I'll bet the SNR is very low, also if the modem's plugged into a surge protector can cause slow speeds. The reason I say check at the modem is because if the modem's data rate is like 8000Kbps but you're getting slow speeds, then it's something on a machine. Or if you've called several times for intermittent connectivity, support would have put a "noise profile" on the line for stability and that would cause latency too.

16 of 38 (1,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 9:25:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Like i said, it happens at later times, and then it will drop to normal speeds. If there was a problem with my modem, wouldn't it always be happening?

My speeds are slow during peak times, and they get insanely slow (as shown in images). I'd be glad if it was my modem causing the problem, but i know it's not. ATT is not able to uphold their speeds.

Like i said, it happens at later times, and then it will drop to normal speeds. If there was a problem with my modem, wouldn't it always be happening?

My speeds are slow during peak times, and they get insanely slow (as shown in images). I'd be glad if it was my modem causing the problem, but i know it's not. ATT is not able to uphold their speeds.

17 of 38 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 10:12:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
If it's slow speeds during "peak" times then there could be a bandwidth issue. You really need to find out what your sync rate is at the modem. Check the "upstream" and "downstream" data rates at the modem's user interface during "off peak" times and compare them to the rates during "on peak" times. Those kinds of issues are usually difficult to identify because there's usually no issue when you call tech support and they run the port stats. It's even harder for a field tech to diagnose the issue because they're usually dispatched during "off peak" times. Your best bet would be to get someone at the helpdesk to take "ownership" of the issue and have the network group run a 24-48 hour port study to diagnose the problem.
If it's slow speeds during "peak" times then there could be a bandwidth issue. You really need to find out what your sync rate is at the modem. Check the "upstream" and "downstream" data rates at the modem's user interface during "off peak" times and compare them to the rates during "on peak" times. Those kinds of issues are usually difficult to identify because there's usually no issue when you call tech support and they run the port stats. It's even harder for a field tech to diagnose the issue because they're usually dispatched during "off peak" times. Your best bet would be to get someone at the helpdesk to take "ownership" of the issue and have the network group run a 24-48 hour port study to diagnose the problem.

18 of 38 (1,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 3:03:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

When speaking with a rep, they said that they were going to monitor the connection for the next few days and then call me if they found any problems. I didn't receive a call, so i presume there was nothing wrong on my end. Like i said a tech came by and checked everything and found no problems either.

It's not just myself with these problems, a lot of other people are having them, i doubt it's everyones modems...

When speaking with a rep, they said that they were going to monitor the connection for the next few days and then call me if they found any problems. I didn't receive a call, so i presume there was nothing wrong on my end. Like i said a tech came by and checked everything and found no problems either.

It's not just myself with these problems, a lot of other people are having them, i doubt it's everyones modems...

19 of 38 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 7:47:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

-.-

-.-

20 of 38 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 8:44:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just got off the phone with support and put in a cancellation for this pathetic service. Should end at the end of the month, i suggest you all do the same.

Comcast here i come!

Just got off the phone with support and put in a cancellation for this pathetic service. Should end at the end of the month, i suggest you all do the same.

Comcast here i come!

21 of 38 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 8:26:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

upsetuser, I was having a similar experience. Even lower than your speeds most of the time. In fact my 3G speed was 4 times as fast as wi-fi at home.  Ethernet speed was almost as slow.  I even had my laptop checked out. After talking with AT&T tech support numerous times and getting silly answers like saying other people being online in my neighborhood was slowing it down, and not being able to even load web pages, I made the decision to switch to Comcast. I have no love for Comcast, believe me. DSL is slower, but it's more reliable and the speeds had been acceptable. I could watch a movie wthout any trouble. I had switched to DSL because of the constant outages and no solution.

Before the Comcast installer came out (yes, it takes about 5 days for a service appointment) I figured out what the problem actually was. I had downloaded the Google Music Beta and it was trying to upload my music files. After 2 days, I checked it and found only about 150 songs had been uploaded, so I decided it wasn't ever going to get finished and I Quit it.

I  THOUGHT. What I later found out is that it continued to upload in the background, slowing my service to a crawl. It would take hours to download an audio file. It was nearly impossible to send a photo or pdf attachment unless I used 3G (which has a very low cap compared to DSL.)

I use a Mac. If an app is running, it's supposed to show up in the dock with a glowing oval under it, or as an icon in the menu bar. This one didn't. I finally checked Activity Monitor (somethng a casual Mac user really shouldn't need to do or even know about) and found it was still running and was using most of my memory.   I had to Google "How to uninstall Google Music Beta." It would not quit by closing it, even though it asked me if I was sure and I said yes.

Bottom line is that if AT&T DSL tech support had been somewhat armed with technical information, they could have saved the company a customer. I now have Comcast internet. I got a good introductory price, but also had to reset the modem almost every day. Another technician came out and said the last guy did everything wrong (that is usually what happens!) and now my service is reliable -- at least for a week. I've also gone from always being under 3.0 down and .80 up average to speeds ranging from 12-20 down and  4-6 up. 

One thing that I truly dislike is that AT&T DSL tech support is outsourced overseas. Besides the poor call quality and the language barrier, these 3rd party customers have no true vested interest in the customer relationship. Their customer is AT&T, not the user. Why should they do more than keep up the stats on number of calls? When I called to cancel, I never said it was because tech support failed to figure out my problem. I just said the speeds were not acceptable. If anyone from AT&T support is reading this, maybe they will realize that some accounts that leave are the fault of poor support. 

upsetuser, I was having a similar experience. Even lower than your speeds most of the time. In fact my 3G speed was 4 times as fast as wi-fi at home.  Ethernet speed was almost as slow.  I even had my laptop checked out. After talking with AT&T tech support numerous times and getting silly answers like saying other people being online in my neighborhood was slowing it down, and not being able to even load web pages, I made the decision to switch to Comcast. I have no love for Comcast, believe me. DSL is slower, but it's more reliable and the speeds had been acceptable. I could watch a movie wthout any trouble. I had switched to DSL because of the constant outages and no solution.

Before the Comcast installer came out (yes, it takes about 5 days for a service appointment) I figured out what the problem actually was. I had downloaded the Google Music Beta and it was trying to upload my music files. After 2 days, I checked it and found only about 150 songs had been uploaded, so I decided it wasn't ever going to get finished and I Quit it.

I  THOUGHT. What I later found out is that it continued to upload in the background, slowing my service to a crawl. It would take hours to download an audio file. It was nearly impossible to send a photo or pdf attachment unless I used 3G (which has a very low cap compared to DSL.)

I use a Mac. If an app is running, it's supposed to show up in the dock with a glowing oval under it, or as an icon in the menu bar. This one didn't. I finally checked Activity Monitor (somethng a casual Mac user really shouldn't need to do or even know about) and found it was still running and was using most of my memory.   I had to Google "How to uninstall Google Music Beta." It would not quit by closing it, even though it asked me if I was sure and I said yes.

Bottom line is that if AT&T DSL tech support had been somewhat armed with technical information, they could have saved the company a customer. I now have Comcast internet. I got a good introductory price, but also had to reset the modem almost every day. Another technician came out and said the last guy did everything wrong (that is usually what happens!) and now my service is reliable -- at least for a week. I've also gone from always being under 3.0 down and .80 up average to speeds ranging from 12-20 down and  4-6 up. 

One thing that I truly dislike is that AT&T DSL tech support is outsourced overseas. Besides the poor call quality and the language barrier, these 3rd party customers have no true vested interest in the customer relationship. Their customer is AT&T, not the user. Why should they do more than keep up the stats on number of calls? When I called to cancel, I never said it was because tech support failed to figure out my problem. I just said the speeds were not acceptable. If anyone from AT&T support is reading this, maybe they will realize that some accounts that leave are the fault of poor support. 

22 of 38 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 10:04:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Myrtle,
Reading your post pains me, it's customers like you and "upset" that I try to have some form of contact with because I sincerely love AT&T (the company). True the service is DSL so there's no getting around the slow upload speeds. It's just a fact of life but beyond that, AT&T's service is the most reliable service I've found. Yes, the Tech Support can sometimes leave more to be desired but that's with just about any "free" helpdesk. The outsourced helpdesks are unfortunately the price we pay for "$14.99 per month" DSL service. AT&T for being such a large company, tries to emphasize the "customer experience" but unfortunately there are those customers who don't get the chance to see that. These forums are full of customers who know this fact all too well and that's a shame but sometimes, just sometimes, there are those at AT&T who care so much about the company and their customers, they provide help here (off the clock) and those customers they touch, usually get resolved. I just wish there were more of them. Good luck with your cable service, I know the speeds are nice but I've seen a lot of complaints about cable Internet and its reliability. Are you in an area where U-Verse is available? It's like the best of both worlds. You get the "cable like" throughput speeds and you get the reliability of being with AT&T. Have a good one.
Myrtle,
Reading your post pains me, it's customers like you and "upset" that I try to have some form of contact with because I sincerely love AT&T (the company). True the service is DSL so there's no getting around the slow upload speeds. It's just a fact of life but beyond that, AT&T's service is the most reliable service I've found. Yes, the Tech Support can sometimes leave more to be desired but that's with just about any "free" helpdesk. The outsourced helpdesks are unfortunately the price we pay for "$14.99 per month" DSL service. AT&T for being such a large company, tries to emphasize the "customer experience" but unfortunately there are those customers who don't get the chance to see that. These forums are full of customers who know this fact all too well and that's a shame but sometimes, just sometimes, there are those at AT&T who care so much about the company and their customers, they provide help here (off the clock) and those customers they touch, usually get resolved. I just wish there were more of them. Good luck with your cable service, I know the speeds are nice but I've seen a lot of complaints about cable Internet and its reliability. Are you in an area where U-Verse is available? It's like the best of both worlds. You get the "cable like" throughput speeds and you get the reliability of being with AT&T. Have a good one.

23 of 38 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 6:11:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

U-Verse was a consideration, but it's not yet available at my address. (According to some people. Others say it is. )The online tool to check your address came up "yes" once for me a year ago and now always says "no." This is another technical problem with AT&T. Some of my neighbors reported being solicited door-to-door by a u-verse sales team, so I guess it's getting nearer.

I have paid for a DSL modem that I only used for one year. I now lease a modem from Comcast at a whopping $7/month.  I have my own routers. If I switch to U-Verse, there will be another investment in equipment. I honestly don't care a lot about television, but I love my TiVo (works with cable, but not with U-Verse at this time, and I wonder why that's so.)

What I will do is revisit my situation at the end of Comcast's introductory price period and then compare the offerings of all internet providers in my area. 

By the way, I never got a price of $14.95. I was charged $35/month and then got a $5 discount for bundled billing -- which they removed after about 6 months. That amounted to a price increase without any increase in service. 

U-Verse was a consideration, but it's not yet available at my address. (According to some people. Others say it is. )The online tool to check your address came up "yes" once for me a year ago and now always says "no." This is another technical problem with AT&T. Some of my neighbors reported being solicited door-to-door by a u-verse sales team, so I guess it's getting nearer.

I have paid for a DSL modem that I only used for one year. I now lease a modem from Comcast at a whopping $7/month.  I have my own routers. If I switch to U-Verse, there will be another investment in equipment. I honestly don't care a lot about television, but I love my TiVo (works with cable, but not with U-Verse at this time, and I wonder why that's so.)

What I will do is revisit my situation at the end of Comcast's introductory price period and then compare the offerings of all internet providers in my area. 

By the way, I never got a price of $14.95. I was charged $35/month and then got a $5 discount for bundled billing -- which they removed after about 6 months. That amounted to a price increase without any increase in service. 

24 of 38 (959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 11:52:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by upsetuser on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:55:26 PM

@myrtle i couldn't agree more.

I also was apart of the Google Music Beta and also knew that it would download in the background. I knew about this the second day i had it installed and have since had to not run with my computer, infact it's actually uninstalled. I wish this was a simple fix and all would be well, but sadly as you and i have both stated, ATT's service is not what it used to be and i hope that their tarnished reputation be fixed soon, for their sake and all it's customers who didn't switch like i did.

@cb

May i ask, are you running the 6.0 Mbps Dry Loop Elite plan? It seems that everyone i have spoke to that are facing these problem have this plan. Others on the ATT network haven't had such problems. It seems this plan is getting neglected and thus the consequences of lost customers becomes known.

@myrtle i couldn't agree more.

I also was apart of the Google Music Beta and also knew that it would download in the background. I knew about this the second day i had it installed and have since had to not run with my computer, infact it's actually uninstalled. I wish this was a simple fix and all would be well, but sadly as you and i have both stated, ATT's service is not what it used to be and i hope that their tarnished reputation be fixed soon, for their sake and all it's customers who didn't switch like i did.

@cb

May i ask, are you running the 6.0 Mbps Dry Loop Elite plan? It seems that everyone i have spoke to that are facing these problem have this plan. Others on the ATT network haven't had such problems. It seems this plan is getting neglected and thus the consequences of lost customers becomes known.

[ Edited ]
25 of 38 (940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 12:18:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
I am but I'm approximately 600ft from my DSLAM so my speeds are nearing 7-8 Megs at times. The reason a lot of people on the 6.0Meg plans have issues is that they're beyond 5500ft from the CO/DSLAM. more than about 5500ft or 6k ft and you're going to see some bandwidth restriction.
I am but I'm approximately 600ft from my DSLAM so my speeds are nearing 7-8 Megs at times. The reason a lot of people on the 6.0Meg plans have issues is that they're beyond 5500ft from the CO/DSLAM. more than about 5500ft or 6k ft and you're going to see some bandwidth restriction.

26 of 38 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 3:23:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

The thing is, it wasn't just "some" bandwidth restrictions and it wasn't all the time, it was most of the time but it would also fix itself for a little while, that shows that it's nothing to do with distance from the DSLAM

The thing is, it wasn't just "some" bandwidth restrictions and it wasn't all the time, it was most of the time but it would also fix itself for a little while, that shows that it's nothing to do with distance from the DSLAM

27 of 38 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 3:26:53 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yep, that sounds more like an interference issue. That's why the modem's DSL statistics were so important but you've moved to cable Internet now so I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point. I hope you have a better experience.
Yep, that sounds more like an interference issue. That's why the modem's DSL statistics were so important but you've moved to cable Internet now so I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point. I hope you have a better experience.

28 of 38 (919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 10:22:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cannonwillow on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:55:44 PM

Just switched from a cable company to at@t high speed internet. I am very disappointedMan Sad

why is my upload speed always higher than download speed?

I told my wife not to get unless 6 mb was available, she thought 768 was greater than 6. ouch....  I would be somewhat less disappointed with something that approaches 768kbs

details of broadband link details if they mean anything:

Downstream Rate: 768 kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 10.0 dB (Downstream) 18.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 15.5 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

Just switched from a cable company to at@t high speed internet. I am very disappointedMan Sad

why is my upload speed always higher than download speed?

I told my wife not to get unless 6 mb was available, she thought 768 was greater than 6. ouch....  I would be somewhat less disappointed with something that approaches 768kbs

details of broadband link details if they mean anything:

Downstream Rate: 768 kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 10.0 dB (Downstream) 18.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 15.5 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

[ Edited ]
29 of 38 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 11:49:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

Hi Cannon and welcome, though I wish I was greeting you under better circumstances. Posting your port stats like that was a very good idea, it helps us to better understand your signal issues. Here's what I've got for ya so far:

Your modem is IN SYNC with the network at 768K downstream and 384K upstream which appears to be within what would be  considered "normal" parameters for a DSL Lite (768K) connection. The Noise Margins on the line are within stable range at 10.0dB downstream and 18.0dB upstream (when they drop below 6.0dB the signal becomes unstable, breaks apart, and the user experiences intermittent connectivity). This means that there's not an issue with interference on your line so we can rule that out. Moving on to the important part for your issue and that the DSL's Attenuation, the downstream attenuation being measured at 63.0dB means that your loop length is probably somewhere around 18,000ft from the CO/DSLAM and your DSL signal is being stretched pretty far. If that is truly the case (and reading these port stats, I believe it to be so) then no matter what your wife thought, you wouldn't qualify for 6.0Meg DSL or even 3.0Meg DSL service anyway. At the very best you might qualify for an upgrade to 1.5Meg DSL service but that would really depend on what your loop length is actually measured at. Here's some info for a point of reference:

For 6.0Meg DSL:

MAX Recommended Loop Length: approximately 5500ft from the CO/DSLAM

MAX Line Attenuation: 36dB

MIN Signal to Noise Ratio (or Noise Margin): 6.0dB

For 3.0Meg DSL:

MAX Recommended Loop Length: approximately 12,000ft from the CO/DSLAM

MAX Line Attenuation: 56dB

For 1.5Meg DSL:

MAX Recommended Loop Length: approximately 18,000ft from the CO/DSLAM

MAX Line Attenuation: 65dB

For 768K DSL:

The values listed above aren't EXACT but they are accurate and if you know the line's attenuation, you can usually make a pretty close guess at the loop length. That being said and with the understanding that your (Cannon's) speeds will never be on the "high end" of the DSL spectrum, the downstream throughput that you're measuring between 210 and 220Kbps should be a bit higher. Seeing that the modem is syncing up at 768K on it's WAN (or Internet) port, the next thing I look at here is exactly what type of modem are you using? Is it a "single user" modem that has only one Ethernet (LAN) port on the back of the device and that Ethernet cable is connected directly to a single computer? (ie: Motorola 2210, Westell F-90, Netopia 2241, etc...) If the modem is of the "single user" variety, are you connecting more than one computer through a router, are you using Wi-Fi during these tests, if you have a router how many machines do you have on your network? There are any number of things that can negatively affect your throughput speeds on the LAN side of the connection. Once again seeing the modem IN SYNC at 768K, tells us this is most likely an application or device on your computer or network that is using up what little bandwidth you actually do have on the connection. Hope this helps and if there's any other questions you have, feel free to post here. Good luck!

Hi Cannon and welcome, though I wish I was greeting you under better circumstances. Posting your port stats like that was a very good idea, it helps us to better understand your signal issues. Here's what I've got for ya so far:

Your modem is IN SYNC with the network at 768K downstream and 384K upstream which appears to be within what would be  considered "normal" parameters for a DSL Lite (768K) connection. The Noise Margins on the line are within stable range at 10.0dB downstream and 18.0dB upstream (when they drop below 6.0dB the signal becomes unstable, breaks apart, and the user experiences intermittent connectivity). This means that there's not an issue with interference on your line so we can rule that out. Moving on to the important part for your issue and that the DSL's Attenuation, the downstream attenuation being measured at 63.0dB means that your loop length is probably somewhere around 18,000ft from the CO/DSLAM and your DSL signal is being stretched pretty far. If that is truly the case (and reading these port stats, I believe it to be so) then no matter what your wife thought, you wouldn't qualify for 6.0Meg DSL or even 3.0Meg DSL service anyway. At the very best you might qualify for an upgrade to 1.5Meg DSL service but that would really depend on what your loop length is actually measured at. Here's some info for a point of reference:

For 6.0Meg DSL:

MAX Recommended Loop Length: approximately 5500ft from the CO/DSLAM

MAX Line Attenuation: 36dB

For 3.0Meg DSL:

MAX Recommended Loop Length: approximately 12,000ft from the CO/DSLAM

MAX Line Attenuation: 56dB

For 1.5Meg DSL:

For 768K DSL:

The values listed above aren't EXACT but they are accurate and if you know the line's attenuation, you can usually make a pretty close guess at the loop length. That being said and with the understanding that your (Cannon's) speeds will never be on the "high end" of the DSL spectrum, the downstream throughput that you're measuring between 210 and 220Kbps should be a bit higher. Seeing that the modem is syncing up at 768K on it's WAN (or Internet) port, the next thing I look at here is exactly what type of modem are you using? Is it a "single user" modem that has only one Ethernet (LAN) port on the back of the device and that Ethernet cable is connected directly to a single computer? (ie: Motorola 2210, Westell F-90, Netopia 2241, etc...) If the modem is of the "single user" variety, are you connecting more than one computer through a router, are you using Wi-Fi during these tests, if you have a router how many machines do you have on your network? There are any number of things that can negatively affect your throughput speeds on the LAN side of the connection. Once again seeing the modem IN SYNC at 768K, tells us this is most likely an application or device on your computer or network that is using up what little bandwidth you actually do have on the connection. Hope this helps and if there's any other questions you have, feel free to post here. Good luck!

30 of 38 (854 Views)