Web email interface hijacked to Virus checking page

Contributor

Web email interface hijacked to Virus checking page

Over the last week or so, frequently while checking email using the ATT/Yahoo web interface, the browser is switched over to some virus scanning page that attempts to download suspicious or malicous software. I quickly close it down. When it happened yesterday, my virus software detected an attempt to download a Trojan, which I was able to block. This is making the web email inteface unusable. This problem ONLY occurs when using the ATT/Yahoo interface. Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Trying to get actual tech support from ATT/Yahoo is an excercise in frustration.
Message 1 of 10 (916 Views)
Lithium Technologies

Re: Web email interface hijacked to Virus checking page

Hello,

Can you tell me what state you are in, so I can see if technical support can assist you?

Thanks,

Trey 

Message 2 of 10 (916 Views)
Contributor

New Jersey
Message 3 of 10 (916 Views)
Mentor

could be a spyware/trojan triggered by ads. does it occur at the att.yahoo.com or at the att.yahoo.com/mail site?

Message 4 of 10 (916 Views)
Contributor

It's occurred on the att yahoo mail site: http://us.mc1806.mail.yahoo.com
Message 5 of 10 (916 Views)
Contributor

This IS a virus that is spreading like wild! You need to get a tech person to remove it from your computer. A friend of mine has been removing this virus since Friday. It is attached to an ad that is on the email page. Good luck!
Message 6 of 10 (916 Views)
Mentor

yah, it looks like the att mail ads have been hijacked... good thing your antivirus detected the trojan/suspicious file and was able to block it. i'd still suggest that you run a complete scan of your system to make sure it's clean.

in the meantime, you can try accessing your email on a client email program like outlook or outlook express. at least it's ads-free.

Message 7 of 10 (916 Views)
Contributor

I live in Louisiana and twice in the past week I have had spam e-mails sent to everyone on my address book. On Friday, they went out as group e-mails ... three groupings. After being made aware, I sent out emails to everyone advising them it was spam and that the link inside activated a virus. Last night, it sent individual emails to everyone in my address book ... all with an imbedded virus. Finding help on the AT&T/Yahoo site is like winning the lottery ... VERY LONG ODDS. Obviously the "new and improved" AT&T/Yahoo mail's security leaves much to be desired. Any suggestions from anyone other than changing mail servers?
Message 8 of 10 (916 Views)
Contributor

This is happening again, Aug 2011.
Message 9 of 10 (457 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 10 of 10 (456 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.