What is the AT&T Self Support Tool?

Employee

What is the AT&T Self Support Tool?

The AT&T Self Support Tool is the latest AT&T wizard-driven application designed to detect and resolve common High Speed Internet service issues. The Self Support Tool can rectify a range of issues from connectivity to email problems. It provides multiple utilities and can assist you in managing your home network. The Self Support Tool attempts to resolve issues to get you back up and running. However, if you still need to call Technical Support, the tool provides you with the support phone number. Additionally, it provides information to more effectively communicate with the Technical Analyst, drastically reducing your time on the phone. Manually Launching the Tool You can manually launch the Self Support Tool in either one of the following three ways: Double-click the White Van icon in the system tray. Double-click the Self Support Tool icon on your desktop. Select AT&T Self Support Tool from the Program menu. The Self Support Tool Home Page will display. Note the top navigation toolbar (with five tabs) and the three main options in the center of the home page. These tabs and options provide a variety of ways to access the troubleshooting utilities. Auto Launching the Self Support Tool The Self Support Tool can also be launched from a Self Support Tool dialog box that automatically displays when an issue is detected. The dialog box will display if the Self Support Tool detects an error from common supported Internet applications, such as Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. When you select Repair Now, the Self Support Tool launches and begins to resolve your issue. Troubleshooting Issues 1. Email Issues Are you experiencing a problem sending or receiving email from a supported email application? From the Self Support Tool Home Page, select Check and Repair setttings or go to the Tools & Settings tab, and select Email. If the Self Support Tool does not detect any issues with your email, the tool allows you to immediately test your email for sending and receiving by selecting Tools & Settings and then Test Email. From Test Email Account screen, enter your email password and click Send. 2. High Speed Internet Connection Issues If you are experiencing an issue with your connection to the Internet, you can select the Check and Repair settings from the tool's home page or select Tools & Settings from the main tab and then choose the appropriate action (i.e., Browser, System, etc.) which assists you in performing tests on Internet connection. The Self Support Tool can also determine when you have an issue with your connection. When this occurs, you will see the following message: You can click on Repair Now and follow the simple instructions to resolve the issue. Many factors can cause a connection issue. The Self Support Tool identifies the most common connection problems by running a series of tests on your High Speed Internet connection and modem. To run the connection diagnostic tests, you must click Next. If the tool is able to isolate the issue, it guides you through instructions to correct the issue. For example, if the data cable was accidentally unplugged, the instructions guide you through a flow of how to check and reconnect the cables. Once the data cable is plugged back in, the Self Support Tool retests the connection to ensure the issue was resolved. If issue is resolved, the Self Support Tool returns with a successful test; you can begin surfing the Internet again by selecting Start browsing now. 3. Computer Checkup The Self Support Tool also allows you to perform computer checkups that help optimize your basic computer settings for the best browsing experience. From the Tools & Settings tab, click Browser. The Self Support Tool automatically checks for several items that help optimize your Internet experience. If something needs updating, you will see an Exclamation beside the option and a Fix this issue link. Click the link to fix the identified problem. Note: No updates will be made without clicking the Fix this issue link. You can also click the System tab (from Tools & Settings) for additional analysis with your computer check up. 4. Managing your Home Network You can also manage your home network using the Self Support Tool. Select View your home network from the tool home page (middle column) or the Home Network tab from the top navigation bar. From here you can view all of the computers, printers and various peripherals assigned to each computer. You can also share folders or music with different computers within your home.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 7 (14,369 Views)
Contributor

Re: What is the AT&T Self Support Tool?

I have it installed on my computer. However when I booted up this morning I found it showing 3 red  "ground symbol" bars and upon hovering it says "Not connected" ? how do I trouble shoot?

Message 2 of 7 (14,369 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello larryjf,

I sincerely apologize for the tourble you've been experiencing. 

The AT&T Self Support tool is the most convienient way to check if your computer is having High Speed Internet service issues including connection, email, and PC Health issues.

I am certain that the red "ground symbol" on your system tray that says "Not connected" is referring to your wireless connection.

The AT&T Self Support tool manages to detect that wireless connection on your computer.

If your computer has wireless capability then your Self Support tool will detect the wireless connection.

But if you are not using wireless connection then it will definetely say " Not COnnected".

You may further verify the name of the icon by pointing at it using your mouse pointer. 

Now, if it is really your wireless connection that is down just select on the menu that will come out "View Wireless Networks"

If you are able to recognize the SSID shown on the list just click on it and connect then carefully type in the WEP key to connect.

You can also use this link to further verfiy:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401462

This link can further help you with o how tk manage your Self Support

tool: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB400290

For further assistance you can chat us back anytime of the day by clicking on this link:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 3 of 7 (14,369 Views)
Contributor

After the latest update of my AT&T Service and support tool I noticed two glitches

1. When Windows boots up in the very early stage a window pops up " This program cannot display the webpage" for Redirect.htm.  I have to x it out otherwise it will never go away.  It appears that this program wants to go to the Internet before my network connection is completed.  I can make this go away if I disable program UpdateFlow.ATT-SST in my startup.  I don't know what this program is supposed to do, or what I am missing by not having it enabled.

2. In my system tray there are now two ATT symbols (blue striped globe): one when clicked on, brings up the ATT service and self support window, the other has 3 decreasing size red hashmarks on it and when clicked on it says : "Not connected". Why is this there and what should I do about it.

Reply appreciated

Steve Szappanos

Message 4 of 7 (14,369 Views)
Employee

Hello szappanos,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the AT&T Self Support Tool is not working properly, please try to reinstall it. To uninstall the self support tool from your computer, please try these steps mentioned below:

1. Click on the Start button.

2. Click on Control Panel.

3. Click on Programs and Features.

Note: If you are using Windows XP click on 'Add or Remove program' under Control Panel window.

4. Click on AT&T Self Support Tool.

5. Click the Uninstall/Change button.

6. Click the Continue button.

7. Click the Yes button.

8. Click the Close button.

After uninstalling the self support tool please reinstall it through the link mentioned below:

http://patttbc.att.motive.com/motivedocs/installers/ATT_SST_Installer.exe

After trying to reinstall AT&T Self Support tool if the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T tier 2 support at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 7 (14,369 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem that you had/have:

two ATT symbols (blue striped globe): one when clicked on, brings up the ATT service and self support window, the other has 3 decreasing size red hashmarks on it and when clicked on it says : "Not connected"

Did the "expert's" advice to re-install clear up the problem for you?

I called the support ph num, and since I use Mozilla Firefox, they could not help me....

Tried using the chat support and it was worthless.

BTW... I am using wireless connection to my dsl, e.g., the ONLY cord from my computer is a power cord.

The explanation from ATT support staff keep wanting to tell me that I'm NOT using wireless connection,

but there is NO cable from my computer to my modem.

Thx for any info you can provide.

Message 6 of 7 (11,640 Views)

My fix for the 3 decreasing size red hashmarks on the ATT globe icon in sys tray

I'm posting this reply to my earlier post:

After several hours of trying to seek help from ATT support for this problem:

FINALLY, on my own, I got the red bars to change to green by opening up the ATT Service and Support icon,
going to Home WI-FI, then going to "View and Maintain" connections to home... the system THEN found my wireless connection - and voila!  Red bars turned to green.  If the install instructions from ATT told me to do this,
I sure didn't see it, and you'd think the online chat help and phone tech support could have told me to try doing this!

Message 7 of 7 (11,632 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.